New York tourist dies in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why is taking heed of the results of a coroner's report "leaping to conclusions"? Why is there so much questioning and denial of autopsy results or the qualifications of a coroner in the Quintana Roo area when we don't see such questioning or denial of coroner's reports in other places?

We're being led in circles instead of focusing on what happened and how, what can be done and where we go from here...

Sorry; I missed seeing the results of the coroner's report from the Saturday event. That is what I was talking about. Did we see that? and is it confirmed that THAT individual suffered from increased levels of CO?

There are two divers being discussed here, one where we did see the report. That is not the individual I was referring to when I used the phrase "leaping to conclusions."

kari

Sorry; I missed seeing the results of the coroner's report from the Saturday event. That is what I was talking about. Did we see that? and is it confirmed that THAT individual suffered from increased levels of CO?

There are two divers being discussed here, one where we did see the report. That is not the individual I was referring to when I used the phrase "leaping to conclusions."

kari

Here is a link to the article from that thread......

Google Translate

Here is a link to the article from that thread......

Google Translate

Right. In THAT case there was a coroner's report. In THIS case, there was not, at the time of my posting the phrase "leaping to conclusions." My point being that until there is information, conclusions seem premature.

Ayisha posted "Why is taking heed of the results of a coroner's report "leaping to conclusions"?" And again, in THIS thread we had no such report. I inferred that she was referring to the diver in your link above, whom some other posters in this thread had begun to talk about. I was not referring to that case.

I'm all caught up, here. Thank you.

kari

Why is taking heed of the results of a coroner's report "leaping to conclusions"? Why is there so much questioning and denial of autopsy results or the qualifications of a coroner in the Quintana Roo area when we don't see such questioning or denial of coroner's reports in other places?

Because it's Mexico? Yep, that's why. I believe there are a few differences between the USA and Mexico when it comes to just about anything dealing with honest to goodness facts. There is very little inquiry, followup or consequences for professionals in Mexico due to : they still have a peasant class and it's 2011, with a huge difference between the have and have nots, the lack of oversite, the ability to bribe your way through just about anything, politics and connections can solve just about any problem.

We're being led in circles instead of focusing on what happened and how, what can be done and where we go from here...

If you don't have real factual findings to start with, you're pretty much screwed from the start. You can set out in any direction you want in regard to moving forward on an issue but if you're being lied to by the authorities who control the evidence and the findings you're pretty much spinning your wheels since all of your facts you're basing your decisions on are false from the get go.

Again, the "leaping to conclusions" comment and the coroner's report were related to two different incidents. The "leaping to conclusions" comment was in relation to this diver; the coroner's report related to the cave diver from October.

Different divers. Let's at least be clear about what we're leaping about and whose report said what.

As has been mentioned, a small pocket CO monitor is not an accurate gauge of the CO in a tank for recreational diving purposes.

I just wanted to note that, since no supporting information regarding this statement was provided in this thread at the request of multiple folks, this dive shop owner has since posted the following in another thread about their statement shown above:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/402586-co-death-myth.html#post6123028

Christi:
As to the CO monitors accuracy, I probably misspoke on that, but I have had several tech divers and people that are knowledgeable on the topic tell me that they weren't accurate - and in that post, I was referencing something I thought I had read in a previous post that seemed to back that up, but I can't find it now.

That still leaves a lot to be desired, in my opinion (who was spoken with? What are their qualifications? What did they say? Can they post on the forums and share what they know or believe to be true? Am I wasting my money? Which small pocket CO monitors have proven inaccurate? Just how inaccurate is a small pocket CO monitor?).

Without supporting factual evidence, I do not give much credibility to these anecdotes (true as they may be). When discussing matters of safety, I prefer factual evidence, of which the community as a whole seems to be lacking when it comes to the issue at hand.

Seems to me folks are on a witch hunt.

All I've read about the man who died indicates he had a heart condition and was told not to dive. That seems fairly conclusive even without anything else. Heart attacks are a leading cause of death in older people, and its not uncommon for divers to have a heart attack when diving. Certainly more common than CO2 poisoning. We have a LOT of folks diving in Coz and a very small number linked to CO2 poisoning. Yes I know it has happened, but not in this case.

Interesting that when we have seen evidence of CO2 toxin it generally impacts a bunch of folks, like the SB lawsuit. That killed 3 I believe, and most everyone on the boat was sick. CO2 issues are rarely isolated which makes one wonder when they are.

Certainly more common than CO2 poisoning. We have a LOT of folks diving in Coz and a very small number linked to CO2 poisoning. Yes I know it has happened, but not in this case.

Interesting that when we have seen evidence of CO2 toxin it generally impacts a bunch of folks, like the SB lawsuit. That killed 3 I believe, and most everyone on the boat was sick. CO2 issues are rarely isolated which makes one wonder when they are.
Carbon dioxide is not much of a risk. If you are talking about the severe risk of Carbon monoxide, that's CO. The Maldive incident that lead to the SB court case did affect all the divers, only one dead - the Russian.

Seems to me folks are on a witch hunt.

All I've read about the man who died indicates he had a heart condition and was told not to dive. That seems fairly conclusive even without anything else. Heart attacks are a leading cause of death in older people, and its not uncommon for divers to have a heart attack when diving. Certainly more common than CO2 poisoning. We have a LOT of folks diving in Coz and a very small number linked to CO2 poisoning. Yes I know it has happened, but not in this case.

Just because he had a heart condition doesn't mean he died of a heart attack. While that may be the cause there is no definitive proof of it. It may very well be that he died of exposure to CO (not CO2). By blowing that off you are just as bad as those who insist it was anything else without having any definitive proof.

I just wanted to note that, since no supporting information regarding this statement was provided in this thread at the request of multiple folks, this dive shop owner has since posted the following in another thread about their statement shown above:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/402586-co-death-myth.html#post6123028

That still leaves a lot to be desired, in my opinion (who was spoken with? What are their qualifications? What did they say? Can they post on the forums and share what they know or believe to be true? Am I wasting my money? Which small pocket CO monitors have proven inaccurate? Just how inaccurate is a small pocket CO monitor?).

Without supporting factual evidence, I do not give much credibility to these anecdotes (true as they may be). When discussing matters of safety, I prefer factual evidence, of which the community as a whole seems to be lacking when it comes to the issue at hand.

Read post #59. Swamp Diver knows more than anyone else on SB about this topic and I'd take his word as given.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom