Newbie needs basic equip. advice...

What kind of basic equipment should new warm water divers get?

• You don't need a wetsuit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You should get a shortie

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • You should get a full suit

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • You should get full foot fins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You should get the booties and the strap backed fins

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we took all of your advice into account, plus some that I have received from other sources and the end result is...

We went to LeisurePro (it just so happens to be in Manhattan!) and

-We're keeping the Scubapro masks that we already have, they're pretty good masks afterall.

-We're keeping the full foot fins that we have for now, we figure we'll be okay with these to start with, then we can try others by renting and decide what we like before we invest ($$$) in some new ones (potentially booties and stap backed fins.)

-We bought new dry snorkels.

-and we bought 3mm Akona Shorties. The price was reasonable and they seemed to be good suits for a couple of beginners.

-Also got various sundries such as defog and wetsuit shampoo.

We think that's a pretty good intro to the sport package.:)

I remember seen somewhere in my research a formula to figure out depending on how many times a year you dive whether it's more cost effective to buy your own equiptment (beyond what we have now) vs. renting. Does anyone know that formula?

Having first advised you to go slow on buying equipment in order to be sure you would stick with the sport, and advising that you try things before you buy them, my next comments may sound like a contradiction.

The decision to rent vs. buy is not a purely economic choice. Ultimately, if you are going to dive with any regularity you should buy your own equipment. You want to be certain the equipment is in good working order. You want to be immediately familiar with everything, including all computer functions. You want things to fit right.

All of these factors are part of the reason I advise to buy slowly and try things out. Take your time, check things out carefully and then buy exactly what you want rather than buying stuff and then having to upgrade or replace when you find you don't like what you bought.

I also dive mainly warm water....I always where atleast a DIVE SKIN...This is not only for protection below the surface but it also helps protect from sun exposure...You would not beleive the ammount of sun you get!!!!!!! I find that the shortie does not provide enough protection, it gets hot easier, not to mention skins restrict your movement less...I find in some areas where I add a full .5mm or a 2.5mm wet suit over my dive skin for warmth if needed...I don't like having to add weight ;-) so I prefer to go with the lightest and most comfortable and the least complicated..I do a lot of traveling and I find that these wet suits and a dive skin are comfortable for me...
I have light booties and Tulsa strap fins...they tend to work for snorkeling as well (I am sure on your 24 hour wait after flight and your 24 hour dive wait prior to flight you will want to try...It is quiet beautiful there)
Have a great time AND ALWAYS DIVE SAFE!!!!
:dance: :scuba:

PS do remember pee'n in the wet suit is encourage by dive instructors in certain conditions..Quite agreeable that this is a grose practice but I know of people that do it!! And think of those that are in cold water caves!! No bathrooms there...Always atleast bringing your own wet suit/skin + snorkel + mask + fins + any other specialized personal gear...I have all my own gear and rarely even rent tanks...I like knowing my equipment has been properly maintained and cleaned!!! I know that my mask fits properly and I know only my mouth has been on my reg...My own computer is helpful with when I can dive, logging dives ect..my own BCD assures me that I know my bouyancy and it fits properly with out a doubt (I like knowing my weight # to add)...I know lots of stuff to travel with but trust me well worth knowing and being comfortable with your equipment so that you can continue to learn and enjoy your diving future...It is such a tranquil place to dive Enjoy

As I have posted elsewhere, its the first step towards establishing good balance and control in the water. A full suit is almost always better than a shorty because of the extra protection you get from stinging floaty things and possiblity of brushing up against rocks, fire corral etc.....

While I don't use full foot fins, I understand that divers who do lots of warm water diving prefer them. Certainly they are easier and recent articles in trade magazines suggest that the power transfer is superior to that of booties and straps. YMMV.

Craig

Get a 3mm full suit. Until you have strong diving skills the full suit will keep you from al sorts of nasty pokes and cuts.

Booties and strapped fins over time will be more useful to you. Also once you take the full foot fins off on the boat or at the beach you are in bare feet, sometimes not the best way to walk around.

For years I used a pair of Aqua sock type low booties with larger full foot fins over them. It was partially do to the fact the inside of full foot fins can be rough on your feet when you have been in the water for awhile.

Thanks for all the great advice!!:) Here's what we ended up with:

2 Akona 3mm shorties
2 pair booties
2 pair Aeris Velocity strap fins
2 Genesis dry snorkels
1 Cressi Sky mask (me)
1 Sherwood Magnum EX mask (fiance)

Now we just have to get a bag (or bags) to lug it all to Aruba! (please see my '2 newbies, 1 bag?' thread on the gear bag board if you would like to weigh in on this topic too!)

Thanks again for all the great advice! It definitely helped in making our decisions wisely!!!:applse:

Good choices: you're ready.

About your bag: be aware that bags that advertise "nice new diving equipment" are very prone to theft at airports. Make sure to hide the bag inside a suitcase or so.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

Opening of lobster season. End of July. Water temp 50%.

Nuff said.

Whatever you do do it because its comfortable for 1) you, 2) your
wallet. The less stress in this sport the more you will enjoy it.

Safe diving:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom