Newbies are worthless!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, Doc!

I think a lot of that came from people that were horrified that the poster didn't seem to have an appreciation for how very dangerous was the situation, and perhaps the lack of knowledge of the proper response. Yes, there was a lot of the "same thing".

That is a shortcoming of the written forum. When readers perceive that someone is doing / considering something dangerous, they tend to jump on the bandwagon to convince the poster that this really, really, really is dangerous.

Here is a fine example of how such a misunderstanding turns into a blame-storm: I heard a story from some tech divers about an OOA diver that grabbed their deco bottle reg, and the idiot was freaking out later because he was given voodoo gas. (Never mind the details.)

I phrased a question - If I'm diving and my pony is full of EAN40, and an OOA diver (assume not Nitrox trained) gloms onto my pony, is there any sort of liability to leaving him/her on that gas as you ascend?

Instead of addressing the question, the thread exploded into 8 pages of how the 40% was too rich, I'm going to die, challenges to the choice of gas, and how stupid I was. :) To exacerbate the problem, I blew off all the EAN40 questions/challenges, because none of that had to do with my OP and I didn't care to answer. I was interested only in the liability question.

Now, was all that from concerned people? Or was it from "let me show you how stupid you are" egos? I submit it was about half and half.

TSandM is absolutely brilliant in how she always answers the newb question first, and then expresses concern. I strive to be like that.

Again, consider that we are all different. Some people's style of imparting information is different. What you perceive as "speaking to me as if I were a child" may simply be that person's persona when they put themselves into the mindset of "basic thinking". I understand that because I am very prone to 'skip-thought' as if people can follow my logic, when I skip explaining some steps in my thought process. So, won't you be patient with those that are trying to be clear? Please?

Most of the newbs that frequent here are most likely already familiar with the helpful "pros" and the ones that are just out to stroke themselves. I am a pretty old hand at forums, I own one myself, so I know what to look for. I understand what you are saying, it is just the" ones " that you know whom i am talking about. do nothing but just parrot what others have said.

I am not nitorx certed yet, but i am aware of what EAN stands for, because of stuff I have read here. Matt Beckwith is a great newb who posts whatever question he has. I have learned more from the responses on his posts than probably my entire OW handbook.. But for some A$$ to come on and say do a search? come on, have you ever ran a search on a large forum? try typing "nitrox" in the search bar, see if you learn anything about it from the first 200000 posts.

You Jax are one of the ones I will follow around to see what you are posting, and where you are posting. Friendly folks get that treatment, not just from me, but all people that are here to learn without having to whip our junk out in some weird pissing contest

thought....is a diver with a 1,000 dives still a newbie if only dives in one environment???? Just asking....

Newbies are great because they will "like" anyone with a good response, and not just their friends and SB gurus. Think about it - aren't most of us SB regulars guilty of pressing "like" more often when a friend or regular posts, and not as often when a newb posts?

We were all newbies at one time I distinctly remember what I was like on my open water check out dives. Wow what a knucklehead but with more bottom time, buying your own gear, getting to know your own gear and diving with good buddies we all get better. I learn on every dive all the time and try to share my knowledge to the newbie when asked or if i see them needing some help. Stupid hurts.

thought....is a diver with a 1,000 dives still a newbie if only dives in one environment???? Just asking....

We are ALL newbies in a new environment! Ask any of the folks who watched me learning how to do hot drops into current in Florida last spring :)

Just put on a rebreather, it's like a skier trying snowboarding for the 1st time!

Outside of diving, I'm a Scout Leader.
There is nothing more fulfilling than seeing somebody's eyes light up when they "get" something.

Without newbies asking questions and more experienced people sharing their experiences, where would that joy come from?

We want more Newbies!
We want more Newbies!
We want more Newbies!
We want more Newbies!
We want more Newbies!
We want more Newbies!

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I have over 50 years experience on SCUBA and thousands of dives yet I still find there is much I can learn about diving from folks here who have a different set of experiences than I have enjoyed. I think we old timers owe it to the "newbies" to provide them with the best possible answer to any question asked with serious intent. Of course there are those (old and new alike) who have opinions not well backed by good theory, but even so it is easier to get them to see the point if one responds with patience. To those who are really hard to read, there is always the ignore list.

If we are to keep the activity of SCUBA going strong (and help keep dive equipment manufacturers and dive operations in business for our own use) we need tio promote diving among newer divers, not discourage it.
Ditto, Even though I've been diving for years and mainly solo, every once in awhile I'll be w/others and I learn something new or more importantly realize I've gotten into some 'lacks habits'.......For all those jaded, impatient, know-it-all, prima donnas....keep it to yourselves....better yet, form your own club !!!!

Everyone picks up little things here and there with time and continuous diving, and continues to do so regardless of how experienced they are. People develop their own little routines and preferences, and solve problems as they occur. Get used to their own gear. It is not surprising that someone just done with OW class knows none of this. OW courses are not 100 hours long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom