New to GoPro underwater video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any recommendations for things I can find on amazon or ebay? Or, will pretty much anything work?

I've just got a Bro-Pro (Go Pro camera tray with handles - Bro-Pro - your camera companion) and it works a treat, no need to buy a tray, pole and handle this has everything in one at a fraction of the cost. I did some videoing in the Farne Islands and it worked great. Off to Egypt next week so I will get a load of use our of it.

Hope this helps

Before your trip, practice with the GoPro. While he in the orientation phase with the GoPro, he will soon realize that the wide angle will capture everything he points the camera at and doesn't need an LED back,

I disagree. The LCD back is invaluable in making sure the primary video object is centered in the frame. Especially when shooting in medium or narrow mode.

I disagree. The LCD back is invaluable in making sure the primary video object is centered in the frame. Especially when shooting in medium or narrow mode.

I'm with electric diver. Proper framing is one of the things that separates a beginner video from an intermediate. Do you want your videos to tell a story ? How about that really big fish or coral head you saw ? Can't tell how big it is on video unless you have a diver in the frame as a reference. Can't frame it properly unless you can see exactly what the camera see's.

Maybe it depends on the individual, some see things in the big picture and the brain interprets, like shooting a shotgun. The best shooters shoot by instinct, not aiming, that's why practice and reviewing your video soon after shooting is important. For example, the video below was shot with a GoPro 3 Black suspended under a SRP tray, another GP 3 Black was on top with a 10X macro lens taking still shots, all on a night dive. No LED backs, just pointing by instinct.

GoPro is an action video camera and I would challenge anyone to try to track a moving moorish idol at night by looking at a tiny LED screen. Here's another experiment for you; look at an object, then close your eyes and point at that object with your eyes closed, then open and see if you are pointing at the object with your shooting eye. Of course you have to be neurologically intact to do this, think about a field DUI test where you have to close your eyes and touch your nose.

Now we are speaking about action video, if we were shooting still life or landscapes, by all means, spend as much time as you like looking at a display, either mirrored or LED.

If you feel the need, please, buy a LED display and spend your dive looking at a tiny screen, rather than the beauty that surrounds you.

[video=vimeo;74558760]http://vimeo.com/74558760[/video]

I guess it does depend on the individual.

Below is a short clip of a large barrel sponge. I wanted my wife to swim into the frame next to the sponge to create interest and show the size of the sponge. I cannot frame properly without seeing exactly what the camera sees.

[vimeo]64353126[/vimeo]

shooting without lcd is possible... i guess it comes with experience... play more.. shoot more.. just have fun with it...

Please take a look at our selection of GoPro accessories as well. We have inexpensive haandles, an extension pole, a double handle tray system that is modular and allows the addition of twin 890 lumen lights, The tray system also has "sand spikes" that allow you to place the system on the bottom and allow it to film as you back away from the scene.

We also have three custom made filters and even our own custom designed speargun mounts (as well as the standard head mount and other hardware). We even have a wrist mounted mirror that can be used to check if the "red light is on" when you use a head mount.

NOTE: we recommend that the head mount be worn under a hood for security.

GoPro Cameras / Speargun Camera Brackets

MAR15H-2.jpg

M2HTCTLM-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom