NewB BP/W Question - This wing for a single tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob is a good guy. We have plenty of good tech people here willing to share their experience and dive with you. We also have plenty of rec people willing to do the same. You have my contact info now, feel free to contact me. I go diving at LKN Quarry fairly often. Are you a PDRA member? If not you should become one. You might need 5mm or 7mm even better wetsuit however. (I have brand new 7mm in the bag Neosport XLS but not sure if it would fit you or not.)

Great to hear. Your gonna love your BP/Wing. I'm in the same boat, big guy dropping weight (40lbs so far). And the Harness type system is great in bringing extra in, and if need be, letting some out for the ideal fit. And if the webbing gets frayed and needs repair, its only $15 or so.

cool - have a great time on your trip

Iztok - I definitely would like to hook up with you and other locals for the quarry. I've thought about getting into dry, might have to move that up on the things to do list. :wink:

BVickery - yeah, lost about 50lbs bouyancy since Feb. Got another 60lbs to go. I've found this great site, Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com that I hang out on. Also picked up running - up to 5K so far with Running app and fitness community | RunKeeper.

Very nice, I'm not allowed to run (full hip replacement surgery) and right now doing my weight loss solely thru diet til I lose another 40, then will feel comfortable walking. My concern is that since I'm young, have to be VERY cautious about the wear and tear I put on my new hip. If I can work it so I only need 1 other replacement would do my body MUCH better than the more common 2.

Keep up the great work!

I just got back from my trip - had a great time and really liked the BP/W setup! Only problem I had is losing one of my wing nuts for my STA. My tank started floating away from the bottom - ended the dive with one hand holding onto the tank to keep it by my butt! Fortunately, being on a live-aboard, they have a lot of tools and were able to find a nut to fit my bolt and believe me, I cranked it down - and made sure the rest of the nuts and bolts were nice and tight.

halemanō;5953796:
If you are properly weighted, even at the beginning of the dive you only need ~ enough air in the BC to float the air you intend to breath. At the end of the dive, how much air do you really need in the BC to keep yourself afloat? :idk:

It also needs to offset wetsuit compression at depth, and float your rig at the surface without you in it. He probably would be good with a 30 lb wing in warm water, and a 40 lb wing if wearing heavy exposure protection in cold water. Running the buoyancy and wing lift calculator is one way to get a better estimate.

I wear a 7mm farmer john in cold water, so it's 14mm on half my body. The inherent buoyancy of the suit is 34lbs, so at 90 ft I need about 25 lbs to offset the wetsuit compression, plus another 7 lbs for the air in a HP100 tank. So, I need a 40lb wing.

It also needs to offset wetsuit compression at depth, and float your rig at the surface without you in it. He probably would be good with a 30 lb wing in warm water, and a 40 lb wing if wearing heavy exposure protection in cold water. Running the buoyancy and wing lift calculator is one way to get a better estimate.

I wear a 7mm farmer john in cold water, so it's 14mm on half my body. The inherent buoyancy of the suit is 34lbs, so at 90 ft I need about 25 lbs to offset the wetsuit compression, plus another 7 lbs for the air in a HP100 tank. So, I need a 40lb wing.

If your wetsuit is truly +34 lbs (that on the upper, upper end of the scale) at the surface, how buoyant would you expect it to be at 15 ft (~1.5 ata)

Tobin

If your wetsuit is truly +34 lbs (that on the upper, upper end of the scale) at the surface, how buoyant would you expect it to be at 15 ft (~1.5 ata)

Tobin

I'm not sure of the relationship between neoprene and pressure, but assuming it's linear like air, it would lose roughly 25% at 15 ft (half at 33ft, so half of a half at 16.5 ft). That depends on density, and I'm not sure of the density of neoprene. I'm sure it's closer to air than metal based on it's buoyancy at the surface. I need to add air at 20 ft with a full tank so that makes sense.

It really is 34 lbs, I struggled with my buoyancy until I folded it up, wrapped in a weight belt, and kept adding weight to it in the bathtub until it sank. I ran the numbers through the buoyancy/lift calculator and it's spot on.

BTW, the suit is XL bottom and a XXL jacket.

You agree with my math estimates?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom