Newbie needing advice Oceanic Hera vs Diverite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually have both an Islander and a TravelPac, which I use for recreational trips....light weight, easy to pack, don't raise eyebrows in oddball locations.
I used to travel with an aluminum backplate and small wing; some real advantages for configuration.
You will probably need to carry weights; if you prefer integrated, that is a bit of a messy and expensive issue with the TravelPac and a BP/W, because you have to purchase and install weight pouches. The Islander is easy, because it has weight pockets. The Islander doesn't have D-rings, and I love my D-rings for lights, regs, ponys, misc. So now I use the TravelPac, with added weight pockets, and can step up to the BP/W if needed.
I didn't miss d-rings since I had never had them. I just purchased more quick links and attached them to the loops and used this like a d-ring. Never had a problem. Even used it when I started carrying a pony.

The advantage of the Islander, or similar back inflate, over the Travelpac is that it does have integrated weights and pockets, small pockets but large enough for a backup light or similar item. I think it is a good compromise for anyone that likes simplicity and minimal restriction but not ready to go the BPW route.

I haven't dove my Islander once since I switched but haven't been able to bring myself to sell it. It still hangs in my closet. Too many good memories to let it go just yet.

I haven't dove my Islander once since I switched but haven't been able to bring myself to sell it. It still hangs in my closet. Too many good memories to let it go just yet.

LOL! My Islander is also hanging up, unused since I got the TravelPac!

With the variety of jackets and plate/wing options available you owe it to yourself to try as many different setups as you can before you buy one. You don't know what you don't know is a good mantra to follow.

One thing to keep in mind is that a plate/wing combo will adjust to different diving environments easier than the jacket type (ie warm cold etc.)

Welcome to a great sport and enjoy the vast gear options you have before you.

With the variety of jackets and plate/wing options available you owe it to yourself to try as many different setups as you can before you buy one. You don't know what you don't know is a good mantra to follow.

One thing to keep in mind is that a plate/wing combo will adjust to different diving environments easier than the jacket type (ie warm cold etc.)

Welcome to a great sport and enjoy the vast gear options you have before you.

Hey all,

I've found some used oceanic heras for sale for like $200. That price seems pretty good so I'm not sure if I should jump on it or not. Is It worth getting new gear starting out or is used gear fine?

Hey all,

I've found some used oceanic heras for sale for like $200. That price seems pretty good so I'm not sure if I should jump on it or not. Is It worth getting new gear starting out or is used gear fine?
Good price, if the product is OK. If it is being sold by an individual, I'd want a bulletproof return guarantee pending having a scuba shop check it out. If it is from a shop, I'd want their written assurance they have certified it as in good working order.

You really ARE determined to buy something now, rather than waiting, aren't you?

Buy the Hera. It's what you want.

Last edited:
Good price, if the product is OK. If it is being sold by an individual, I'd want a bulletproof return guarantee pending having a scuba shop check it out. If it is from a shop, I'd want their written assurance they have certified it as in good working order.

You really ARE determined to buy something now, rather than waiting, aren't you?

Haha! I'd like to try it on and get it and use it while I get certified this weekend!

Hey all,

I've found some used oceanic heras for sale for like $200. That price seems pretty good so I'm not sure if I should jump on it or not.

The best way to waste money on scuba gear is by chasing "good deals" on gear before you know what you really want. You've gone from "I've not tried" and "I like to try before I buy" yesterday to wondering about whether you should "jump on it" today. Have you tried one out in the past 24hrs and determined it's exactly what you want?

The best way to waste money on scuba gear is by chasing "good deals" on gear before you know what you really want. You've gone from "I've not tried" and "I like to try before I buy" yesterday to wondering about whether you should "jump on it" today. Have you tried one out in the past 24hrs and determined it's exactly what you want?

No, going to try it tomorrow. Not buying anything until I try but since I have to drive no less than an hour to get a store that has the Hera or Diverite, I wanted to get people opinions from those who've had experience with them. Was more wondering if it's good to buy used gear or get new gear to start with.

No, going to try it tomorrow. Not buying anything until I try but since I have to drive no less than an hour to get a store that has the Hera or Diverite, I wanted to get people opinions from those who've had experience with them. Was more wondering if it's good to buy used gear or get new gear to start with.

Pretty much all my gear comes second hand. If you can get the BCD at a good price and you trust that it is in good working condition then buy and try. If you are not happy then sell you wont lose much money, in fact I have made money on some items I have moved on. My rule is BCs pay 20% to 40% of new price. Have a good look for ware and check that the power inflator works and stops inflating, the OPVs operate, check that it stays inflated.

Back
Top Bottom