Newly Certified Rescue Diver - Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The divers from my program (I did not get my rescue cert with this same group) carry their masks with them. They mount the masks in a case on the strap of their BCDs. I can see the issue of forgetting to get the mask out before stripping the gear, but if it is worked into the muscle-memory of the rescue it may be worth it. When doing my rescue I also found it useful just for making good open airway contact...for some reason a good hold on the mask kept me from fumbling for the victim's mouth. I also have heard that in theory it can act as a good barrier, keeping water out of the victim's mouth. You dont exactly want to be pushing the person's head under water, obstructing the airway, or causing them to 'swallow' more water.

In a real situation, who knows. In my opinion its better to be prepared and take it with you so that you can choose in the moment based on the circumstances of the emergency.

As far as decease goes, I'm ready to go mouth to mouth... I've considered the mask as having other benefits.

I think there is some contention as to how much rescue breaths actually help, since even on land the more recent cpr procedure seems to concentrate primarily on chest compressions. It was traditionally thought in this situation in the water that getting any oxygen into the lungs is better than nothing, but on the other hand I have heard that time and energy spent giving rescue breaths and fumbling with masks is usually not worth it, and in a real situation energy would be better served by just finning as quickly as possible to move the victim to the boat or shore where proper cpr can be given. If one is far from safety then giving breaths is better than nothing to be sure, but typically in most planned diving situations you shouldn't be too far away from safety to begin with. I wonder if there are any medical professionals here who could chime in on this rescue breathing aspect..?

since even on land the more recent cpr procedure seems to concentrate primarily on chest compressions. It was traditionally thought in this situation in the water that getting any oxygen into the lungs is better than nothing

Actually the most recent cpr procedures indicate to provide two rescue breaths FIRST in the event of a drowning/near drowning scenario

Actually the most recent cpr procedures indicate to provide two rescue breaths FIRST in the event of a drowning/near drowning scenario

I'm never too sure what's best, as they seem to change the CPR procedures every time I take a review class. Buts that's been discussed.

I always start with breaths, regardless of the scenario. I've done CPR several times (4) and I've never had it work. Bear in mind, two of those people were being called home and you only do CPR because the family is bewildered and seemingly surprised by the fact an individual of 86 years old is passing away, one was on a mid-30s vehicle accident patient who had severe internal injuries and wasn't going to live anyway, and once was on a woman who was mid 50's but she was found unattended so I don't know how long it had been since she collapsed (guessing under 10 mins, but over 3).

In my rescue class, I was told that for liability reasons it is better to do the breathes in the water, since that's how I was taught and I need to perform to max of my training.

I doubt it would actually benefit my victim at all, beyond the first two attempts upon surfacing.

As others have mentioned, in my land CPR/FA class, compressions and time to AED were much more critical for survival. Also, I think they "dropped" breathes to hopefully get more people to attempt at least compressions if they aren't willing to go m2m.

Yeh, again from what I can tell there seems to be contention among medical professionals in this area over the benefits of laymen attempting in-water breathing-especially when there is little empirical evidence to it's effectiveness alone. In scuba this means fiddling with clips, looking for breathing while bobbing around, maybe donning a mask and then attempting breaths all while in the open-sea. Lets face it -your average diver who took a padi rescue class is not a pro either. Since apparently the real benefits of cpr come from chest compression- I'd be more inclined to immediately fin to boat as fast and furious as I can for full cpr, oxygen etc.

Based on all the responses, it still seems that the consensus is still to get them to the boat/shore as fast as possible to start O2 and chest compressions. I think if it was an OOA/unresponsive diver situation with someone I found, I would get them safely to the surface (meaning safely for me), and then try to give them 2 quick breaths upon surfacing; no mask, no snorkel, just 2 quick breaths to get something in their system. That shouldn't take more than a few seconds. Then I would haul ass to get them to the closest safe zone for O2 and chest compressions if necessary.

I'm not a pro as I'm sure is the same with about 95% of PADI Rescue Divers as mentioned before, so I've been consulting my friend who is a very experienced TEC diver and paramedic with tons of medical diving experience. He holds to the idea that you are rarely going to be able to help an unresponsive diver in the water...the best chance is to get them to shore or the boat, call 911 or EMS, and get them O2, starting chest compressions if necessary. I'm glad I took the class and went through the scenarios, but I truly hope I never have to use any of those skills while enjoying a sport/hobby I have grown to love in a relatively short period of time.

Reviving an old thread I know, but just to clear up the CPR, current recommendations are for 5 rescue breathes followed by 30 compressions 2 breaths etc for drowning. Children are to receive 5 rb regardless of the situation. Hope that helps

Just to ask - a lot of you are talking about mouth to mouth in water does nobody else practice mouth to nose rescue breaths while in water. Recently completed my BSAC sports diver and this was how we were taught due to it being far easier to make a water tight seal around the nose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom