New vs Old Style Zeagle Ranger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dakkon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
So I asked this question in my previous thread but didn't get a response because it was kinda buried toward the end.

I won what looks to be the older style Ranger with the Octopus instead of the power inflater. Sounds like I can just replace the octo w/ the power inflater for about $40 but I'm wondering if there are any other differences between the 2 models as well? It looks brand new, so that part isn't an issue.

Please let me know, thanks a lot for all the great help :)

/dak

Nothing to make one better than the other. We have old and new ones at work and nobody cares which one they have. The inflator is not hard to switch out.

Gary D.

IIRC, the "new" Ranger simply has the new inflator. The new inflator attaches to the corrugated hose with a garden hose fitting, so (a) you can keep the inflator with your regulator assembly and (b) you can clean out your wing with a garden hose. The garden hose fitting is easily installed on "old" Rangers to mate up with the new inflator.

BTW, it's the same fitting as used by the Octo-Z.

The Old ranger only has one pull dump the new ranger has one on each side. My wife has a new one I have an old one.

Old Ranger or new Ranger, you just bought yourself a great BC. I bought mine a few months ago and I've been adjusting the thing and customizing it and I've had no problems. I'm sure changing the power inflator won't be a big problem.

I'm asking the same question over on the BC forum. I also think older Rangers have 2 D rings on the shoulders as opposed to 4 on the new models. I also think the new models have clips on the wings for streamlining. I'm not sure if the older models have that.

Depends upon how far back you go as well. Mine has no pockets and no cummerbund, those are the two biggies. Not complaining though since I took the wing off the Ranger and put it on a plate. Now the "Ranger" has the Brigade 35# lift wing.
One thing to keep in mind is that the quick clips might be different sizes. I had to send mine in to use the new shoulder with the old front. I think it was $20 or so.

Like mentioned above, at either rate you got a good BC.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Yeah, this one looks brand new and has the cummerbund on it. I do see 4 d-rings - two up high and 2 down low.

Here's the link to it:
ZEAGLE RANGER BCD - eBay (item 160239146935 end time May-12-08 14:58:17 PDT)

But from the sound of it, I didn't do too bad picking it up for $320 shipped. Hopefully it's a good deal :)

Gary, there are 2 dive shops in town, which one are you associated with? :)

Thanks,

/dak

Thanks for all the replies guys! Yeah, this one looks brand new and has the cummerbund on it. I do see 4 d-rings - two up high and 2 down low.

Here's the link to it:
ZEAGLE RANGER BCD - eBay (item 160239146935 end time May-12-08 14:58:17 PDT)

But from the sound of it, I didn't do too bad picking it up for $320 shipped. Hopefully it's a good deal :)

Gary, there are 2 dive shops in town, which one are you associated with? :)

Thanks,

/dak

That's the exact one I have, minus the octo. You might want to consider just switching it out to a new octo instead of a power inflator. Save yourself some hoses on your right hand side. Nice deal!

....I'm wondering if there are any other differences between the 2 models as well? It looks .....

im not familiar with the ranger (i own a zeagle tec & bpw)

but.... what i found about my tec (which is 10yrs old) is that i cant remove the wing because it has plastic fittings and not the metal fittings that the newer models come with. this only became a pita when i changed to bpw and i was hoping to move the wing over and couldnt but otherwise im very happy

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom