Newbie lenses for D50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darnold9999:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that the 60mm macro lens on a digital camera is about the same field as a 70mm lens on a film camera, a bit different than the 50. Please correct me if I am wrong, pretty new at this stuff and trying to learn.

Hi,

If you are wrong, then Nikon Corporation is wrong! I.e., you are correct.:wink:

And that is why I suggested the 28-80mm zoom. However, if one cannot afford a zoom and all the stuff it needs for uw photography, I think the 60mm Micro-Nikkor is a great compromise.

One can use it underwater and I do not find it so limiting on land...:no

I would guess that I use my 28-80 for 90% of my dives. I use the 60mm for those dives when I plan to discipline myself to focus (no pun intended, probably) on the wee things. On land the 60mm is on my camera unless I am certain I will want another lens. It is my standard lens for general photography, if there is such a thing.

One more issue...the housed zoom cannot be conveniently used out of water. However, the housed 60mm can. If I am fairly certain that I will want to take some above-water photos on the way to or from a dive site, I load the uw set-up with the 60mm. As long as the port glass is very clean, it will yield decent photos...

joewr

Darnold9999:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that the 60mm macro lens on a digital camera is about the same field as a 70mm lens on a film camera, a bit different than the 50. Please correct me if I am wrong, pretty new at this stuff and trying to learn.

With a crop factor of 1.5x on most (if not all) digital SLRs, wouldn't the 60mm be equivalent to a 90mm on a 35mm film camera? :confused:

AC Boy:
With a crop factor of 1.5x on most (if not all) digital SLRs, wouldn't the 60mm be equivalent to a 90mm on a 35mm film camera? :confused:

Nikons have 1.5x crop factor and the 60mm will have a similar viewing angle to a 90mm lens on a 35mm film camera.

The 60mm if you dive in less than tropical conditions, if you dive in high viz then maybe the 105mm.

My new favorite "all around" lens is the 17-55 with diopters. Then the 12-24. The 10.5 is great but takes experiance and the right subjects.

Hi, Gang,

I admit to some laziness...I used the Nikon Corp data for its 60mm Micro and its 85mm lenses to answer the question. Why? Because Nikon currently does not offer a 70mm or 90mm telephoto.

That said, the lens still has the same perspective whether on a film camera or a digital camera...the difference comes in the sensor array on a digital camera. So, the compression of image, depth of focus remains the same...i.e., some of the measures of the photo that are important to the eye.

The bottom line is that it comes down to a balance between flexibility and pocketbook..doesn't always!

joewr

mattporco:
I just purchased a D50 today (my first dSLR). What 1-2 lenses would folks recommend I start with for u/w? I am obviously new to dSLRs so I will be feeling my way through learning about all of the manual stuff over time. Thanks for the recommendations.

Currently I'm shooting the Toking 12-24mm, the Nikon 18-35mm, and the Nikon 60mm. My most used lens is the 18-35mm as I find it's a very good standard lens, and the 12-24mm is almost too wide for a lot of things.

I'm likely going to sell the 18-35mm in favor of the Sigma 17-70 macro, or Maybe the 18-50 macro. I like the idea of getting some macro out of a general purpose lens even if it's 1:3.

Other very popular lenses are the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 (expensive) the 105mm Macro, and just about any zoom that covers somewhere between 17~70mm.

Good luck on the decisions.

Darnold9999:
Neither work well on land however. 10-24 is too wide and the 60 is too limited for just "taking pictures"

On the contrary!
The 60mm is fantastic on land. Very good for macro work on land and a truly excellent portrait lens.

/Fota

Fota:
On the contrary!
The 60mm is fantastic on land. Very good for macro work on land and a truly excellent portrait lens.

/Fota
I wasn't specific enough. Macro work on land agree, as a general purpose walking around vacation lens - not so much. You will want another wider lens in the bag. 24-100 is what I have, their are cheaper alternatives so not recommending this lens just what I carry.

I found the kit lens I got with my D70 to be quite versatile - the 18-70. Wide enough to get some good wide angle, and can zoom in a bit to take some decent portraits. No macro though.

Darnold9999:
I wasn't specific enough. Macro work on land agree, as a general purpose walking around vacation lens - not so much. You will want another wider lens in the bag. 24-100 is what I have, their are cheaper alternatives so not recommending this lens just what I carry.

I hate to admit it, but the lens that stays on my D200 the most topside is the 18~200mm VR. VR makes it practical even at the 200mm (300mm EQ) at 1/100 depending on the subject, and 18mm is wide enough for general work.

I often carry the 12~24, the 18~200, and an SB800 and it is a very nice compromise having such a range in a small carry around zoom bag.

All that said, there is seriously something to be learned by limiting lens selection, and shooting with fixed focal length lenses. It forces the photographer to look at ways of shooting things that one would not always do with the lazy zoom approach.

There used to be an article in one of the photo rags, one lens, one shot. The author made a point of choosing one lens, and doing one shot per morning with that lens. This forced the photographer to really focus (pun intended) on choosing a focal length, and a subject, and a composition. A bit extreme, but the point should be considered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom