Newly Certified Rescue Diver - Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Happy to report I completed my Rescue Diver certification this past weekend and am now a Rescue Diver (not to be confused with someone who can actually RESCUE someone, but I think at a minimum I could help try to save someone if necessary)

Don't underestimate yourself mate. You done the course and are already more competent in "rescue" than the vast majority of divers. Rescue is not something black & white that some people can do, and some can't. That little thing you do may just be enough to save someone. That experienced rescue diver may just be too late to helps someone in a case that seemed 'easy'. As you say, the least thing you can do is try to help, and improve the chances of someone recovering or surviving.

Just done the course myself and during the course I too thought "I'm never gonna save someone", but I know that every little bit of help may just make a big difference.

It's in my kit on the beach. I dont carry it in the water unless I'm in a large group where I'm one of the most experienced (almost never). For just my buddy and I going from shore.....never. but it's close by with all my other first aid gear

This is a 6 mo old thread, but it's exactly the same thing I thought about after my 1st DAN class & I suspect many others have as well.

My conclusion was that if someone needs rescue breathing on the boat, let alone in the water, hopes for a favourable outcome are already looking very bad. I don't want to have any reason to wonder after the fact if things might have gone differently if I hadn't wasted time on something like a safety mask. Keep your concern focussed on the person who needs it and even if he doesn't make it you won't have anything to kick yourself about the rest of your life.

Just wondering how many folks out there that are rescue diver certified carry a rescue breathing mask with them while they dive?

Zero.

It's like aliens. They must exist but nobody has ever seen one.

I've been involved in a real-life rescue where the diver was ventilated on the surface and we did it the old-fashioned way. Up close and personal. Our conclusion after the fact is that even if it HAD been in a BCD pocket you'd be too amped from the adrenaline to even remember that it was there let alone fumble around for it under the extreme pressure of having to decide between spending 30 seconds finding and deploying it or spending 30 seconds trying to save someone's life.

When someone drowns a pink frothy metallic tasting foam comes out of their lungs when you ventilate them. It's disgusting and you can't get the taste of it out of your mouth for days.... but 30 seconds is a long time when it's a question of life and death so you just bear down and get through it... then vomit your guts out in the parking lot after the paramedics take over.

The reason those masks exist is because of this... and that blood can be dirty and carry diseases. Again, our conclusion was if it makes the difference between saving a life and not then we would run the risk. YYMV.

R..

How about someone inventing some sort of foldable pocket mask that actually can fit in a BCD pocket (with 10 lb. weights behind said pocket)? Like my snorkel.

I don't carry it diving. If needed I'll do mouth to mouth. One question arises though, those who also don't carry it, would you do mouth to mouth or would you be an unreliable rescuer?

If the person in need was a relative or someone I knew very well I'd do mouth to mouth. If not, I don't know--we all know what can happen since about 1981. Another point for that "foldable" pocket mask invention.

If the person in need was a relative or someone I knew very well I'd do mouth to mouth. If not, I don't know--we all know what can happen since about 1981. Another point for that "foldable" pocket mask invention.

Yes, but, from the Resuscitation Council UK - Resuscitation Guidelines 2010
Transmission of HIV during CPR has never been reported.

Yes, but, from the Resuscitation Council UK - Resuscitation Guidelines 2010

Well, OK. Maybe a factor. Either way, I'm not a fan of statistics. I have always been under the impression it is possible when regarding any body fluids. This may be incorrect? Is this zero statistic worldwide? UK only? How many cases, what situations? Is this stat 100% proof you can't get HIV from mouth to mouth? Does it state that? Of course, I'm also probably the only diver alive who never wants to see a shark in the wild regardless of the likelyhood of a zillion other odd things that have a better chance of killing you, so that's just me.

...//... The reason those masks exist is because of this... and that blood can be dirty and carry diseases. Again, our conclusion was if it makes the difference between saving a life and not then we would run the risk. YYMV.

I get a new set every two years, see pic. Keep one in the glove compartment. Great conversation starter, little else.

IRL, I'll take the chance too. Probably more of a risk being a regular blood donor than me getting taken out by one chance encounter that may never happen. Nice post.

Bottom line is one should either be prepared and willing to man/woman up on notice or don't be a poser. And remember that not all victims are Hollywood movie stars of the opposite sex.

Attachments

• CPR_Mask.jpg
    CPR_Mask.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 77

Back
Top Bottom