New to GoPro underwater video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are you looking for?
I have the GoPole Reach Amazon.com: GoPole REACH - Telescoping Extension Pole for GoPro HERO Cameras 17-40": Camera & Photo which is pretty damn sturdy telescopic but most poles will function just a pole. I'm not too fond of them because they tend to shake a lot but are good for getting the camera into tight spots.
A basic short grip like this one is recommended by many: UK Pro Pole Mount for GoPro - 22"/Agent Orange : Amazon.com : Automotive
I have this one but havent used it for UW filming though: Amazon.com: Grenade Grip - Hand Grip for GoPro® HERO Cameras: Camera & Photo

Best option is a tray: Amazon.com: gopro tray: Automotive
or the SRP tray: SRP Tray which I have as well.

With GoPro's the options are limitless.

I'll give him the SRP URPRO CYD Dome lens and tray for Christmas -
Arianna
Probably a misquote but the dome filter is for GoPro 2 GoPro housing. You will need the naked 55mm click on filter holder and a 55mm UR Pro CY filter or if only for snorkeling, the shallow filter may be better. If just learning to dive, wouldn't want to make it more complicated than that, and maybe think about getting a wrist mount instead to use until he is comfortable with diving and can devote some concentration to video. The wrist mount with SRP filters would be the best option to start. The SRP glass is superior to plastic filters IMO, less likely to attract and hold bubbles than plastic.
Bracing one arm against the other with a wrist mount gives amazing stability.
Don't take me wrong, I have two SRP trays and absolutely love them, but they are a tool that requires attention, attention that may best be devoted to diving in the learning phase.

Before your trip, practice with the GoPro. While he in the orientation phase with the GoPro, he will soon realize that the wide angle will capture everything he points the camera at and doesn't need an LED back, so he should practice shooting video of the cat, dog or what ever with wrist mount to get a feel for the camera characteristics at home. This will make for one less distraction while learning to dive.

Be cautious about opening the camera case while on the water, wet hands and humidity can be a recipe for disaster.

Looking forward to video of the adventure :)

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate all of the advice - especially about the retractable clip. I'd read about that and had completely forgotten to purchase one. And he has been practicing filming the dog, which is incredibly helpful. You're absolutely correct that you don't really need the back to help you capture your subject (lesson learned!). I'm new enough to this to be shocked by how much memory a short standard video requires (I think he's using 1800/60?). Since we won't have access to a computer to download images, I'm considering buying a second memory card...or is that overkill?

I'll double check on the red filter - just to ensure I bought the correct one. As I bought the correct polarizer and macro lenses, I'm hopeful that I didn't do something goofy.

And yes, I like to think my hubby's a lucky guy:blinking: LOL.

It depends on the size of your current SD card, most likely you'll want pick up another one or two, so you can go longer without transferring your footage onto a computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

T Since we won't have access to a computer to download images, I'm considering buying a second memory card...or is that overkill?

I'll double check on the red filter - just to ensure I bought the correct one. As I bought the correct polarizer and macro lenses, I'm hopeful that I didn't do something goofy.
And yes, I like to think my hubby's a lucky guy:blinking: LOL.

Probably won't need the macro (can't attach filter) the polarizing filter is for topside. Buy one 64 GB card for every day you will be videoing to be sure and since you have so much invested already, take a netbook with SD card slot and external USB HDD and back up the card at night while the camera is charging. That's probably overkill but better too much capacity than too little. I usually have ~ 16GB on the card after 2 dives (no battery change)

just remember your task-loading will increase a lot when you 1st start trying to video... buoyancy and trim are important. I use my Hero 2 with a DIY tray that i can mount lights to (once i have extra money for the lights) --
depending on how the gopro is attached to the tray you might want to make sure there are 2 tethers -- 1 to keep the gopro attached to the tray and the other to tether to you.
i haven't had the greatest luck with the stick-ons so i went with the handlebar mount.

I was disappointed to learn there's no good way to do macro shots underwater with the GoPro...but with two "heathens" in Scouts, I decided to get the polarizer and macro lens any way. I'm sure they'll find a use for them on their outing this weekend!

Macro shooting is difficult but possible. There are some macro lenses that have enough threading on top to allow a another red filter to be attached. The way I see it and do it is that if your getting close enough to something to macro film, you're better off using lights while doing it. Also important to switch camera to Narrow FOV when filming macro with the macro lenses. Lyndon C has done it with good success but used a combination of 2 or more macro lenses stacked (combined):
[video=youtube_share;Cxqy5BvfaGg]http://youtu.be/Cxqy5BvfaGg[/video]

I've done it myself too and plan on stacking a few more lenses as well but they can get bulky.

Back
Top Bottom