newbie even dumber question: how not to take in water when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

OK, so for a few years I've been making snorkelling trips, always staying on the surface.
Like to try diving, so checked out a few online resources, read about duck-diving, equalising, etc.
(unfortunately I can't find any snorkelling courses / groups where I live).

So here's the dumb question - when I dive, the snorkel will obviously fill with water, so how do I prevent my mouth / lungs filling with water?
I think I did read on one site to keep your tongue pressed against the tube opening to form a seal. Is that all there is to it?

Thanks,
elDiperoo

When you hold your breath, your throat will prevent water entering your lungs so you wont drown. I use my tongue to prevent salty water entering my mouth.

Freedivers spit the snorkel out. If you are only going 10-15 feet and want to keep snorkel in then need to either blast water out at surface or have a snorkel drain valve. I use a large bore Aqualung semidry, but spit the snorkel out when submerging. You can practice in a swimming pool or your bath tub. Just fill your snorkel with water.

So here's the dumb question - when I dive, the snorkel will obviously fill with water, so how do I prevent my mouth / lungs filling with water?

Easiest way is to just take it out of your mouth IMO. :)

In 25 years of free-diving I've never spit the snorkel out. It makes sense, just never crossed my mind. Learn something new every day...

(self taught for spear-fishing and lobster hunting, NOT a pro at all)

I have a different approach to free diving. If I use a snorkel for my breath up, I take the snorkel out of my mouth a soon as I begin my duck dive. I hold the snorkel next to my leg, in a stream-lined position, while holding my nose and equalizing. So I am not exhaling to clear my snorkel. If my snorkel is attached to my mask, I just take it out of my mouth, without any exhalation. I am sure that other free divers use different and varied technique, but this works for me.

Frenzel Maneuver is what many freedivers use for clearing. Fast, efficient, hands free. The bath tub is also good to practice clearing a mask. My little brother was very clean and spent much time in the tub. He used fins in the pool though. Can practice Frenzel maneuver when watching TV, or driving in hills or mountains.

In California we can also snorkel in lakes and rivers. Though it is against the law to spearfish inland fresh waters.

DeeperBlue Forum for more on Freediving.

Last edited:
Your tongue will block the water from entering your lungs. Move your tongue the wrong way and it's going down your throat into your lungs. You have the blast method and the displacement method for clearing the snorkel, once at the surface. Personally, I prefer the displacement method as my snorkel is always bone dry when doing this.

In 10-15 feet, I don't really care about the snorkel. If I head deeper, the snorkel is out of my mouth to prevent accidentally inhaling water and it makes equalizing far easier.

Consider taking beginning freediving class. If you're in Florida, contact Ted Harty. His basic course will go over equalizing before you even hit the water. Without proper equalization, you won't get far and won't fully get the full benefit of the course.

O.

Professional freedive instruction always teaches to remove the snorkel before diving. My instructor was adamant about always removing it. So much so that if you were caught more than 2 times leaving it in, it was an automatic failure for the whole class. It's a safety precaution regarding blackouts. If you blackout with a snorkel in your mouth, it's probably not going to be fun!

We just bought Tribord Decathlon Easybreath full face masks. They are amazing and were 54 bucks with free shipping. You can't take in water with this on.

Back
Top Bottom