newbie diving in belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aggiecrew

New
Reaction score
hi,

I have never dove before, but I'm looking at taking a trip to belize and was wondering what the best way for someone like me to take advantage of all the great diving in belize.

I've seen the opportunity for "resort dives" but I'm not sure if this would really give me a quality experience and also if it would be economical if you want to go more than once. I mean, if I would have to repeat the entire training session over again the very next day just to be able to dive again without certification, would it make sense financially?

There is also the option of getting your certification down there but doesn't this take like 4 days? is it worth it? I want to do other stuff besides scubadive, so I don't want to overcommit, but I also don't want to miss out on the really great world-class scuba diving if the the resort dives don't give you the real belize scuba areas...but I don't know if that's the case, that's why I'm asking.

where and how often can snorkeling be a good enough substitute to where one doesn't need to go full out scuba?

I'll probably be there for 6-7 days and want to see/do some other things too.

thanks a lot in advance! Help is MUCH appreciated!

First, welcome to the great sport of diving.

Belize is really a fantastic spot for a new diver. Its relatively easy diving and lots to see.

I would highly reccommend getting your certification and not simply doing a resort course. Diving is a very safe sport by comparison to many other activities, but, not knowing what you are doing and being comfortable with the gear makes it more dangerous than it would otherwise be.

How much time do you have before your trip? If you have a month or more, get your certification at your Local Dive Shop. If you are coming up on your trip, do it in Belize.

I would reccommend Protech. Peter, the owner, checks these boards often and I am sure will follow up with time requirements, etc. That said, there are plenty of decent shops in San Pedro, I just happen to be partial to them.

You say you don't want to spend your whole time diving.... I bet you change your mind. Diving, for many, is a life changing experience. Have fun.

P.S. Snorkleing can be fun. But its not diving.

Itsjustme is right. It is safer and more economical to get your certification at your LDS and then go. You can, if you wish, do your check outs in Belize. Also, I agree that Protech is a great place to go. There friendly, and they make sure your doing it right and safe. Amigo Del Mar is also a good place.

Good luck and have fun.

Bill

Hello aggiecrew

A "resort course" takes about half a day and gives a good introduction to basic diving, and if you want to dive again over the following days you don't have to repeat the whole course. If you want to extend it to the lower of the two PADI certification levels ("Scuba Diver") that only takes about an additional 1 1/2 days. To go all the way to "Open Water diver" takes another day on top of that. OW is a more useful qualification in several ways, but I should think SD would be fine for you for the time being. A big advance on a resort course.

As IJM says, get to your LDS if you have time and talk to them about your options. An alternative is just to buy the Open Water Diver manual (talking PADI here, which is easily the largest of a number of certification bodies), read it carefully, and send the "knowledge reviews" you'll find in it to the Belize dive center of your choice. They should be prepared to mark them & write back to you. Obviously talk to them first.

If you want more detail than this, write to me at peterbj7@yahoo.com and I'll try to help. As IJM says, there are several good dive shops here in San Pedro, as well as lots more elsewhere in Belize.

You're starting on a great voyage of discovery!

Peter

I learned to dive on my first trip to Belize - there is certainly a lot of reading involved (if your doing OW) I was with a friend and we were both doing it so it wasnt to bad - on my third trip i went on vacation with another friend - so as she studied at night i was out doing night dives or hanging out in the bar - I really agree with what Peter said about getting hold of the book and studying before you go - you may not understand everything but it will definately save you time - I'd get in touch with Peter and start the process!!!!

First off let me congratulate you! You are embarking on a great experience, one that will suck up thousands of hours (and dollars) and leave you perpetually wanting more :)

Getting certified in Belize with only 6 or 7 days would not leave much time for you to do anything else. Belize is a wonderful country, and one of the most attractive things about it is the relatively short distances between all the cool things to see. Having said that, my wife and I got certified our first trip there but also had 14 days in country to play with. If you are determined to get certified while there I would highly recommend Glovers Atoll Resort. Becky (the DM) was very patient, very safe and used good quality gear.

Another advantage of getting certified in country is the pool time, or lack of it anyways. I enjoyed learning right in the ocean, and I suspect my wife's confidence level is higher because of that fact as well. Another advantage was price: $350 for a 10-pack of dives and the Open Water course, equipment included. Post another message if you want more information...

-globetrotter

aggiecrew:
hi,

I have never dove before, but I'm looking at taking a trip to belize and was wondering what the best way for someone like me to take advantage of all the great diving in belize.

I've seen the opportunity for "resort dives" but I'm not sure if this would really give me a quality experience and also if it would be economical if you want to go more than once. I mean, if I would have to repeat the entire training session over again the very next day just to be able to dive again without certification, would it make sense financially?

There is also the option of getting your certification down there but doesn't this take like 4 days? is it worth it? I want to do other stuff besides scubadive, so I don't want to overcommit, but I also don't want to miss out on the really great world-class scuba diving if the the resort dives don't give you the real belize scuba areas...but I don't know if that's the case, that's why I'm asking.

where and how often can snorkeling be a good enough substitute to where one doesn't need to go full out scuba?

I'll probably be there for 6-7 days and want to see/do some other things too.

thanks a lot in advance! Help is MUCH appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom