New to video.....eventually

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoTanks

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got a Sony PC-350 and I was thinking about taking it diving.

There are a few things that I have no Idea about and since this is a relatively new forum I can't find any answers.

First, I have volumes of info on housings and I am sorting through it but one thing I am not clear on, many manufacturers have color correcting lenses for the housings. Some say that I would need a different filter for the greenish water in Boston vs. the blue water in the Caribbean. I do about an equal amount of diving in both places.

1. Should I have different color correcting lenses?
2. Are color-correcting lenses that go inside the housing better that the outside mounted ones?

Second, The PC-350 has 3.0 MP photo capabilities, Will the flash work through a housing or do I lose the flash capability? It seems like many housings only have a small opening for the lens and in others like the Ikelite, the flash might just light up the plastic housing blinding the camera. It also seems like an external flash, which senses the cameras flash would not work in a housing with a lens size opening.

Last, and probably stupidest, The PC-350 has night shot capability (infrared illuminator); do people shoot underwater video in night mode? Does it work underwater? Would I ever want to? It seems like I could film sleeping fish without waking them and so on.

I'm sure I will have some housing questions when I figure out what I am looking for.

Thanks,

Jim

TwoTanks:
1. Should I have different color correcting lenses?
2. Are color-correcting lenses that go inside the housing better that the outside mounted ones?
Jim

Yes, get a green water and blue water correcting lens. Inside vs. outside is usually housing dependent. Both should work equally well, although outside it will be susceptable to scratching/damage. An internal "flip" filter is a great feature since the lens is protected and can be "flipped" on/off as needed.

TwoTanks:
Second, The PC-350 has 3.0 MP photo capabilities, Will the flash work through a housing
Jim

Probably not. Most likely the flash will reflect off the inside of the housing.

TwoTanks:
Last, and probably stupidest, The PC-350 has night shot capability (infrared illuminator); do people shoot underwater video in night mode? Does it work underwater? Would I ever want to? It seems like I could film sleeping fish without waking them and so on.
Jim

I think the infrared would reflect off the inside of the housing like a flash. If you want to film at night, get a video light.

I think the 1st thing you need to decide is how much you're willing to spend and if you want mechanical or electronic controls.

Hi Two Tanks,

You are correct green water requires a magenta filter and blue water requires a red filter. This is to ensure better colour balance so the image is more balanced due to the red colours being filtered out at depth.

The lenses that go on the outside are needed if you are using a video light. Obviously when you are using a light the need for colour balance due to the colours being filtered out at depth are minimised. Therefore you'd want to take the filter off the camera in this case. This means you'd need an external filter.

If you're not using an external light then the internal filters are fine.

For photos the need for an external light or strobe is increased dramatically. Video does not seem to be affected as badly. This is especially the case in poor visibility conditions. If you use the internal flash it might work but you'll get backscatter (particles in the water near the lense lighting up in the flash). Ideally you need a strobe on a wide arm to reduce this effect.

For snaps though you can get decent shots without a flash if the conditions are right and you're using a filter. Some internal flashes have a diffuser to minimise backscatter but again this is a heavy comprimise.

Never tried night shot underwater sorry. Not sure how that would work. My thoughts are not very well.

Hope this helps!

Try this experiment at home one night. Turn out the lights inside then point your camera at some subject outside your living room window. Get close to the window and don't open it, shoot through the glass and use the camera's flash. See what happens. My guess is that you will get a great picture of "glare" reflected by the glass back into your lens.

I've tried this at public aquariums. Mostly all I get is glare but if I get the angles just right and shade the lens and so on it works. But in a housing the lens is fixed at 90 degrees to the glass port, the absolute worst setup in terms of flash use.

TwoTanks:
I just got a Sony PC-350 ......

Second, The PC-350 has 3.0 MP photo capabilities, Will the flash work through a housing or do I lose the flash capability? It seems like many housings only have a small opening for the lens and in others like the Ikelite, the flash might just light up the plastic housing blinding the camera. It also seems like an external flash, which senses the cameras flash would not work in a housing with a lens size opening.

Jim

Thanks for the input

ronrosa:
I think the 1st thing you need to decide is how much you're willing to spend and if you want mechanical or electronic controls.

I have been looking at housings and all the advantages except cost seem to be with the electronic controls, so I think I'm leaning that way right now. What I'm trying to figure out is if I can go with a lens only opening housing like the mako or if I should go with a full glass front like the silverfish. The only reason to need the full front glass is for the internal flash and the IR illuminator. If I can't use them anyhow then that will not be a factor in my decision.

As far as cost, I will just save longer to get the right housing instead of starting with the wrong one.

I do plan to get lights but I am going to start with the housing and look at lights later.

Trying to look at everything at once is a little overwhelming.

ChrisA:
Try this experiment at home one night. Turn out the lights inside then point your camera at some subject outside your living room window. Get close to the window and don't open it, shoot through the glass and use the camera's flash. See what happens. My guess is that you will get a great picture of "glare" reflected by the glass back into your lens.

I've tried this at public aquariums. Mostly all I get is glare but if I get the angles just right and shade the lens and so on it works. But in a housing the lens is fixed at 90 degrees to the glass port, the absolute worst setup in terms of flash use..
I can't believe that I didn't think to try that. I definately will.

Thanks

Jim :11:

Hi Two Tanks,

I am of the opinion that you should not use any filters. The more that is between the cameras pick up device (CCD) and the water, the less light and as you know it doesn't take very long to lose a lot of your light when under.

I would suggest doing your color correction when you do your editing. Most video editing packages have some way of this.

As far flashes and the night vision, I agree with what else has been said, do use them. Even if the flash for the 'camera' mode didn't reflect in the housing, it would cause lots of back scatter.

Jeff

I gotta disagree with grandpa. Using a filter gets you pretty close to what you want as a final result in most cases. Color correction is a laborious process and degrades the final image. Also - lights are pretty worthless in the day unless you use them as fill-light for close ups or shoot in confined dark areas. The sunlight just overpowers most lights. Take a filter and lights and you can use whatever is appropriate.

Mark

man. i wish "I" had found this forum a year ago when i started on this glorious slippery slide down to U/W video. you guys are the best! took me a year to 'figure out' the answers you guys have given in less than 8 hours! wow!

TwoTanks; listen to what these guys have to say. they are the sages of U/W video. i wish i could add a bit to the knowledge tree, but they've covered the basis. the only point i can add is don't be afraid to call the companies of the houseing you are looking for. they are are usually small intimate companies that are very willing to help. of course they will be skewed towards to their product, but i know i've spend plenty of time talking / corresponding with the good folks at IKELITE and GATES and they've both been fantastic at answering any/all of my questions... even some of the 'tough' ones.

enjoy!

Mark Goodchild:
The lenses that go on the outside are needed if you are using a video light. Obviously when you are using a light the need for colour balance due to the colours being filtered out at depth are minimised. Therefore you'd want to take the filter off the camera in this case. This means you'd need an external filter.

Not if you use a housing with a switchable internal filter such as the Ocean Images PC series.

Back
Top Bottom