New to spearfishing, want recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After doing tons of reading, I've come to the conclusion that I need to actually go spearfishing. If anyone within 1-2 hours drive of Seattle wouldn't mind having an good scuba diver(me) come and observe, please let me know. My personal e-mail address is my username plus @gmail.com. I'm up for a dive anytime of the day. I'm currently diving alki (coves and junk piles) about 3 times a week.

I'll post a little more info about myself and my diving. I'm 6 foot, 215 pounds. The Army taught me to workout, so I run a bunch. I have the upper body strength to easily fire my Kimber .45, and take the recoil with ease. So a speargun with a powerful kick won't phase me. I enjoy diving to deeper water, but only if I have a target like crab, fish or shrimp. If I can't hunt I'd rather stay shallow so I get to stay underwater for longer. I have really good breathing control, and love to catch shrimp by hovering above them and very slowly descending the 12-18 inches and catch the shrimp by hand. I have hunting experience such as deer in North Carolina, Missouri, Kansas, Georgia, and once in Texas, small game in Kansas and Missouri, and plenty of hook and line trips.

Someone had noticed that I am currently without a dive buddy, and that's true. I am looking for a dive buddy, but due to my enthusiasm with diving I've yet to find a good replacement. Although there are two divers who consider me their dive buddy. They each dive once every 1-2 weeks, and like I said above I dive atleast twice a week.

So, anyone interested in showing me the speargun ropes?

Quentusrex If interested in spearfishing and willing to come to whidbey Island, I'll teach you, I have plenty of tanks weights. I will teach you with a Pneumatic and a rubberband gun, we don't have a big season right now, But the task of Spearfishing is what you want to learn. you can park at the state park in mukilteo for free for the day, Just stay out of the diamond parking area, I'll pick you up on clinton ferry dock on whidbey. About four bucks over and free back for passenger.

Brandy,

Tell us what you really mean?

What are the problems with JBL?
1)
2)
3)
etc etc etc....

Also what do you think of the Voit and/or the Mares guns that looked like the JBL? Were they any good?

Inquiring shooters want to know....

The newer JBL's break at the handle , seen it twice .
Get a gun with solid stock.

The collar on the shafts freeze and you cant get them loose.
Have to order new shaft, seen it three times.

There are some that use the same one for years but the newer ones seem underbuilt.

Most but not all people that spear regularly that have owned JBL's either sell them or put them in the corner to collect dust.

Opinions are a dime a dozen though.

Sorry for the short post earlier Thanks and get out and slayem

Sam
Ive seen pics of the voits but not the real thing.
As for the Mares ive shot the pnumatic , diddnt care for it.

I did buy some guns from an older spearo that you might be able to help me ID.
Its manufacturer was ULTIMTE DIVE PRODUCTS.
From what he said it was one of the prefered guns of the commecial spearfisherman in the early 80's.
I will get some pics up. He said you could also get it in an over - under?

FYI...Joe B. Monica designed the gun for Voit in about 1967 -who marketed it. Voit went out of business Mares purchased Voit ..sold the gun, they dropped the gun, Joe began marketing the gun under his initials JBL....ALL the same gun. Joe passed on 2-3 years ago, his son Larry ran the company for a while, then it was sold and moved from Orange Cal to San Diego It is now owned and being improved every day in every way by its new owner Guy Skinner.

Its main market base is overseas and not USA...so there!

The Ultimate gun had an over and under model was displayed at DEMA in early 1980, was made in Florida... as I recall it was a square tube gun with line releases top & bottom. Lots of line!
It never went over in California.

There has been a history of 2 barreled spear guns. The first that comes to mind it the Cressi Doublete of the 1960s. The middle of the barrel was a spring powered gun and the rest of the gun was normal configurated rubber powered band gun.

There have been several others over the years all failures... not worth mentioning.

My favorite aluminum rubber band gun is a Balco sub (thunder 90) Iv'e had it for I want to say decades Never a problem. Shot close to 60 fish 2007 on it, Big lings and cabazon.

Mares service is not much of a ideal spearfisherman way to go. I tried to get them to relize this.

Cressie will take care of your O-ring service at a affordable rate.

Pneumatics are for sure a gun that takes a little to get use to.

Of course I dont hunt in good viz like you hunters do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom