Newbie Question: How can I find out the conditions at a dive spot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smootie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was reading the reviews for Shark's cove at Shorediving.com and saw that some reviews mentioned strong currents and others didn't.

Is there a way to figure out what the currents (and the diving conditons in general) will be like on a certain day? How much bearing does the surf report and tide charts have on dive conditions and what should I look for?

I've had really bad experiences with strong currents that almost made me quit diving altogether, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

This post is an example of someone trying to fit a huge subject into 500 words or less. I'll try to be brief.

Often trying to tease out the sea-state conditions of a shore dive ahead of time becomes more of an art of blending reports than anything. When you are talking about diving conditions, there are lots of factors to think about. I always try to plan a dive around wave height, wave period, currents, wind (if in a boat) and visibility. Depending on the complexity of the outing, I might use surf news network, wind finder, noaa, and weather.com to confuse myself as much as possible. The fact is, you won't know for sure if the spot is diveable until you get there and see for yourself. I've had friends convince me to go and see a site that by all accounts should have been far too rough to touch, only to find pondlike conditions, and visa vera. The lesson here is always be willing to cancel the dive or go somewhere else.

Tides can be much more predictable and often drive the dominant current. The trick is figuring out which tide drives what current and how much. As a rule of thumb, an incoming tide will usually yield better visibility than an outgoing one because it tends to flush clean pelagic ocean water in closer to shore.

I've never experienced what I consider to be serious currents at Shark's Cove. There the surf tends to be more of an issue-especially in the winter months.

Is that what you were looking for?

Is that what you were looking for?

Yes, thanks so much! I was worried that there was some magic website that told everyone else when to go diving.

I think an incoming tide would have been useful when I dove at Hanauma Bay. The water was rushing out of the opening to the outer reef so hard that I barely made it back in. I was under-weighted, too (obviously newb mistake) so I couldn't even crawl in. :( A dive that was supposed to be "easy" left me pretty shaken.

Everything smellzlikefish said is true. I think the currents people may be referring to with regard to Sharks cove is most often wave surge or they may be talking about the prevailing current within the cove itself created by water rushing into the tidepools and forced out along the shoreline where most divers enter and stage for their dive. That "Current" can catch you by surprise if you are not prepared for it. Otherwise, unless you dive out beyond the point to the right (Kualoa pt or Keiki pt) and encounter the outside current that usually flows towards Haleiwa, there are no significant currents to worry about.
Dont forget that knowledge of a specific site will help when understanding how to enter and exit an area even if conditions arent perfect. I have seen many people at sharks cove have a lousy dive experience solely because they didnt know how, when or where to enter the water.

Yes, thanks so much! I was worried that there was some magic website that told everyone else when to go diving.

I think an incoming tide would have been useful when I dove at Hanauma Bay. The water was rushing out of the opening to the outer reef so hard that I barely made it back in. I was under-weighted, too (obviously newb mistake) so I couldn't even crawl in. :( A dive that was supposed to be "easy" left me pretty shaken.

Regarding Hanauma Bay, it is similar to sharks cove in the aspect that the water comes in over the reef rocks and has no way out except the channel in the middle, so tide or no tide, it can be a tough swim to get back to shore....always better to plan enough air to swim those channels along the bottom...no need to fight surface current.

Well, I've never yet failed to see Drew's truck up there so he's probably got the place wired.

Yes, at Shark's Cove, if you get near or outside of the MLCD line -- just about the 50ft contour -- on rare occasions there can be a fairly strong longshore current pushing toward Waimea Bay. That's one reason that nearly all ocean contests go from Sunset to Waimea. Gauging the wind and looking at the water can give a clue. If the wind direction and current are more or less the same direction and close in speed, the water will tend to look smoother. If wind and current are opposing, the chop will be more pronounced; the wave peaks will be steeper. Within the MLCD, there's typically a slight clockwise circulation. In summer, it rarely can be noticeable but not a problem. To find the direction of a current, you can obviously watch your drift. But also, the "mu" (bigeye emperor) fish is also known to habitually face into the current. (Makapuu, Waimea Bay, and Makaha tend to go clockwise also.)

Tide charts can be used two ways. The first is obvious to check the local tidal flows. The second is to check for north-south (latitude dependent) currents by comparing the tide times at different areas of the island. For example, I believe the tides at Haleiwa are about an hour ahead of Honolulu. Since water runs "downhill", if for example, Haleiwa has a high tide before Honolulu, then you can expect some kind of current moving north to south until Honolulu catches up. This is part of the explanation for the confusing reports of the "Molokai Express" along the east coastline switching directions (Usually, the tradewind-driven currents dominate, but on still or southerly wind days, the Molokai Express toward Molokai can be quite strong.)

At Haunauma, there's a counterclockwise current in the swimming area. Basically, the surf on the left or "backdoor" side of the Bay typically comes in higher than on the right. This means more water coming into the left side of the swimming area. This water flows to the right, along the beach, and exits through the cable channel. If like most people, you only look at the surf at the cable channel, you may get the false impression that the current isn't too bad. But you must also look left and check the surf breaking over the reef to the left. If it's big, there could be a potent current at the cable channel. Waves tend to come in sets of about 5, maybe about 10-15 minutes apart. So don't just look for a few minutes and say "good to go". (Experienced big wave surfers typically will sit on the beach for an hour and often more, just studying the wave patterns. The yahoos tend to just jump right in; all balls and no forehead.)

The same idea also applies to the entry/exit at Kahe Beach Park but is more obvious. The volume of surf breaking over the shelf on the park side is an indication of how much water will be exiting through the swimming channel. Trying to exit by puliing in underwater might not be a good idea if it's big because you'll probably be driven into the very shallow bottom by the breaking waves. It might be better to bodysurf in, taking great care to not let your legs get flipped overhead, somersaulting you. Also, your navigation has to spot-on to avoid getting face-planted and rolled on the shelf on the right (on the park side) and eating the boulders to the left (on the cooling pool side).

The Waianae coast is notorious for a strong offshore current from Kaena towards Honolulu. This seems to connected with surf and the tide differentials. When they line-up, it can be a ripper. This is most noticable at about the 40ft gradient which is fairly far offshore except around Mt Lahilahi where deepwater is relatively close in.

Well, I've never yet failed to see Drew's truck...
... around Mt Lahilahi where deepwater is relatively close in.

WOW! Thanks for the incredibly detailed info. This is very helpful. Electric was another place that I had a terrible time getting back in, so the insight is much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom