Newbie lenses for D50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also just bought a Nikon D50 and took it to Curacao in December. I used the kit lens (18-55) the whole time and was not disappointed. I will eventually get a 60 macro. One of the guys on our trip had one and his macro pics were awesome. Just starting out though the kit lens is very nice.

Big Fic:
I also just bought a Nikon D50 and took it to Curacao in December. I used the kit lens (18-55) the whole time and was not disappointed. I will eventually get a 60 macro. One of the guys on our trip had one and his macro pics were awesome. Just starting out though the kit lens is very nice.

Curacao, wow! But where are the pictures? Please show us! :)

/Fota

These pictures are from my first outing with my 60mm lense. They kind of give you an idea of the range of the lense.

A 1" long fish

DSC_1191_QE_PB.jpg

A 10-12" long fish

DSC_1050_QE_PB.jpg

A 3-4' long shark

DSC_1090_QE_PB.jpg

A closeup of a 2' fish

DSC_1149_QE_PB.jpg

I liked the lense a lot and look forward to taking it down again. My next purchase is a Tokina 12-24 and an 8" dome.

Gotta brag about one thing (I'm just so happy about it). I wandered into a camera store today that had an 18-200VR on the shelf! I can't wait to try it out this week.

David

AUTiger:
These pictures are from my first outing with my 60mm lense. They kind of give you an idea of the range of the lense.

Gotta brag about one thing (I'm just so happy about it). I wandered into a camera store today that had an 18-200VR on the shelf! I can't wait to try it out this week.

David

Hi David,

Really nice shots and proves what a 60mm can do. I especially like the sharpness of the Napoleon (i.e. the last one, it's a Napoleon, right?).
Did you use a flash on the shark?

I have the 60mm (and longing for being it uv!!! so far I'm filling my harddrive of really nice surface macro shots) and actually I also have the 18-200. A very useful lens (not really as sharp as the 60mm though) but I don't think you can use it uv.

/Fota

Fota

The red and black fish is a sheephead. Strangely, they start out as females with one male leading the harem. When the male dies, the largest of the females transforms into a male. Their coloring changes to distinct red and black stripes and they get the big forehead.

Although the flash was probably turned on when I took the shark photo, it was really out of range for the flash to work. I wasn't real close to the shark. I can't remember if it was 3-4 or 4-5 feet long. I actually was lined up for a great photo where the shark was coming straight at me and very close, but I knocked my regulator out of my mouth with the camera housing when I was trying to look through the viewfinder. Bubbles went everywhere and the shark got scared off. It would have been a great photo. I should have taken some shots in continuous mode as the shark got closer to me.

A funny thing about the 18-200. After waiting for a couple of months, I found one in a camera store ($20 under list, too). On the same day, RitzCamera.com shipped one of the ones that I had on order! Two in the same day! The weather has cleared this morning, so I can take the lense out for the first time.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom