Newbie kwestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scSCUBA

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm doing my checkout dives this weekend.

I live in Charleston. I've I've asked my instructor some kwestions, but I prefer to get multiple inputs.

Someone told me here that in the ocean we had extremely cold (for here) this summer 68 degrees. Don't know what depth. type of wet suit would be suitable for here?

What are 'wings' for a bc? What are the advantages for this.

I'm not planning on buying anything just yet, other than perhaps a wet suit. My instructor suggested a 2 piece 5mm hyperstreatch type. Most of my diving (unless if connect with some group in SC) will probably be in FL. My hands and feet tend to get cold, but it's a 'normal' thing for me, but I'll try and be a bit warmer than I think I need to be.

I've got a cruise planned for Feb/Mar. Stops include Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Since I can only afford 1 dive which one?

Working backwards, Grand Cayman and Cozumel both offer great diving, I doubt you could go wrong with either one.

Amount of thermal protection varies with the individual, but 5mm would probably be okay for short exposure in 68 degree water. I personally think I'd rather a little more protection than that. I think a hood is a must.

Wings are exactly what they sound like. They are air bladders that wrap around a tank. They are generally called back inflation, and several types of BC utilize them. They offer better trim characteristics and bouyancy control (in my opinion) than traditional wrap around (jacket style) BC's.

Welcome to the board and enjoy your new sport!

Welcome to the board and the sport from Greenville, SC! You are definitely in a better location diving-wise. I would say that the 5mm may do alright in that water but like Cave Diver says, I would add a hood to that. You lose most of your body heat through your head. You would be amazed at how much warmer a hood can keep you. Good luck to you and have fun!

If you pay for a boat dive in Cozumel, (about the only way to dive in CZM) then when you cruise into Grand Cayman, walk right over to Eden rock dive center. There you can get very reasonable rentals, and dive right off the back of the shop! Really good dives on top of it all. all within walking distance of the cruise ships, no cabs, or boat, or divemasters, so it is a really cheap way to go, and, like I said, a really good spot to dive. you can see the shop from the ship. It has easy in and out access too!
This way you can afford to dive both locations.
As for suits, I can mostly speak about the warmer areas like CZM, or GC. There you would need at the most a 3 mil suit, as the water tends to be a comfy 75-80 year round. Some folks just wear skins On the West Coast we wear 7 MM suits, :)

i live in a trpoical country so i use a 2-3mm wetsuit shorties...
in your case, i think you better use a 5-7mm wetsuit...
on buying gears such as a BCD and reg, it's good to ask around...
and try them on and see what suits you well and what you think you'll be needing...
especially when it comes to choosing your regs, you have to choose a reg that suits your breathing needs...
there are some regs (and even their mouthpieces) that are being hated hell by some divers but loved by (even some more experienced) other divers...

and lastly, welcome to the board and enjoy diving...

welcome to the board, and as far as wings go, once you go with back inflation, you will NEVER go back to jacket style!!! Buoyancy is SO much easier to achieve, atleast it is for me!!

ScSuba,

Good evening and welcome to the board!

Now with regards to your questions 68 degrees sounds kind of luxurious to me, that is about 19 Degrees Celcius!

To give you an idea my first dives were in about 5-6 degrees celcius (43 or so!) and I was wearing a 7mm Wet Suit with a 7mm shortie. With that said, it was more than sufficient.

Now seriously with regards to your protection. You say your hands get cold, consider a 5mm One Peice Semi Dry rather than a two peice wet suit. You will find that it is a little uncomfy on the land, but will do you the world of good in the water.

With regards to gloves and boots, look for at least 5mm and for the warmer months use 3mm.

I hope this helps

Paul

Lots of good advice here. I would add that a hooded vest might be warmer and more comfy than a regulary hood. I like mine with my 7mm suit for diving Lakes Michigan and Superior.

We're an hour south of you... In Beaufort.

Check out the site listed in my signature for all sorts of pertinent info.

I don't know where those people were diving, but here, ocean temps reached over 90 degrees this summer. Even at depth, 85* was the norm. I have my logbook if you'd like to see... With real data recorded by my 'puter.

Lots and lots of diving here... Gimme a shout...

Oh, and a 3mil one piece will do you nicely for six to eight months out of the year. They're inexpensive and plentiful too, which is a great thing... Since the local waters tend to tear up suits pretty quickly.

5 mil seems like it would be too much, and 2 pieces are a pain. Keep it simple, man.

5 mil's definitely too warm in the tropics.

Your instructor recommended a hyperstretch... Lemme guess... Charleston Scuba? :D

What they won't tell you is that hyperstretch tends to compress at depth worse than other suits. The bottom line is to get one that fits... And only go to a 'stretch if nothing fits you as well.

Thanks for the info. No, I didn't go to Charleston Scuba. Well I went, but I decided to go down to Fl. My mom lives down here so I get to get brownie points for visiting, plus I get to get certified too <grin>. I am able to stay for free plus the class was only 125 plus books and dive fee at the park was 5.33 for each day. My instructor seems to be pretty sharp. He doing a bit of technical diving now. If I'd stayed up in Charleston I was looking at close to 300 just for the class. OW check out dives were extra.

We did our first two ow checkout dives today at Deleon(?) springs. I'm using a 3 mm one piece for it, and while I've not been too cold, I don't think I could handel 3 dives of any lenghth with it, and it's only 72 degrees!

He SeaJay, I would love to do another dive quickly. Preferably in Salt water. What't the diving like for the next few weeks/months in SC? What about wrecks? Any close by and not too deep? My instructor suggested that I get like 10 dives in before taking the aow class just to get more comfortable. Then I'd be concentrating on the skills.

Oh, btw I was in Orlando today at the outlet store (Divers Direct) the sales guy was pushing a 6mm farmer w/ 6mm top. The 'sale' is then you get one free. He suggested then getting a 3mm top. Then I could mix and match. (Now based on what Sea is telling me, I don't know if I'll go that route or not) but the 3 piece was EVO( I think) for 140ish. Don't know anything about the brand.

Thanks for your replys.

Back
Top Bottom