New to SB and new to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aangaroo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I got certified in January and went to dive abroad in Japan.

Have questions on dive sites, experience levels, and safety I'd like to ask in other forums around here.

Cheers!

Welcome. You're based in Texas but just recently got certified and your trip diving abroad was way off in Japan, which isn't often pushed as a big dive destination (though people occasionally post of diving there). That's an interesting story I suspect is missing some pieces. What led you to Japan? What did you think of the diving?

Richard.

Welcome. You're based in Texas but just recently got certified and your trip diving abroad was way off in Japan, which isn't often pushed as a big dive destination (though people occasionally post of diving there). That's an interesting story I suspect is missing some pieces. What led you to Japan? What did you think of the diving?

Richard.
Hi Richard,

I was already planning on going to Japan with some buddies so I went off on my own for a bit to dive in Okinawa. Based on conversations with my DM, scuba is very popular in Okinawa.

I have no reference since it was my first dive trip. In Okinawa, water was relatively warm around 70F and visibility was probably around 10m. In Izu, visibility was noticeably worse and water was probably around 58F.

Mostly saw reef fish and eels and I don't really have an eye for macro stuff yet. Overall, fun dives and I would go again to check out the other dive sites. It's also relatively easy to access about an hour away from Tokyo.

Welcome to the cul--- I mean forums! :)

I've always been curious about diving in Japan. I plan a lot of my vacations around diving, so this could be the excuse to tour Japan!

We look forward to your questions!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom