Newby needs help purchasing a BC :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Crocs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey there. I am a new diver (only a few dives out of OW cert), and am looking to buy a full set of gear (BC, reg, octo, 3-4 mil wetsuit, gauges, dive computer). My self appointed budget for all of these is $1000. I have been looking at diverssupply.com in addition to several other websites, and am going with a package deal with them (at the moment).

The BC's I am trying to choose between are the Sea Elite Profile Hybrid, and the Aeris Atmos XT. I am open to other suggestions. By questions are as follows:

-Do you recommend buying on the internet, or should I have my LDS order it to try it on, even if I am sure it will fit?

-is there anything I should know about purchasing my BC that I otherwise might not find out?

-I have been diving jacket style BCDs and have not dove with a BP/W or a rear inflater. Do you think I can handle these other two? If so, which is preferred?

-Have I chosen good models, or are there better products for about the same price out there?

-Integrated weights or belt? I have only used a belt.

I am 6'1", 160 lbs.

Thanks in advance!

-Crocs

Hi Captain,
First, congratulations on becoming certified and deciding to purchase your own equipment. Both decisions are going to bring you a lot of fun and adventures.
One of the things you want to consider when buying not only your BCD but all your equipment is can you get it serviced anywhere you plan on going? While Sea Elite is quality equipment, you may have to send it back to it's point of purchase if it ever needs servicing or repairs. This may or may not be a limiting factor depending on your needs.
As far as internet buying goes, I always tell everyone to try your LDS first. If you do buy internet, you need to know exactly what you need, because you are buying without trying. If you make a mistake such as ordering the wrong size, it then involves shipping it back to exchange it for the correct size. All the reputable internet stores make this as painless as possible, but it's still slower than dealing with your LDS where you can try it on for size so there is no guessing. Try before you buy is always the best way to go. Also, see what your LDS can do to match internet prices. They may not be able to do it exactly, but their service to you should more than offset a few bucks difference in price.
As far as finding out anything new before you buy your BCD, again trying before buying will answer many of your questions. Most equipment feels great in the store, but may be horrible once you kit up and hit the water.
As far as jacket style (stabjacket) or rear inflation (wings) BCD, they both do the same things. If you can use a jacket style, you can use a rear inflation unit. Again, it's just a matter of learning how to adapt to a different piece of equipment. Again, take both styles on a test dive (do you see a pattern here?) and see which unit suits your needs best, also again, not just for now, but for at least 5 years in the future.
Integrated or not - totally personal choice. Many however find integrated more comfortable. If you want a separate weight system, check out a weight harness - they're a lot more comfortable than the standard weight belt.
You have chosen good BCD's. However I personally would also look into the Dive Rite TransPac , OMS, and Zeagle Ranger BCDs if you want rear inflation.
I hope this helps more than it confuses.
Safe diving, and let us know how you do.
George
PADI MSDT

Captain,

I was in the same situation as you with wondering whether to buy online or an LDS. I chose to buy some of my equipment at my LDS such as my Regs and Computer because of strict warranty purposes. I purchased my BC, wetsuit package, fins, and mask online. You will definitely pay more at your LDS but as StandingBear said, you may find your LDS's service and parts dept to be a good reason to purchase from them. Many offer free parts for the life of the device. I know my Scuba Pro regs have a lifetime warranty on parts as long as I purchase it from an authorized retailer and get it serviced once a year. Some stuff such as fins or even a wetsuit I think can be purchased online as there really is no mechanical failure involved with them and no warranty to really worry about.

Very helpful, thank you! I intend to buy my wetsuit at my LDS. I was going to buy a reg, BC, octo and gauge in a package- but it may be better to buy through my LDS on second thought.

I strongly suggest getting a bp/w, it's one size fits (almost) all, and many on here prefer it to a jacket bc (myself included). As for the computer, I like my nitek duo, they can be had for cheap used, around $275. As for the regs, I'd suggest calling Salvo Supply - Home and seeing what they can sell you a complete package for. They're equiptment is top notch, and customer service is even better.

Hi Again,
If you do decide to purchase your regulator, octo, computer etc online, please make sure the online you are buying from is an Authorized Dealer for the brands you choose. This way, any of that brand's Authorized Dealers worldwide can service it with out any problems. Again, please give your LDS first shot at your business.
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT

Getting certified last week I've been checking into equipment since January. This board being one of my sources for useful info. I too liked the price/feature set of the Sea Elite Profile BCD (same model as Edge Monarch) but I am lucky in the fact that I have a Divers Supply store on the other side of town. Last weekend I paid them a visit and ordered the Sea Elite Profile BCD and an Edge Epic regulator set from them. Unfortunately ,although the BCD was in stock, the reg kit had to be ordered.

My first impression of the Sea Elite.
Very comfortable BCD. None of the pinching the loaner BCD I used during training did. It has 2 tank straps and a valve strap. Lots of padding on the inside. Two big zippered pockets and 6 stainless D rings. I choose the slightly older model that has the 'squeeze buckle then pull tab to release weights' system where the new model has a 'release the buckle when you pull the tab' system. It has 2 dump valves, one on the right shoulder (with a release pull on the front of the shoulder strap) and one on the lower back.

I believe Sea Elite and Divers-Supply are one and the same company as the HQ address for both is the same location in Macon, GA. From what I hear, the Sea Elite BCD's are made in the same OEM factory that produces for Scuba Pro. I'm wondering if Edge is related to them as well but I've not been abl eto find a corporate address on them except that it is somewhere in Georgia as well.

I'll post more after I get this BCD wet.

Last edited:
Don't be too prone to ring the bell with stainless D rings on a jacket BCD: the rings might be tough enough but how are they attached to the BCD.
I am also a big fan of BP/W myself and all don't like that much the new orientation of the BCD manufacturer with all those bells and whistles about D-rings...
What you want of a BCD is good fitting and enough buoyancy and lesser dead buoyancy also...
after, D-rings, pockets, ditchable weight, it's all matter of preferences

if you wanna look into BP/W here are few names you should check

DSS: deep Sea Supply for BP/W
Hammerhead for cheap backplate
Oxycheck as they have great wings
You can also look at Halcyon that can maybe go throuh your LDS, but be wary of $$$

I second the BP/W. Allows you to upgrade the system without replacing the whole thing. It's also simple and effective. Some people are under the impression that a steel plate on your back would be uncomfortable but you'd be surprised how comfortable it can be.

deepseasupply.com is a great place to check out. Their gear is well built and the customer service is excellent.

divegearexpress.com carries Dive Rite's complete line. DR is clearing out their wings from last year so you can get a real good deal.

Tyler

Me too was in your place and still,

A note about packages on the internet " Many packages have some low cost low quality regulators and BCD to compensate the price "
As you go down the list you may find better quality higher price kits. So look closely through the package.:cool2:

-is there anything I should know about purchasing my BC that I otherwise might not find out?

I found out they have good discounts on Zeagle Rangers in a couple of online stores for 2008 models. Also on Scubatoys they have Oceanic Islander BCD 2007 for great price.
Also i saw Aeris Reefrider for a v good price on another site.

One great advice i got from a DM was also not to rush through buying and try to find an opportunity to try the gears and asking people who tried it.

If you can delay buying the computer till you can dedicate a bigger budget to get a professional one that will have Nitrox and more options.this will be better also.

Good luck in this nice journey.........:cool3:

Back
Top Bottom