Newbie - First Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are going to be staying in Cancun, you could take your dive training at home, & do your check-out diving, in Cancun, then you will be certified !! I have dove in Cozumel, Cancun, Akumal, Isla Mujeres & other places. Cancun, while mostly considered to be for beginners, has a lot to offer . I have seen more fish, sharks, turtles, stingrays, etc., in Cancun on one dive, than 5 dives in Cozumel. Plus, it can be more comfortable & safer, since most dives are less than 60ft.

Hi and thanks for everyones replies. Ok let me explain a bit more. I keep a marine aquarium at home so am interested in all things marine and reading on some of the forums I use, it seems that Cozumel has a lot to offer, but I hadn't thought about the fact that you would have to be certified. I am happy to try this in Cancun and i'm sure there will be plenty for me to see. We are on a two week holiday in Cancun, but my other half isn't interested in diving so I will probably only doing this for one day, and she can go shopping!

Also thanks Ben, I will be in touch with you soon.

Since you have an interest in all things marine and only have an interest in one day of your holiday to be applied to a diving experience, perhaps it would be best to table the idea of any SCUBA for this trip. Then, before your next trip, prepare ahead of time for a full certification. Perhaps you can start the class at home and complete the rest on a referral say for instance in Cozumel. There are many Dive ops who do this as well as several hotels and accomodations your wife would enjoy while your completing your course and/or diving. For now, perhaps stick to snorkeling and see what's out there. Have a Great time ! Sue

hi Will562-I dove with Ben last July. I am sure you will enjoy the time with him. Having a personal service like that is great. I'm hoping it ignites the passion to continue like it did to most of us the first time. Have a blast pal. Just a thougt, do you snorkel? If so great, if not, go do some snorkeling first to get used to breathing while a bit confined. seeya kev

I'm interested in hearing how your trip goes. I'm supposed to head there in April. Our local media is saying and I quote, "If your planning a trip to Mexico, don't go!" Nice! It's made my whole family on edge. Visions of bullets flying, heads being cut off and kidnapping are just a few of the images that are now stuck in their heads. If I go I'm not going to get Mom of the year and yet I had my heart set on this trip! What to do, what to do! I'm just sick over the whole deal. The timing stinks. It was a free vacation through my husband's work at a really nice all inclusive resort in Cancun. I hate giving it up.

I'm interested in hearing how your trip goes. I'm supposed to head there in April. Our local media is saying and I quote, "If your planning a trip to Mexico, don't go!" Nice! It's made my whole family on edge. Visions of bullets flying, heads being cut off and kidnapping are just a few of the images that are now stuck in their heads. If I go I'm not going to get Mom of the year and yet I had my heart set on this trip! What to do, what to do! I'm just sick over the whole deal. The timing stinks. It was a free vacation through my husband's work at a really nice all inclusive resort in Cancun. I hate giving it up.

I'm going in May and I'm not worried about it. I trust the info in here which is posted by folks who have been there recently, and they report that the conditions on the ground in Cozumel are the same as always. If/when the bullets start flying on Cozumel, we'll hear about it here, but as I say, I'm not too worried.

Back
Top Bottom