New UTD rig, thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that an elastic cover on the wing/bladder? Otherwise, how would you be able to empty the wing in vertical position (I'm wondering since it was emphasized as a feature).

Henrik

Seems there would have to be some sort of tensioning device since the bubble is above both dumps (assuming head's up vertical). Perhaps it's part and parcel to keeping the wing low profile?

I'm really not sure how this works. I dove a Nomad in December that was set up with the inflator coming off the rear dump in this way . . . but the VENTING was done through a standard OPV installed where the inflator takeoff is at the TOP of the wing, and running the cord down to the left shoulder. It worked extremely well, and I actually remember thinking that putting the dump at the top like that made a great deal of sense.

Here, the orifice of the inflator, being below the diver's body, is below the entire air bladder -- unless there's a compressive effect on the wing to drive air out, I don't see how you could dump via the inflator. And if there IS a compressive effect, that seems very similar to the compressive effect of bungies on a bungied wing, and that's been decried as an unacceptable risk for a long time.

I'm sure it works, because I really can't imagine AG hawking something he hadn't even dived, but I don't understand HOW it works. And it's certainly a long step from standardized equipment.

Edited to add: I don't think there is anything wrong with experimenting with gear designs, and I do think there are some things about sidemount setups that are quite nice. If this arrangement makes a good wing that's easy to vent and nicely streamlined, and doesn't collapse if holed, more power to AG. But it sure isn't DIR.

I think it's posted in the wrong forum :wink:

no, i think its perfect.

AG can own the definition of what is "DIR" and we can refer all the "but that's offensive, you're saying i'm doing it wrong" crowd to him...

you break it, you buy it =)

I think the real problem you're asking about isn't having the butt dump on the left, it's having the inflator attach at the top.

who dumps with the inflator??

who dumps with the inflator??

I do sometimes when I'm feeling lazy.

Just saying that the rear dump placement appears to me to be a result of the decision to move the hose attachment from the top of the wing to the bottom right, not because there was something inherently wrong with having the dump there.

Besides everything else, why does a single tank diver need an argon bottle?

Cuz it's cold?

I'm really not sure how this works. I dove a Nomad in December that was set up with the inflator coming off the rear dump in this way . . . but the VENTING was done through a standard OPV installed where the inflator takeoff is at the TOP of the wing, and running the cord down to the left shoulder. It worked extremely well, and I actually remember thinking that putting the dump at the top like that made a great deal of sense.

Here, the orifice of the inflator, being below the diver's body, is below the entire air bladder -- unless there's a compressive effect on the wing to drive air out, I don't see how you could dump via the inflator. And if there IS a compressive effect, that seems very similar to the compressive effect of bungies on a bungied wing, and that's been decried as an unacceptable risk for a long time.

I'm sure it works, because I really can't imagine AG hawking something he hadn't even dived, but I don't understand HOW it works. And it's certainly a long step from standardized equipment.

As single wing, I'm pretty sure if some sort of compressive panty hose fabric on the outside pushes the gas out the power inflator won't matter (why anyone uses that to vent anyway is the "problem"). Anyone who doesn't have the strength to swim up max7lbs of gas in a single tank shouldn't be diving.

Reintroducing the batwing would have been a stroke of genius. This, not so much...

Edited to add: I don't think there is anything wrong with experimenting with gear designs, and I do think there are some things about sidemount setups that are quite nice. If this arrangement makes a good wing that's easy to vent and nicely streamlined, and doesn't collapse if holed, more power to AG. But it sure isn't DIR.

I don't think so either. And neither is a KISS or sidemounting with a manifold block. DIR isn't for everyone, but Jeff and AG are certainly trying to appeal to anyone and everything. Makes for good trolling at least.

Another point that has nothing to do with the product but if someone is putting together a promotional video for their product would it kill them to spend a couple hundred bucks on a lavalier mic so that the audio doesn't suck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom