Newbie Diver, Newbie Question - Dive Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The place that I'm with is

Abyss Scuba & Travel
5950 S. Platte Canyon Road, Suite D-8, Littleton, CO 80123
phone 303 795-7070 fax 303 795-3337
bart@abyss-scuba.com

I was pretty impressed with the information I got from Bart when I was reasearching. He was very helpful from a newbie perspective.

Toadie:
For that matter.. what are your thoughts on a newbie getting a dive computer if he's strictly a recreational diver and is anal enough to plan with his tables anyway?
Being a newbie myself I was a bit torn on the computer versus gauges thing. My brother in law pointed me to scuba.com for my computer and I was able to pick up a Aeris Atmos 1 console setup for $218 + shipping with a full warranty :D . This was only $100 more than a gauge console, for the small amount of money (as far as scuba bucks go) I would say go for the computer.There are lots of great deals out there....

Cozumel: Dive Guide and Log Book, Underwater Editions. (2003?)
Info@underwatereditions.com
www.underwatereditions.com
52 (984) 80 37815

This is a great little spiral book of the most popular Cozumel dive sites, including maps of the reefs, a scale of difficulty, and a sample dive plan. I got if from ScubaToys down in Dallas (thanks, guys!)

For instance: Paradise Reef, the first reef in the marine park.
40 ft, 40 minutes, with a 5-minute safety stop at 15 ft. Abundant marine life, three coral ridges parallel to shore, mild south-to-north current. Popular as a second tank dive site, and for night dives.
The page gives tips on what to look for, how to pick up the second reef, and the question of diving the third reef which is close to the pier. Good information.

Great Lakes Dvr.:
Being a newbie myself I was a bit torn on the computer versus gauges thing. My brother in law pointed me to scuba.com for my computer and I was able to pick up a Aeris Atmos 1 console setup for $218 + shipping with a full warranty :D . This was only $100 more than a gauge console, for the small amount of money (as far as scuba bucks go) I would say go for the computer.There are lots of great deals out there....

Tell your brother in law he owes you $21.80... (Since we give Scubaboard members a 10% discount) - but yes, you're giving real good advice. A computer is a nice way to go when diving. To make sure you do a good job of monitoring depth however, you must get in the habit, or asking your buddy, and yourself, what depth and pressure you're at every few minutes. The other thing you may want to consider, is if instead of an Atmos 1, you could do an atmos 2 for about $120 more, and then you can program in audible alarms that will beep at you when you exceede a certain depth. It would also have download capability, nitrox capability, red flashing led alarm, and more.

So please just remember, a computer is not much good if you don't look at it! Get in the habit of checking often, whether you have audibles or not.

I found the dive site orientations in the carib to be quite varied. From "it's 70 feet and warm" to "full topography map with dive plan mapped out with a big red marker."

Given these experiences, I always request a topo orientation if not given to full boat. For example, if there are some interesting features I have the DM draw it on my slate with a compass heading or two.

scubatoys:
Tell your brother in law he owes you $21.80... (Since we give Scubaboard members a 10% discount) - but yes, you're giving real good advice. A computer is a nice way to go when diving. To make sure you do a good job of monitoring depth however, you must get in the habit, or asking your buddy, and yourself, what depth and pressure you're at every few minutes. The other thing you may want to consider, is if instead of an Atmos 1, you could do an atmos 2 for about $120 more, and then you can program in audible alarms that will beep at you when you exceede a certain depth. It would also have download capability, nitrox capability, red flashing led alarm, and more.

So please just remember, a computer is not much good if you don't look at it! Get in the habit of checking often, whether you have audibles or not.

See people, it is true, never trust the in-laws! :eyebrow:

I second what Larry says. I have the Atmos 2 and feel it is a great dive computer.

But I must emphasize a few caveats:

1) As with all computers, they are only as smart as the end user. Having the best gee-golly-whiz-bang dive computer on the market isn't going to do anyone any good if they don't understand it. Get to know a computer well before diving it, not throwing the box and instructions into your trunk as you strap it on your wrist.

2) No dive computer is 100% foolproof, and cannot take the place of proper training and experience with using the tables.

I must also voice my concern over an LDS who is trying to sell you your Nitrox and AOW certs when you've yet to even complete your checkout dives. What if you get into open water and totally freak out? What if you don't have the requisite skill needed to pass the dives for the AOW certification? They sound like a decent shop, but it bothers me that they are hocking further certs before you are even BOW certified.

Just my 2 psi, take it for what it's worth.

ohh- so Larry, You guys offer 10% discount to scubabboard users?- How can we get that then and what on?

As most posters mentioned, in most cases you will be briefed/know beforehand what to expect.
There is however, nothing to stop you from carrying a set of plastic tables and replanning on the fly if things are different from expected.
I personally carry a modified set where I added a column with pre-calculated "rock-bottom" pressures for myself and my wife to guarantee we can get back to the surface safely sharing only one of our cylinders, at the correct ascent speed and completing any deco obligation. I did this in Excel for every line of the table and it's based on our particular SACs.

munkispank:
ohh- so Larry, You guys offer 10% discount to scubabboard users?- How can we get that then and what on?

Anything except gift certificates... Just call and say you're a scubaboard member!

Ok, so I'm on my way.... today I ordered what appears to be one of the best gee-golly-whiz-bang dive computers on the market :wink: (thanks for that by the way, that's a pretty neat way to describe it)

First things first... I'd like to also chime in for scuba toys... Kip helped me out with my Aries Elite and he price matched for me, and even better, had a ton of information. I'm glad I called you guys. I belong to several boards in other hobbies and I always try to support the sponsers. Doing so here, will be a very easy decision.

Second, I totally agree with you Derek... although I"m a newbie in this hobby, I'm quite experienced in many others where the terms life and death are common. (ice climbing, mountaineering, blah blah blah)

Reliance on equipment is never a substitute for a good solid foundation of skills and the fact that a dive computer is an excellent tool, it shouldn't be used as the only source of ones knowledge. As stated in my original post, I have every intention of using the dive tables and planning my dives with those. By using the two, and correct me if I'm wrong... I'll be able to learn the differences and deltas between the two systems, and be able to plan more effiecent dives.

As for the certification part, perhaps I should be more clear...

I have taken the discover scuba program and have logged a massive... get ready for this....5 dives under my belt!! So, while that isn't really experience, it does tell me that I won't freak out and that I know what I"m getting into from a basic perspective. I'm very comfortable in and under the water....but now I want the skills to go along with it.

When I contacted my dive shop there were a few options I could pick from with regard to my open water component... being in Denver, and the fact that it's winter I wasn't really thrilled about my local testing options. So I asked if there was a dive trip that I could join. The LSD said yes that there was one in Cozumel coming up with 6 others. At that point I gathered the details (recreational dives, testing dives, etc) During this time (about 2 hours) the dive master and I spoke in depth about all kinds of diving, things I like to do etc... I expressed an interest in doing walls, wrecks, and shark dives. He then said to me that while I was to be doing my recreational dives, the other members of the group are going to be doing AOW and Nitrox. He said that it may be something I want to consider based on our conversation and since we'll be doing it anyway, it won't be any trouble. He also told me to see what I thought about my pool dives, and let him know anytime before our trip so I can get my studying in.

Hence my post... I wanted to see what experienced divers thought that didn't have a vested interest, so to speak. So, earlier this week I stopped in for about an hour and we talked in great depth about dive computers, tables, navigation, etc. Needless to say, it was an offer that was put out as an option for me. Also, if for some reason I don't pass my OW dives, I won't be charged for the other certs.

I feel very comfortable with the shop but I'll know more after this weekend when I do my confined dives. Although, when I was in the Dominican doing my discover scuba, there wasn't any anxiety, nervousness, etc. So, I'm feeling pretty confidant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom