Newbie OW diver wants to go AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds as though your diving is sporadic and only with travel. In that case, your plan to do some time in the water with an instructor on each trip is probably an excellent one -- It's like getting a refresher class, and also having someone trained around to help you if you run into any issues you're not up to handling well because you're rusty.

You are correct. Atleast as of the moment, my work/ personal settings only allow me to dive sporadically. My last dive trip was first vacation in 2 years... so looking at the past, I'll be glad to manage semi-annual dive trips.

Tigerman, you say deep dive is more challenging and unpredictable. Please tell me how and why? I have read of nitrogen narcosis but are there other factors involved as well? I am curious to learn more about it.

One of the biggest challenges of deeper diving is gas consumption and gas planning. You might enjoy Lamont's writeup on gas planning.

There are several good reasons to take AOW.

• It gives you are reason to dive, and to learn more about diving.
  • For newbies it's a chance to do more dives and skills with an instructor in different conditions.
  • You will need it on a some charters if you want to do any dives below 80'. That or a log book of experience, but even that may not be enough for some DiveOps.
  • It is the path to Rescue Training which everyone should do.

Where and how you take this is something you will need to research and decide. My take is I'd rather not be taking classes on expensive vacation trips where I could be just enjoying the diving. AOW however is more about time in the water, so it would not be too bad to be doing it in tropical waters.

I'm pretty sure PADI designed AOW to immediately follow OW, so I wouldn't worry about getting more dives in before hand. If you like tropical diving, I would suggest a nice trip to Cozumel, Bonaire, or some other dive destination where you can take the class and then practice your skills by diving the rest of the week.

If you combine the AOW with a dive trip, you "sort of" save money on the class, because you would be paying for those dives anyway. It's also great to get some supervision and instruction on your first trip in the ocean. Because AOW is just a series of dives, your vacation experience is hardly compromised by taking the class; to lots of people it makes the vacation more enjoyable. As far as the quality of instruction, there are great instructors in most dive destinations, you just need to get a few recommendations.

You are correct. Atleast as of the moment, my work/ personal settings only allow me to dive sporadically. My last dive trip was first vacation in 2 years... so looking at the past, I'll be glad to manage semi-annual dive trips.

Tigerman, you say deep dive is more challenging and unpredictable. Please tell me how and why? I have read of nitrogen narcosis but are there other factors involved as well? I am curious to learn more about it.
Gas planning and gas consumption as TSandM mentioned is one challenge with diving deep. Narcosis is inherently unpredictable and the effects and when it kicks in depends on a number of factors. You also cut off some options on how to handle emergencies when diving deeper and you should ideally make a few more preparations for deeper dives than for "normal OW dives". Depending on how deep you dive, your gas consumption might well stop being your limiting time factor and you might be able to get deco obligations that youre not trained to handle as well. All these things and more will be covered in the course though..

I did my ow at the end of august last year and spent two months having great fun with some saturday morning dives with some more experienced divers. They were great, really looked after me, developed my skills and showed me alot that I'd have missed if with my regular buddy. But then my regular buddy thought we should do aow coz she wanted to dive a few wrecks (that were of course out of ow depth!) Did the aow, it was fine, learnt alot but my buddy hasnt been to any of the wrecks, the other divers feel im qualified enough not to need them as much, and Im sitting here annoyed that I did it, I had no reason to and have ruined my own diving fun in the process. So I suppose my advice to you is to think what it is you want from the course, are those few metres worth it?

Congratulations on your Open Water Certification. Remember, an Advanced Open Water card doesn't necessarily make you an advanced diver. Most Advanced Open Water Courses are a chance to "begin to learn" advanced things you can do underwater. Then it's up to you to dive responsibly and practice what you have learned. By taking the course with an instructor, you stand a better chance of learning the correct way to do things.

Have fun and take the course.

My wife and I had five dives in our logbook (not counting OW class dives) when we took our AOW class. I really HATE that PADI calls it Advanced, but our AOW class was a fantastic learning experience for both of us. In the five dives my wife learned the basics of navigation (it is second nature to me, a pilot), we both learned what it feels like to be narc'd, and our buoyancy/trim skills improved tenfold. I also learned something valuable and unique about myself on one of the dives that could save my life if I experience a possible hazard in diving, ie, getting my mask ripped off my face.

If the instructors are any good at all, they will point out your faults and tendencies, things you can correct during the weekend while under instruction. There were ten of us taking the class and we had something like five instructors and five DM candidates present. We asked a lot of questions and got a lot of valuable perspectives in addition to the experience.

Take the AOW now. Why dive with bad habits or techniques? It will make you a better, more aware diver.

It is unfortunate that PADI still calls the class “Advanced Open Water”. Does anyone remember the title of the required text for the class? Isn’t it “ADVENTURES IN DIVING?” Even the “Crew Pack” is called “ADVENTURES IN DIVING Crew Pack”.

From the PADI website: “As you step beyond the PADI Open Water Diver level, you make five dives and have the opportunity to try some of diving’s most rewarding and useful specialty activities…”, and, “…(w)ith your PADI Instructor you complete the deep and underwater navigation Adventure Dives. These dives boost your confidence as you build these foundational skills. Then, you choose three additional dives from more than 15 Adventure Dives to complete your course.”

Other than some training in underwater navigation and diving with an experienced diver during a deep dive, there really aren’t many “skill sets” to learn during your ADVENTURES IN DIVING class.

As others have pointed out, if you aren’t plugged into a dive club or have avid dive buddies, an ADVENTURES IN DIVING class is a legitimate way to add five more dives to your logbook under the watchful eyes of an instructor.

Interestingly, many of the negative comments about the class seem to come from those who were able to get a good deal of solid dive experience by diving with buddies and clubs before taking what amounted to an understandably boring class, for them. It probably would have been for me, too.

Perhaps the name should be formally changed to ADVENTURES IN DIVING and the advanced dive requirements be changed to require Rescue Diver certification to be really meaningful.

To the OP: If you really enjoy diving can afford it at all, I would highly recommend beginning your travels down the “less green path” toward financial ruin by buying as much gear as you can and start local diving. The only way to become a better, safer diver is to DIVE, DIVE and DIVE again. The best way to be able to DIVE, DIVE and DIVE again is to own your own gear and use it as often as you can.

If you can’t afford the time or the dollars, I’d suggest you quit diving now, while you still can. Take up a much less expensive hobby such as Lamborghini restoration and racing or private space flight…:D

If you can’t afford the time or the dollars, I’d suggest you quit diving now, while you still can. Take up a much less expensive hobby such as Lamborghini restoration or private space flight…:D

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Truer words were never spoken!!!!! My wife and I thank you for laugh!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom