New UTD rig, thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dump with my inflator a lot -- it's easy, and tends to put my arm in a good position to dump the dry suit at the same time. I've never understood the absolute focus on dumping from the rear dump -- in fact, I have some very funny memories from my Rec Triox class, watching my very sober and diligent classmates doing this silly rocking maneuver: butt UP to dump rear valve, head UP to dump drysuit, butt UP to dump wing, rinse and repeat.

In caves, I use the butt dump a lot, but I also use the wing a whole lot more. In open water, why not use the inflator?

Oh, and I use Argon with a single tank because I'm too cheap to buy a suit heater, and I've maxed out everything else.

I dump with my inflator a lot -- it's easy, and tends to put my arm in a good position to dump the dry suit at the same time.

I agree. Lots of boat traffic in S. Florida. The inflator dump is quite handy for an emergency descent while at surface...

I dump with my inflator a lot -- it's easy, and tends to put my arm in a good position to dump the dry suit at the same time. I've never understood the absolute focus on dumping from the rear dump -- in fact, I have some very funny memories from my Rec Triox class, watching my very sober and diligent classmates doing this silly rocking maneuver: butt UP to dump rear valve, head UP to dump drysuit, butt UP to dump wing, rinse and repeat.

In caves, I use the butt dump a lot, but I also use the wing a whole lot more. In open water, why not use the inflator?

Oh, and I use Argon with a single tank because I'm too cheap to buy a suit heater, and I've maxed out everything else.

I use the inflator alot on ascent sure. Not so much if I'm close to the bottom.

I don't understand why you can't see the "problem" this wing is solving :D

Ok, I am not DIR trained and I only dive OW. However I am DIR curious at least.

I use inflator hose to dump simply because it also raises up my arm for dry suit dump to work.

Granted I put minimal air in the drysuit to prevent squeeze so most of my air is in the wing. But it works both at the same time. Perhaps I am doing it wrong.

Oh yeah, "We took the run-of-the-mill, tried-and-true singles wing design, and in order to have an USP and some differentiation to rationalize the price, decided to mess it up a bit. Pretty slick, eh?"

That setup might (but just as well might not) have a minor "slickness" advantage, but at the expense of having a configuration that won't transfer to a doubles setup, and will make the inflator assembly somewhat more exposed to damage, just to mention the first few things that I can think of. And seriously - how much more "lower profile" and streamlined does a single tank setup really need to be?

It's good to focus a bit on the butt dump use in the beginning, since it's the harder skill to master - once you've got it though, you should just use whichever method happens to fit the situation. This rig feels like it's a result of obsessive-compulsive fixation to horizontal trim and butt dumping. (okay, that sounded weird...) :D

//LN

Ok, I am not DIR trained and I only dive OW. However I am DIR curious at least.

I use inflator hose to dump simply because it also raises up my arm for dry suit dump to work.

Granted I put minimal air in the drysuit to prevent squeeze so most of my air is in the wing. But it works both at the same time. Perhaps I am doing it wrong.

Being DIR curious, my advice is to stay away from this thing. It's a gear solution to a skills problem. I highly doubt the DIR community will do anything more with this trim device than use it for a laugh.

I'm not sure it puts the inflator assembly where it's more susceptible to damage -- what's more exposed than coming off the middle of the top of the wing?

I do think the lack of a good way to vent the wing when you are vertical is an issue. To get air to vent when you're vertical, you'd have to have the wing awfully full of gas. People DO end up vertical on occasion . . .

This rig feels like it's a result of obsessive-compulsive fixation to horizontal trim and butt dumping. (okay, that sounded weird...) :D

This rig feels like it's a result of obsessive-compulsive fixation to horizontal trim and butt dumping. (okay, that sounded weird...) :D

:D

Just had to repeat :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom