Newbie looking at gear - Sidemount vs BP/W advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ FlyandDive - Lol, you were waiting for me to start posting here, that's the best you can come up with?

Besides, I AM keeping it simple: Confucious say "ask many questions before buying a lot of 'stuff' proven useless over time..." or something like that. You have yet to experience my voracious ability to research, sort and interpret information - very simple in my mind :)

Now if only I can remember it all...

N.M

If you have any desire to look at a spectrum of backplate setups, let me know . . . we have a ton of gear, of at least two different brands.

BTW, despite having both tech and cave certs, I do at least 75% of my local diving in a single tank.

A single al80 on sidemount is easy, even in puget sound, with someone as clueless as me attempting it. :wink:

DiveAv8r, a few of us dive pretty regularly up at Mukilteo on Monday nights. Hit me with a pm of you'd like to come out and joint us some evening, lots of good local knowledge and different rigs to take a look at, as well as people to talk with if you're thinking about going tech someday. We even manage to scrounge up loaner gear occasionally if you'd like to try something out.

Jake

DiveAv8r, if you haven't already, come on over to nwdiveclub.com, where many members use bp/w rigs and a few even dive SM regularly.

DiveAv8r, if you haven't already, come on over to nwdiveclub.com, where many members use bp/w rigs and a few even dive SM regularly.

What cylinders do you typically SM in Puget Sound? I have access to a few LP95s when I dive out there and wondered if they would be a bit much. I like the buoyancy characteristics on paper compared to the AL80s I have been using for SM here in St Croix.

Going to be trying out my BP/W with the OMS sidemount 'plate' on the back. Not sure how it will work out but for $75 I figured it was worth a shot before I bought a Nomad or Razor setup dedicated to SM.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=17.699525,-64.796083

What cylinders do you typically SM in Puget Sound? I have access to a few LP95s when I dive out there and wondered if they would be a bit much.

I love my Worthington hp100s for sidemount. I personally haven't tried lp95s, but I was with Bob (NWGratefulDiver) when he tried them and the bottoms got very floaty when they were about 1/2 full. Not an issue with the hp100s, which is what Bob also uses now as well.

@TsandM, NWBrewer and Spatman,

Thanks for the invites! I will certainly take you up on the opportunities :)

By the way, I live right on Alki if anyone is diving there please throw me a line...

Cheers!

N.M.

those sidemount plates for the backplates will not work properly for true sidemount of the backgas. They're dangerous for any true sidemount diving as the hard plate can cause a ratchet effect against the ceiling. Those butt plates are for sidemounting bailout bottles on rebreathers or sidemounting deco/stage bottles. Don't do it for normal sidemount, it's a bad idea

We're going to be diving at Cove 2 tomorrow afternoon. I'd be happy to show you our gear, or you can watch us do skills, if you have a low tolerance for boredom . . .

those sidemount plates for the backplates will not work properly for true sidemount of the backgas. They're dangerous for any true sidemount diving as the hard plate can cause a ratchet effect against the ceiling. Those butt plates are for sidemounting bailout bottles on rebreathers or sidemounting deco/stage bottles. Don't do it for normal sidemount, it's a bad idea

I don't do serious penetration where the backplate or SM plate is going to be an issue. At 6'8" I don't fit many places normally, much less when I tried to follow my 5'2" SM instructor through some tight spots. :). And that was with a nomad setup.

Mainly did SM just for something new and as an option for technical diving while traveling and rental doubles are hard to come by.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.640260,-84.429401

Back
Top Bottom