New TSA Regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meng_Tze:
Lets quantify:

RED is at this moment only for flights arriving from the UK...... The rest is orange.
There was a major lock down at LHR based on a severe threat. All other flights from Europe are still flying into the US.

yes, however this morning the "no liquids" rule is in effect in the USA - and there are long lines at check-ins and security (even at the samll airport we have here in Ft Myers!)

stu_in_fl:
...could be worse..in the UK at tthe moment they are no longer allowed carry on luggage (just a clear plastic bag)...lets hope the US don't follow suit in that regard - I don't want to check in my regs/camera/computers etc.

I'm w/you on that one! I never thought about having to do that :( Me thinks if it comes to that I'll be diving in the U.S. only & driving!

I found it http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/threat-change.shtm

I guess we'll have to go back to the old - ziplock the toiletry items, and check them in baggage. And now we'll have to buy a $4 bottle of water, instead of bringing your own. That kind of sucks for frequent travelers. Often times, I don't even check a bag at all!

Wayward Son:
Remote controls? You're probably thinking "who carries a remote control with them when they fly?" Look at your car keys. See that little goody that opens your car doors at the push of a button? That's a remote control. If it isn't in your checked luggage, it's not going with you.

Good call on that one... I always put my car keys in my computer case (carry-on)

oohh hadn't heard about the remote control - that would be a pain....wonder if cell phones will also be on the list....actually wonder if they will make a list and post it on the TSA website - as Howarde mentioned - the TSA website is not updated - so people are unprepared and that is causing the delays - most info is coming from CNN, local news and radio stations (and of course the good old BBC in the uk)

oops - I see Howarde found a link - will be insteresting to hear the horror stories of travellers over the next few weeks (and try and minimize hassles travelling)...unfortunately I've got a couple of trips this months...

From the TSA Website ...

Threat Level Change for the Aviation Sector
Threat Level Change for the Aviation Sector
In response to a serious terrorist threat to international aviation security, the Secretary of Homeland Security has elevated the Homeland Security Advisory System Threat Condition to Severe, or Red, for all commercial flights from the United Kingdom to the United States, and to High, or Orange, for all other international flights and all domestic commercial aviation.

There are approximately 106 flights per day between the United Kingdom and the United States. Although numerous arrests have been made in the U.K. to disrupt and neutralize this threat, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is taking a number of heightened protective measures to ensure the continued safety and security of our international and domestic air travel.

Protecting the Aviation System. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will be implementing a series of security measures – some visible and some not visible – to ensure the security of the traveling public and the Nation's transportation system. TSA is immediately implementing following changes to airport screening procedures:

NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN CARRY-ON BAGGAGE. ITEMS MUST BE IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency.
Exception: Baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or small child is traveling; prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger’s ticket; and insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines

Beverages purchased in the sterile area must be consumed before boarding because they will not be permitted onboard the aircraft.
Passengers traveling from the U.K. to the U.S. will be subject to a more extensive screening process.
Some measures will not be visible to the public. In light of the elevated threat level, the Federal Air Marshals Service (FAMS) will provide expanded mission coverage for flights from the United Kingdom to the United States.

These measures will be constantly evaluated and updated when circumstances warrant. DHS and its components have coordinated closely with the air carrier industry, airports, and state and local stakeholders to implement these significant, but necessary, security measures. The traveling public can assist these agencies in carrying out their important security duties by:

Packing lightly, without clutter to facilitate easier screening.
Check with your air carrier well before your flight departs for information on when you shoudl arrive at the airport.
Cooperating with TSA personnel at all checkpoints and gates because TSA Security Officers will be checking carry-on baggage at the gate.
Being attentive and vigilant to any suspicious activity.
Protecting U.S.Borders. U.S. Customs and Border Protection will increase enforcement efforts in international arrival areas including the use of advanced targeting tools, special response teams including baggage and aircraft search teams, baggage x-ray equipment, specially-trained canine units, and explosive detection technology.

DHS has also mandated that all flights from the U.K. transmit passenger manifest information for intensive screening prior to departure from the gate. In addition, passengers on these flights and all other international flights will be subject to heightened inspection upon arrival in the U.S.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/threat-change.shtm

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

stu_in_fl:
oohh hadn't heard about the remote control - that would be a pain....wonder if cell phones will also be on the list....actually wonder if they will make a list and post it on the TSA website - as Howarde mentioned - the TSA website is not updated - so people are unprepared and that is causing the delays - most info is coming from CNN, local news and radio stations (and of course the good old BBC in the uk)
They can't dis-allow cell phones. That would cause mass hysteria! But in every spy movie, don't they trigger the "devices" with a cell phone?

No contact solution? That pretty much means a lot of people wouldn't be able to wear contacts. I would definitely need at least eye drops during a flight to/from the UK.

They should let you carry on eye drops or contact solution if you put some in your eyes first.

Makes you wonder what the threat was: Molotovs?

pretty soon the only thing you will be able to take on an airplane is ...yourself, at least if it's up to the powers that be.

I am all for effective security, but pretty soon it is going to be to big a hassel to lug myself plus gear through the airport!

Last time I flew with my reg it literaly took me 25 minutes to convince the idiot working there that it was indeed a scuba regulator in my bag and not something dangerous...

Damn terrorists!

RoatanMan:
With the terror alert elevated to RED, will I be stoped by TSA and strip searched and probed?

Gawd, I hope so. (Will there be any cuddling, afterwards?)

Just wondering.

Only for flights originating in the UK to the US. All other flights/airports are orange. Looks like you'll have to get your itch scratched somewhere else :eyebrow: :D

Back
Top Bottom