Newbie: Hello NorCal Divers! How can I play too?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome!! I dont have a regular dive buddy, but through this forum have found a ton of support and made a lot of great friends. A lot of the regular crew are DM's/Instructors/experienced divers, so its easy to find a buddy that you can dive with and show you around a local site instead of hiring someone through a local shop. (did I just say that? I guess I wont win any medals for generating new business for anyone) Also, there are a lot of good dive charter boat operations and you can usually buddy up with someone and make a reservation.

I think there is a thread starting that discusses a meet and greet, but if you want to go diving just post a thread asking for a buddy and I am sure you will find some takers.

I have only been diving locally for about 3 years, so I havent met everyone here in person yet, but there is a ton of support from the local dive community and everyone is super nice and helpful.

Thanks so much for all the great responses here! You are clearly a generous crew. After reading lots of threads on this site and other sites, I think the responsible thing is exactly as DiverInSF and others have said, which is to get some more training. I think my debilitating cramp that wrecked my one and only Monterey dive was probably due to deconditioning more than anything else, so I plan to work out more and get more training before wasting other diver's time. Our time is precious. I know how much time and energy it takes to just get in the water and I don't want to *&(k up other people's experiences.

I'm not ready to buy equipment after 7 dives, and for some reason I never get cold so I'm OK about renting wetsuits.

I would love recommendations on SF and Monterey shops that people trust where I can rent equiptment, hire DM guides, and join clubs through.

Our time is precious. I know how much time and energy it takes to just get in the water and I don't want to *&(k up other people's experiences.

We've all been in your shoes but remember that at any time anyone can thumb a dive... don't feel bad about it. We'll understand 100%. This is why I have season passes to the aquarium and an extra 2 passes for my dive buddies... When I say we're gonna see fishies we're gonna see fishies :D

I think my debilitating cramp that wrecked my one and only Monterey dive was probably due to deconditioning more than anything else, so I plan to work out more and get more training before wasting other diver's time.

With respect to your cramp:

Frog kicks are more cramp-resistant. And more efficient. And don't
stir up the bottom.

If you stick with flutter kicks, there's no substitute for swimming
with fins on for conditioning. If you don't have access to water,
walking uphill backwards (best with a friend who can be your
eyes) and doing toe raises with your toes on a step and your
heels hanging over worked for me (before I figured out frog kicks).

And slow down. Take time to smell the (Hopkins) roses. The
slower you go, the more you'll see.

I think all three of the Monterey shops are fine. Aquarius on
del Monte is my favorite (parking with a boat is a bear at Bamboo
Reef, and Aquarius Breakwater only recently started pumping
Nitrox, and I don't think has Argon yet.

This is why I have season passes to the aquarium and an extra 2 passes for my dive buddies... When I say we're gonna see fishies we're gonna see fishies :D

:rofl3:

I have only been diving locally for about 3 years, so I havent met everyone here in person yet
What kind of crack have you been smokin' Robin? Do I even need to put a list of names together of people "we" have met from this board at the M&G's? You can start with my name and yours :D

I joined a dive club out of my local dive shop, and I now dive just about every weekend here in Monterey.

What local dive shop club did you join? How often do they dive?

Fishdiver: I second that question!

Chuck: Thanks so much for your nice response! I will take your advice. Also, I have to look up frog kicks and Argon. But at least I've finally figured out what "trim" means! There is a whole language around this...

Hi, I'm new.

Here is a video on the frog kick. There are plenty available on youtube. Argon is only used by drysuit divers, since it has higher thermal properties than helium and other gases used for breathing.

:rofl3:

What kind of crack have you been smokin' Robin? Do I even need to put a list of names together of people "we" have met from this board at the M&G's? You can start with my name and yours :D

chuck for one!! I still havent met him. It took 2 years before I met Jim Ernst. It might be because I'm bad with names too.

With respect to your cramp:

I think all three of the Monterey shops are fine. Aquarius on
del Monte is my favorite (parking with a boat is a bear at Bamboo
Reef, and Aquarius Breakwater only recently started pumping
Nitrox, and I don't think has Argon yet.

I can confirm that Aquarius Breakwater does have Argon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom