new XS Scuba Altair (octopus) hard to release?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidbaraff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a brand new diver (did the pool sessions for my OW last week, going to Monterey in 2 weeks to finish completely). I bought a bunch of new equipment, which has seen a total of 2 days use, all in the pool.

Among other things, I got an XS Altair for my octopus. I got it specifically because I like the fact that it clips to my BC, so I'll always know where it is, but I'm very concerned because the "release" mechanism doesn't seem so automatic.

I assume that it should *NOT* be necessary for me to squeeze in on the latches with my fingers when trying to pull it out of the clip -- I sure hope so, because with gloves on, and in a panic situation, I'm not sure I'd get it right away to hand off to someone who needs it. I just want to pull it away from myself, and be able to hand it off.

So am I just supposed to yank on it real hard to release it? Or, being brand new, is there something I need to do to make it release easier? (One of the technicians at my course sprayed it with some silicone spray, but I don't know it made much difference).

Suggestions?

[My instructor (wisely!) told me to leave it unclipped while we were in the pool, as we were doing OOA drills, thank goodness!]

... How much more was it as opposed to a standard octo? If it was more than a buck you got screwed. I'm generally a big fan of xs products. Have quite a few but that is just plain dumb.

Easy Jim, I have one and it works quite well. If I need it, a quick tug and it free. No problem. On the plus side it breaths pretty well also.

Hello David:
Congratulations on becoming a diver. Sorry to hear you have difficulty with the attachment buckle. To answer your question correctly, yes the AltAir is designed so that with a pull the octopus releases without squeezing the latches. The AltAir utilizes the same patented quick-release buckles used on today's most modern BC's. The male buckle is designed to work with the female buckle included with AltAir or the 1" female side-release buckle sewn to your BC (if manufactured by ITW Nexus or Duraflex). Your difficulty could be caused by a female buckle from a different manufacturer or from a molding issue with the male buckle. Either way give me a call when you have time and I'll help figure it out. Toll-Free 866 977-2822.

Hello David:
To answer your question correctly, yes the AltAir is designed so that with a pull the octopus releases without squeezing the latches. The AltAir utilizes the same patented quick-release buckles used on today's most modern BC's. The male buckle is designed to work with the female buckle included with AltAir or the 1" female side-release buckle sewn to your BC (if manufactured by ITW Nexus or Duraflex). Your difficulty could be caused by a female buckle from a different manufacturer or from a molding issue with the male buckle.

Thanks for a *correct* :blinking: reply; I am using the buckle that shipped with the AltAir. But I'm good now -- yours and the previous reply solved it for me. They key was knowing I'm not expected to squeeze the buckle, but more importantly, the operative word is "tug" or "jerk". I was exerting a slow steady pull, expecting it to give way, and then I stopped at a certain point because I thought I might break something.

However, if I grab the regulator firmly, and give a sharp, abrupt tug, it pops right off. (And, since in an emergency, I'm sure a frantic tug to get it to a buddy will be my *first* instinct, all the better.)

I really like the design -- the regular is in a consistent place right below my right upper D-ring, so I can put my hand right on it. The non-tangling hose bit, now, that I understand it is also great. Thanks for a great product.

(I got the AltAir along with the TriMetal -- wow, that TriMetal breathes nice and smooth so far!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom