New to tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
If you are interested in some recommendations for instruction, please feel free to PM me.

Doppler:

Sorry, Steve, I have no recommendations for instruction for YOU!

Steve I went to buy your book but it said it was unavailable, is there another place besides amazon where I might find it.

Steve I went to buy your book but it said it was unavailable, is there another place besides amazon where I might find it.

Inventory at Amazon is gonna take a few days to update... try my Create Space store:

https://www.createspace.com/3726246

And thanks.

A friend of mine has just offered to give me his drysuit, it hasn't been used in 3 years. It is a Parkway Systems? I've never heard of it. Anyone know anything about it. If it fits me you can't beat free. I still want to get a high quality one but if this works for now to get me in the water before June, I can't pass it up.

I've been down this road recently (I'm pretty new too, will finally be doing planned deco dives in a couple weeks) so I hope I can offer some insight. I've learned a bit while being pretty open about wanting to get into tec(h) from day one, and chatting/diving with a lot of tec divers on boats...

• The sooner you get appropriate equipment the better. If it turns out to not be for you...well that's a risk you should and your wallet consider before doing so. Technical gear can still be used for recreational dives. :)

• It'd be a good idea to find out from someone knowledgable (at your LDS) what equipment to get. If you don't have a backplate yet, you should get one but be very conservative when it comes to cutting it. (for all but the largest divers it comes with a ridiculously long strap) When an actual tec instructor looks at it and shows you how to set it up the right way, you may need more of the strap than you thought.

• Tec is fragmented. Groups are often centered around one or more individuals seeking capable buddies for complicated dives who won't get them killed. Around here, I've met DIR divers, DIY(seriously) divers, I'm getting in with a PADI group supported by my LDS (fragmentation exists in the same organization, by the way), and there's a fourth contingent with some instructors at my LDS.

• I'd refrain from buying secondary gear until you get closer to tec classes. Different groups will often use different secondary gear and configure it differently.

• How quickly you decide to get into tec is entirely up to you, and the instructor you're most comfortable with. (and vice versa) The first level of tec deep only requires 50 dives because some people _do_ pick things up that quickly. It helps to have a goal-oriented/analytical mindset to begin with.

• I don't know if you play boat roulette as much as I do, but if you get paired with a tec diver, observe them in the water and try to imitate!

Also, it really doesn't hurt to meet up with tec instructors now. A good instructor can not only give you spoken advice, but will mold you through trim/fundies classes into a way better diver. :)

Good luck!

I would add that you need to gain alot of information from a lot of people. While doing so keep an open mind, however you need to be running multiple applications of anti virus software or you mind will be filled with bull$hit. sifting out which is which is a bigger trick than the training itself.
Eric

I agree with sarysa the Greek. Just be careful of the "LDS". I hope you read the PM I sent you. The first shop I went to set me up all wrong. Luckily my gut was telling me something was not right after a few pool sessions, internet searches, a phone call to a fellow diver, a discussion about nitrox (Death Gas? not my opinion) and Long and short hose (Dog Leash? not my opinion), I found a second shop within an hour's drive. They straightened me out gear wise since I only used the gear in the pool and only had to add a couple hundred dollars to switch/upgrade out my Oceanic vest, console, octo for Hollis bp/w solo, VT3, and a GT3 (long /short hose config) (Thank you Wayne @ The Scuba Connection and Oceanic/Hollis Rep).

I see Doppler sent you a PM. I'm sure it's great advice.

The DIR GUE gear config is an awesome foundation that will be used for all your diving, from rec to full trimix. As for a pony/stage, go with a Luxfer 40cf. This worked great when i dove single tank and was required to have a pony for the boats off Jersey. When in trim, clipped on your left side, you will not notice it's there and can be used for more advanced diving. I was lucky to find a dive shop/instructor that set me up right That's the beauty of finding a great instructor. As my diving progresses, I add a piece of gear, but nothing else changes on my rig. Also, a great instructor will tell when you are NOT ready for the next step and will tell you what you need to work on and how to do it.

Some people say get experience before thinking tech. Just dive. But without proper training, how do you know if you are doing something wrong? Get proper training and then take it slow when extending your dive abilities. My car can reach 120mph, but I follow the speed limits posted (+/- 9mph :wink: ). Same with diving when acquiring the tools and skills.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom