Newbie dropping the big bucks: critique the gear choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aa777888:
Yup, I'm that dangerous breed, a newly certified person (couple actually, including my wife) with too much money.
Thats good cause you will probably replace some of this stuff once you've been diving a while.

aa777888:
BC (His): Transpac II with travel wings and the small weight pockets.
If you've already talked yourself out of a BP/Wing then go ahead with this or take a look at some of the Zeagle BCs. If not you should try to find one to test with.

aa777888:
Secondary Regs (Both): Scubapro Air-2. (Please, no "you should be using an octo" comments. All other comments welcome here).
Ok I won't say "you should be using an octo", I'll just say try it. Try breathing off of it for 5-10 minutes (which you might actually have to do in an OOA situation) with your buddy breathing your primary. If possible try to a bouyant ascent in this situation without loosing control. If you still want to use an octo-inflator after this then take a look at the Atomic SS1, I've heard they are much better breathers than the Air-2.

aa777888:
Wetsuits (Both): Xcel 4/3 suit. Haven't tried these yet so this may yet change. Plan to get hooded vests to go with these. Booties (TBD) of course. She's going to get a lightweight lycra hood to help with the long hair issue, too.
Hooded vests might be overkill if you are only diving warm water. A lot of people have ear trouble after diving with a hood. I won't wear my hood unless I am in the low 60's or lower. Tell you wife to get a Dee-Rag for the hair :).

aa777888:
Fins (Both): Bio-fin Pros. (Haven't tried 'em. Didn't think they could be any worse than the other split fins we did try. Hope they're better.)
Sounds like you're not very happy with split fins. Why on earth are you going to buy a pair?

aa777888:
We'll both probably carry EMT shears, too--we're both EMT's--although I was thinking of getting those big OMS shears for me.
I like the Dive-Rite Z-Knife.

aa777888:
Computers (Both): Aladin Air 2 Nitrox (didn't like the battery situation, but this one seemed the simplest to use of all the ones we tried. Could still be swayed here, but want to go hoseless.
Be sure you also have a backup pressure gage. You can clip it off somehwere and ignore it unless you need it but hosless computers are not all that reliable.

aa777888:
Still TBD: lights (primary, secondary, marker, strobe).
As a strictly rec vacation diver, just get yourself a couple of Light Cannons with rechargable batteries. You said you were not concerned about cash and you'll just wind up bying them after you see someone using them anyway.

IndigoBlue:
the backplate is an obsolete technology that is a waste of weight in your luggage.

What an interesting observation.

I wonder what its based on?

Polymer backplates weigh very little. Aluminum backplates weigh perhaps a pound or so. Titanium backplates weigh less than aluminum backplates. Travel backplates are rather skeletonized affairs that perform the same function but weigh roughly half what aluminum backplates do.

Backplates and wings have a great deal to offer traveling divers, even considering the fact that they may not be cutting edge technology.

Cutting edge technology might be something like the Mares Hub.

I wonder what that weighs in someone's luggage?

Perhaps Indigo knows.

Ben...

:alert:

Dang...someone in IT here needs to work on that...:D

Seems as though you already put a lot of thought into this, but here's my $.02 and notes from personal experience...

BCDs

Transpac - dove one and liked it a lot. I prefer a BP/Wing combo now and it might be worth a look. I prefer the OMS Comfort Harness. If you go soft pack I prefer the Transpac to the alternatives, ie. IQ Pack.

SP Classic - my exeperience (from working at a SP dealer) is that if a women likes the Classic, they'll love the Glide Plus or the Sherwood Luna. Both worth a look if you haven't already. Can't really go wrong with any - all good stuff

Regulators

I dive the Mk25 almost exclusively. I have two S600s and two G250HPs. I really prefer the G250HPs because the of the wider exhaust valve and it feels more comfortable in MY mouth. But don't get me wrong, those S600s are awesome.

I don't personally use a Air2, nor do I have anything against them as long as my customers and students have experience using them. Two peices of advice about the Air2. First, make sure the corrugated hose it is attached to is an appropriate length. Too short an it will be a pain, too long and it will be a pain. Secondly, make sure it breathes well. SP Air2s come from the factory breathing pretty hard. Get it serviced and tuned. The last thing you want in an OOA is a crappy reg in either mouth - makes things exponentially worse.

Fins

I have actually grown to prefer my SP Twin Jets and my Jets to the Bios. Both just seem to fit my foot better. If you go with the Twin Jets, I'd highly recommend the black because they are stiffer and negative.

Computers

I too prefer hoseless, but like the Smart line of computers better than the Air Z. A hoseless Smart is reportedly being released in fall if you can wait.

Misc.

Lights - if you've got the money, you cannot go wrong with a UK Light Canon. I'd recommend the rechargable battery pack. I don't like the UK lights for backup lights, shape is awkward, IMHO. I prefer Pelican or Halcyon - the Scout is one hell of a backup light.

Like I said, this is just my $.02. Best thing to do is what you're doing. Get some advice, try it out. Get some more advice, try it.

Good luck!

Doc Intrepid:

Perhaps Indigo knows.
You owe me a keyboard...

Doc Intrepid:

Perhaps Indigo knows.
HA ha ha ha ..... Doc, you're just pure evil...

As for the original gear list...

1 - If you really want an "inflator octo" I'd seriously consider trying it out in OW a few times from 30 feet and try to control your ascent. I feel it is the worst option you have presented on your list.

2 - If you don't like the split fins you tried, it's more than likely that you will not like other split fin designs...not to mention the $$$$ associated with something you don;t like. I'd suggest a paddle style fin.

3 - All you need is 1 knife (non-rambo style is fine) and 1 set of EMT shears...if you neeed more than that, you're doing something beyond a recreational dive. Cheap = Easily replacable.

4 - If you have a primary and back-up light, why do you need a strobe or marker light?

5 - I'd consider a BP/W if you haven't tried it yet, if you like back inflation, you might like the BP/W even better.

6 - Computers....I'm not a fan of using a computer unless you comfortably are aware of what it is telling you, and you've got a back-up plan in the event that it dies. Suunto makes a couple nice low profile wrist mounted options.

IndigoBlue:
Either way you cut it, the backplate is an obsolete technology that is a waste of weight in your luggage.

Not to start an argument here...and I'm not trolling either.

But IndigoBlue, when did the bp become obsolete tech?

May I ask what bc you currently use?

Thanks

The only thing on your list that I'd buy would be the SP regs, but that's just me. All told, your choices are mostly reasonable, comments herewith:

BC (His): Transpac II with travel wings and the small weight pockets.

The TP2 is a decent pseudo-tech device, you could do a lot worse even if you didn't love it.

BC (Hers): Scubapro Classic Plus.

She loves it. So long as you're planning on strictly being vacation divers with no "edge of the envelope" diving, it won't kill her.

Primary Regs (Both): Scubapro Mk25/S600.

Excellent choice. Be very careful with them in cold water, however.

Secondary Regs (Both): Scubapro Air-2. (Please, no "you should be using an octo" comments. All other comments welcome here).

I'm not always very good at following instructions, so here you go: you should be using an octo. Especially new divers who won't spend a lot of time in their gear.

Wetsuits (Both): Xcel 4/3 suit. Haven't tried these yet so this may yet change. Plan to get hooded vests to go with these. Booties (TBD) of course. She's going to get a lightweight lycra hood to help with the long hair issue, too.

This should be more than adequate for warm-water divers.

Fins (Both): Bio-fin Pros.

Gack. The best fins were, are and probably will continue to be JetFins.

Safety Stuff (Both): SMB's with 5M line, whistle, small hook knives. (Brand seemed irrelevant here for this stuff. We'll both probably carry EMT shears, too--we're both EMT's--although I was thinking of getting those big OMS shears for me.)

You want more than 15' of line on the SMB - buy a small spool with 75' of line on it. Make sure your SMB is 6' tall for choppy seas. As long as you're determined to use an Air2, put a DiveAlert on your inflator hose - much louder. Skip the fancy EMT shears; the cheaper, the better. Your knife should have a hook in it but it needs to have a straight edge, too. If you're going to be doing open water drift diving, a dye marker makes a good friend, too.

Computers (Both): Aladin Air 2 Nitrox (didn't like the battery situation, but this one seemed the simplest to use of all the ones we tried. Could still be swayed here, but want to go hoseless. Just so you know--I love my PADI "whiz wheel" and plan on taking it too!)

Hoseless seems to irritate some, but you shouldn't need to look at your air every ten seconds, so maybe they're okay for easy-peasy reef diving. Personally, I wouldn't but what the heck. Whatever computer you get, be sure it can handle nitrox. If you're using a computer, be prepared to quickly forget how to use the wheel.

Still TBD: lights (primary, secondary, marker, strobe).

If money is no object, a HID light is the answer. Get a scout light (or a scout clone) for a back-up light. A strobe can be a big help in hazy water when you're trying to find your way back to the up line, but don't rely on it. Marker lights are silly, stick close to your buddy and you won't need one.

Random stuff: seriously considering getting a CO-Cop unit.

Never seen one up close and personal and don't know if they're effective. I'd love to hear more from someone who actually has one.

My last suggestion would be to take caution in listening to advice from bulletin boards - someone is liable to say something goofy like "go sidemount" or downright deadly like "stop the bleeding before restoring breathing." Bad advice can kill, learn to use the "ignore" function.

reefraff:
You want more than 15' of line on the SMB - buy a small spool with 75' of line on it. Make sure your SMB is 6' tall for choppy seas.

What reefraff said. Also, go ahead and do it right the first time, get one of the self-closing ones with an OPV. Depth management while deploying is tricky; see if you can get some experienced coaching through this the first few times.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm pleased that you think I'm analytical--that I am! It's hard not to be when your extracurriculars for the last 20 years typically involve life and death.

I'm not reading too much I didn't expect to read, which is a good thing, that means I'm making relatively good choices!

Things that stand out for me so far:

- Try a backplate/wings. I'm surprised at the number of proponents for this. I'm typically a very minimalistic guy, except when it comes to computer convenience, e.g. I like my cockpits full of (well designed) glass. Being minimalistic a BP/W setup should appeal, but I also like the idea of a bit of padding on my back, that's why I kind of almost went "all the way" but "wimped out" with the Transpac.

- A lot of folks are not that excited by split fins. I thought they were all the rage. Apparently not! I will rethink the choice. Unfortunately I bet that fins are one of those items that everyone's got a box full of they don't use anymore. Why should I be any different? :(

- Clearly there are fans of the Light Cannon. I will look into that. An extra light makes sense to me at night, and there are some very small ones, so we will always each have a small one too. Something small enough so it can always live in a BC pocket and therefore is less likely to be forgotten.

- Why a marker and strobe someone asks? I like the idea of a markers so that we can uniquely identify our buddies, in this case my wife, at night, not that I plan on getting that far from her, but we all know what happens to plans. Perhaps a unique combination of Cylumes might be a better choice than the ubiquitous red marker light. I will have to think on that a while. My desire for a strobe comes from my offshore sailing background. Strobes work much better than flashlights when you are a gray smudge on the water in the middle of the night and wanting someone's attention. I've even considered one of the OMS canisters to put a couple of Skyblazer flares or a smoke marker in. I always have 3 flares and 1 marker in my harness pocket when sailing offshore--if you need a harness, you might need the signals, too!

- Backup pressure gauge: I'm surprised only one person mentioned that. I realized I had forgotten that after I posted, but then just let it lay like that instead of editing my post. I kind of expected more than one ding on that!

- No worries about computer backups. We each own a watch. I own a "whiz wheel". My buddy effectively has another depth gauge at a minimum, unless we have dual computer failures! We will abort as a team if necessary.

- We've got lots of EMT shears already, all colors!

OK, now that we've made it past the easy stuff, I guess I'm ready to talk about the Air 2 :wink:...

- In an out-of-air I might be relied upon to calmly ask for my wife's primary, but I know how I'm going to find out if she's got a problem: the reg will be taken out of my mouth for me :). Other than that, that's about as excited as either one of us will likely get unless we foolishly get separated from each other. After learning to skydive together, and after 10 years on a fairly busy ambulance service together, and married 13 years, we have that great married couple/partner ability to act as one mind. So from that perspective the Air-2 will probably be OK.

- It's in our plan to practice OOA ascents together. It's probably the first thing we're going to do once we get all the new stuff out in OW. If we can't manage it after some practice, or just hate how the Air-2 breathes, well then we'll have to do something else, and the Air-2 will now be an Air-3 :wink:

- One of the things that concerns me is that the Transpac handles a bit differently than the Classic. This is a training issue that goes beyond what secondary reg we've chosen, and something I want to practice with her just in case one of us is injured or disabled in some way.

- Beyond all of the above issues is a situation that finds me or my wife buddy'd with some random person, either on purpose or in an emergency. Can they handle the relatively close proximity required? Can they work with one of us to properly control bouyancy? Even with an octo, I see ascent control as a potential huge issue, with 2 divers out of sync and overcontrolling. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, I only mention it because it's an issue I feel substantially undertrained on, or perhaps just poorly trained on. This is a topic I'm planning on obtaining some additional instruction on in the near future.

aa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom