Newbie question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even broken pieces of bleached coral will get you a one way trip to jail, plus a hefty fine! If you want fragments, I would suggest searching a local shell shop on your cruise. However, before you buy, ask where the coral came from and how the shop acquired it. If it wasn't legit, don't buy it. Let the poachers know you won't support their illegal practices. A good place to enjoy coral when you aren't diving is http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/reef/ - here you can gain tons of useful information concerning the different species, health, and hazards these corals face.

My sister took a resort course on vacation once (she has ear problems and ended up deciding not to take up diving) and had the misfortune of diving with an idiot.

Great entertainment value was derrived though (for everyone else on the trip) as he decided that even though everyone said "don't touch or take any coral" he just HAD to have a piece to take home.

He broke a piece off and stuffed it down his spedo...

Yes, you guessed it, it was fire coral...

Other than the hospital visit, she said the guy prety much stayed in his room till it was time to leave for home several days later.

Rule of thumb, take only pictures, leave only bubbles!!

Fair question, but remember it's the memory that makes you go back. A trophy always ends up in the trash. if you want to take something, take Scubaguys advice and invest in a great camera!

Originally Posted by Diver0001
I'm sure you know this already but most coral you see in reef tanks is made from rubber. It's all fake but it's very convincing and it doesn't die. Live coral would just die in a normal aquarium. It's notoriously hard to keep from dying even in it's natural environment.

R..

Maybe in the netherlands you can only maintain FAKE corals.
But here in the US our technology has given us the ability too keep live (REAL) corals.
I, myself, actually have two, a 125 and 45 gallon reef tanks that have been striving for years now. I know that I add suppliments to grow my corals, but my water quality is nothing compared to the natural ocean water. I still LMAO when I think you believe most aquarium corals are rubber.

Oh, by the way, thanks for all you others advice. I didn't want to do any illegal farming of corals. I wasn't sure and figured you guys could help. My wife says she wants to get rid of me, but not in a cayman jail. LOL
Thanks again,
Joe
PS.
Just be glad Diver0001.
You'll probably never have to dive with a stupid YANK like me. :beer_yum:

Fishlips_1:
I still LMAO when I think you believe most aquarium corals are rubber.

I'm glad for you that you manage to keep corals alive. The fact that I rarely see it here is not a matter of technology so much as a matter of choice and the legal hurdles. I don't necessarily have a problem with it if it's cultivated commercially for the aquarium market (espcially if it keeps people from ravaging the reefs) but I do have a problem with removing live corals from the sea.

Just be glad Diver0001.
You'll probably never have to dive with a stupid YANK like me. :beer_yum:

Where the heck is this coming from? I don't have a problem with you and I don't care where you live. In fact I'm glad you asked the question instead of just doing it.

R..

Fishlips_1

Oh, by the way, thanks for all you others advice. I didn't want to do any illegal farming of corals. I wasn't sure and figured you guys could help. My wife says she wants to get rid of me, but not in a cayman jail. LOL
Thanks again,
Joe
Your giving mine ideas :D Hey people do not respond the best to new people here sometimes. But all in all your question was valid and as a new diver you will find people just do not do that unless its scientific or money mongers you are neither. The board is great fun just becarefull of the Borg they respond fast and gather even faster but its all in good fun. The point is only that it harms the enviroment, most divers I think are pro enviroment so that is why you got the response you did.
They really bark far more then bite :jaws: That link from Snowbear is great.
Cheers

Hi,

While I'd never think of wacking a chunk of coral off of a reef, or defiling a wreck here in the Lake Michigan, I’ve always done some beach combing on vacations and brought home small shells, sand dollars and pieces of coral for souvenirs. Is this now also considered taboo (it’s been 10+ years)? I realize the way we enjoy the great outdoors has changed substantially, as wild areas have been reduced.

Fritz

Fishlips_1:
Thanx
Is it ok to cultivate frags in the US? Say Florida?
Not wanting to rape and pillage, just a little piece here and there.
Are their permits you need to get?
Ill try to answer this question without any bias. The reefs(where corals grow and die)
is there for the simple reason that the foundation and the reef itself is made up of these fragments and living corals.If every diver took a little piece here and there wed have nothing to dive and see but sand. I can assure you that if you are caught removing anything except shells that are not being used as shelter by a living specie of any kind, you will be arrested and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
If you perhaps where in the Florida Keys you would be guilty of a Federal offense
punishable by up to 25 years in jail or $250,000.00 fine. Your question is a very good one and I appreciate you asking before you take. As a aquaramist myself and former
retail pet store owner, specializing in salt water species. I recommend you purchase corals from a store near you and support them in order for them to stay in buisness.
If you took a piece of coral from the ocean and placed it in your tank you may end up with a disease or release bacteria that may cause problems to your system. We all need to remember that we should go diving and always bring with you what you want and when you leave take only what you brought with you. Look at it this way, that piece of coral will never look as good as it did on the reef. Thank You sam Dollins www.reefsavers.org

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom