Newly Certified - Want to start the ball rolling on equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will most definitely give my LDS a shot at my business (after I thuroughly investigate the price :wink:). Then again, I'm a true believer that it's not ALL about the price, you need to factor servicing etc.

Atomic Regulators maybe a viable option as well. You pay a HIGH price upfront, but with free servicing and parts (lifetime). You maybe ahead of the game after ~ 10 years.

Just saying

My advice is to buy NOTHING until you have first determined what your goals are in diving. How far do you want to go? What agencies have you looked that support that level of diving you want to do in the future? Are you interested in technical and/or cave diving, in coldwater and tropical diving, in single-tank and double-tank diving, etc.

By all means, if you have a spare $1500 lying around, go out and get all the shiny new kit your instructor/buddies may have. However, keep in mind that your future dive plans may require a different kind of kit entirely, so why not start with the end in mind and get something modular that you can use for any kind of diving?

Generally, the "buy your wetsuit and regs first" advice is okay, but keep in mind that the types of regs you buy may not be suitable for the types of dives you wish to do in the future. Are the first stages hermetically sealed (more reliable in cold environments)? Is the primary reg a high-performance/high-demand reg and the secondary reg a low-performance reg? Are repairs easily sourced and are the parts kit cheap and in regular demand like Scubapro, Apeks, Aqualung, or some others?

In my experience, LDSs can be a great source of info but also a great source of ignorance. Typically they stock gear that most OW/AOW/DMs use and, in the interests of keeping the lights on, promote that gear as "all you need" or "plenty good enough" without being able to objectively promote what might be best for you and your goals, sometimes even to the point of disparaging other gear or gear requirements that other agencies may put on you in your future courses. Of course, there are shops out there that will have no problem turning down your business if what you are describing doesn't match their inventory because they are more interested in your long-term success than in your short-term dollars. Seek those shops. (Bonus points if they'll source that gear for you at special request).

Going back to the basics, I'd say get a rigid, non-split fin like the Scubapro JetFin (or Hollis F1, etc.) and put some spring straps on it that make donning/doffing simple. Get a mask that's low volume (easier to clear) and darker in color (absorbs incoming light keeping vision undistracted). Get a reg pair like the Apeks XTX200 or Scubapro MK25/S600 in DIN and buy the yoke conversion for the first stage if you will be renting tanks from a shop that don't supply tanks with DIN-convertable valves, like Luxfers. Eventually, when you buy your own tanks, you'll appreciate the security and quiet of the DIN over yoke.

As for BC, I wholeheartedly recommend a backplate (BP) and a wing (W). The BP/W setup is modular for both recreational, tech, and cave diving and, once you try it over a conventional BCD, you're likely to find it far more stable in the water, and in general, it requires less weight to dive. For AL tanks (wetsuit dives) go for the 30# single tank wing (or 40# double tank wing), and for steel tanks (drysuit dives), go for the 40# single tank wing (or 60# double tank wing).

In any event, these are the things I wish I'd heard prior to purchasing my first set of gear straight out of OW. In my case, I wasted a lot of money initially buying gear that wasn't what I needed, nor helped me towards my goals.

Best of luck!

Got certified and the one thing I promised myself was to get my own regulator
A very reasonable decision. Having your own regulator is 'comforting'. Yes, there are costs associated with it. But, I also bought a regulator as my first piece of gear beyond the simple mask, fins, boots, snorkel, and have never regretted the choice. Given where you live, I might substitute 'drysuit' for 'wetsuit', or add that as item 4).
While I have no idea on regs, the BCD I used down in Curacao @ The Dive Bus was good, I believe it was a TUSA Evolution
I can't comment on the specific BCD from personal experience. However, I believe the Evolution is a jacket-style BCD, with integrated weights, and neither feature is something I would recommend, particularly for cold water diving as far as integrated weights go. I have a jacket BCD and there is nothing 'wrong' with it, I just prefer a BP/W for recreational single tank diving. Likewise, I have a Zeagle Ranger with integrated weights, but find that I prefer a weight belt for most diving. Those are MY personal preferences, which have evolved over time. But, if a jacket BCD with integrated weights is what you want, then the particular unit is probably fine. I have no problem, per se, with TUSA but their dealer network does not appear to be extensive, at least not in the US.
Is buying a package (regs & BCD) better than buying individual ?
In general, I try to steer newer divers away from packages. They do not necessarily provide particular value, and you usually compromise on what you want, or might want in the near future. A lot of package gear ends up on eBay, or in a closet somewhere. Not always, but not infrequently, either. Better to identify a specific regulator and BCD that suits your diving plans.
What Regs & BCD would you recommend?
OkiMike finally broke the ice with a BP/W recommendation. I agree with him, although there are some who believe that SB posters are a bit too enthusiastic with BP/W recommendations. An alternative would be a very lightweight, very simple back-inflate BCD like a Zeagle Express Tech - minimal profile (and no completely unnecessary padding, that too many BCDs have), VERY good BCD for single tank diving, travels well. If your LDS (or online supplier) doesn't stock Zeagle, ask what the equivalent BCD might be in the brands they DO stock. (I am a big fan of Zeagle, because of their superb customer service, but your LDS may not be a Zeagle dealer.)

As for regulators, most of the 'major' manufacturers' product lines provide a spectrum of regulators (high end to low end), ALL of which are perfectly functional and provide quality for the money. You are well-served if you end up wth a regulator brand that can be readily serviced by your LDS. I have several models of Apeks and Zeagle regulators, and a Mares as well, because our shop happens to be a dealer for those brands, and I am quite happy with all of them (although I do find getting Mares parts to be a bit of a challenge at times). But, I would probably be as comfortable with ScubaPro, or Hollis, or HOG. So, it is hard to make a brand / model recommendation from afar beyond: 1) consider availability of local service for the brand, 2) definitely get an environmentally sealed unit, that is suitable for cold water diving, and 3) simpler is usually better. For example, you probably don't need a turret regulator (like a Zeagle 50D), and you probably don't need the most expensive regulator in the brand product line - on this point I probably disagree with OkiMike, and don't necessarily think an XTX200 would be a necessary purchase (although I have one and it is a great regulator). The Aqualung Titan is a great regulator, Poseidon makes very good equipment (although their North America dealer network is also somewhat limited), and many Atomics owners appear pleased with their choice.

CDN_Bubbler, this is all good advice. I can speak to what you will find in our area...

There are shops who are either old school or cater to Caribbean/vacation divers. They sell the jacket style BCD. The regulators they sell are okay for recreational use. They have gear which will server a Caribbean diver well and might be acceptable for diving locally between May and September.

There are shops who are hard core tech. They sell top end equipment. The regulators will function well in extreme conditions (65 metres deep, low viz, 0C/32F water, ice diving). They sell back plate/wing or side mount configurations. They offer trimix gases and most the customers are technical divers.

Then there are shops which are a mix. They are trying to capture both markets. They will have jacket style BCD and BP/W combinations. They will offer local training or they will do class and pool work here and give you a referral to a tropical location.

Ten years ago, technical diving was not as prevalent. I ended up buying jacket style BCD, regulators which are okay for recreational diving, etc. That equipment has served me well for the last ten years. Today I'm working towards more local diving, technical diving, etc. I am buying ALL new gear. The regulators are insufficient for technical diving. I need a drysuit so my 7mm wetsuit won't cut it for local diving and I'm not wearing 7mm in the Caribbean. My computer doesn't support trimix. My split fins don't give me the control I need. The jacket style BCD won't let me use doubles. Essentially, my mask is okay but everything else is getting replaced.

I got ten years out of my old equipment. So I have no regrets. However, if I was replacing gear today, I'd definitely want to buy all tech gear.

Tech diving is expensive. You can easily drop $3000 to $10000 on gear. You don't want to buy $3000 worth of gear and find you cannot afford to go diving. You also have to factor in $100 for gas rather than $7 for recreational air. You'll have twice as much gear (redundant backups) and servicing it will be more expensive than servicing less expensive recreational gear.

You can to ask yourself, what can you afford and still get a lot of diving in. Okay gear and lots of diving is better than top of the line gear and 6 to 10 dives a year.

Your best diving will be going to Rockport/St. Lawrence River or up to Tobermory. Too far for a day trip. Going for a weekend means, driving 4 to 5 hours each way. Cost of hotel/cabin, food, dive charters, etc. For a long weekend you can easily spend $500 to $1000. For that money you can go on a trip to an all-inclusive in the Caribbean. So are you okay with low viz, cold water diving? Or are you going to spend more time Caribbean diving?

Go to different dive shops in the area. Most the shops are PADI and something else. So you can find most of them on the PADI website. Some are only SSI (like The Dive Academy), so check with SSI for shops in our area. Once you talk to a few shops you'll learn a little more each place. Some shops will rub you the wrong way, others will appeal to you. You have to go with the shops that treat you right and have what you want. Talking to them will help you learn what you don't know. Right now, you probably don't even know what you don't know.

If you go outside the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) you'll find shops which are GUE (Global Underwater Explorers). These guys originated in Florida cave diving. They are hard core technical divers. In Toronto you tend to find old school technical divers (SDI/TDI, IANTD, DSAT or ex-military).

Take your time. You can throw away a lot of money if you rush into things.

ScubaDiver888 and Colliam7 offer good advice. My apologies if I came across as a hardass. As with everything, patience and prudence are best, and will serve you well if you can forego the desire to have the shiny new kit NOW.

I can attest to the expense of quality dive gear (a point my wife is all too keen on bringing to my attention each pay period), however I think most would agree that if technical diving is even a remote possibility (and even if it's not), you will be better served in the long run with robust gear.

By all means, connect with various skilled divers in your area and see if they won't give you the chance to try the gear for yourself. As is typical of those in my dive circle, we have at least two of everything and are always enthusiastic at letting curious divers have a go with a set whenever they're interested.

CDN_Bubbler, have a look at the scuba swap in a few weeks ScubaSwap.org - Home

Tons of used stuff to look over, normally good prices on things. If nothing else it gets you a chance to look at more options, talk to lots of experience divers who will be there, and hopefully find something that works for you for a good price.

Jim

Well as a Canadian diver you need to figure out where you will dive the most. Here in Canada where the water is cold to coolish or south, where the waters are warm and warmish...:wink:. Or like many both!

Once you figured it out - you will have a good idea as to where you will spend your money.

Since you are in Oakville...you are close to some great lakes diving, ship wreck alley and the St Lawrence river. Here you will need cold water gear. This means a 7 mll wetsuit, hood, gloves and booties. and or a farmer john, and or a drysuit. A robust BC or a Backplate and wing( this is another subject). A good set of fins, a dive light, and an environmentally sealed regulator. A compass, a time device like a dive computer or a bottom timer.

SO having said that....Regs for cold water diving and for anywhere else. My top choices would be APEKS XtX 200, Scubapro MK17 or Mk 25, Mares ABBYS, and a few others . But figure out how much you are willing to spend. I would not skimp on my regs. Regs that are well maintained can last a life time. SO get the best you can afford.

Next BC, you can start with a used BC for a 100$ or so...or rent until you find the one you like the best. This may mean hitting up a few dive shops around your area and try what they have. This will also give you a very good education of gear choice.

A wetsuit. Get one that fits you properly. This will help with comfort in the water and keep you toastie.

Get a compass and learn how to use it. A dive computer...get one that you can change out the battery yourself.

Dive light, get a 3 Cell LED. You do not need anything else for now. Unless youa re diving in dark water or at night, you may ope for a larger light like a canister light or a UK sl8. You can find used lights. You just need to look around.

Now get on this board...Ontario Diving

since you are in Ontario, many folks in your area on that board. Lots of info to be found aswell.

Got certified and the one thing I promised myself was to get my own regulator (sucking on rentals is not an option :shakehead:)

Background, I live in Oakville Ontario and could headover to Buffalo for gear if the savings would warrent.

Most packages I see are for the BC & Reg (not sure how to determine good value) ... any or all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

So what is the best first purchase of dive equipment ? As you can see, there are plenty of opinions. My question to you is what type of diving do you plan on ? And then my thought is....if you want to own your equipment, then a regulator is as good of a start as any. Do what will make you happy !

Wetsuit - I notice you live up north and of course diving there can be a bit colder than the Caribbean. If you plan on both types of destinations, then I would suggest making your wetsuit purchases in layers. Start with what you need and then wait for the next trip to see what you may need to add or change.

Regulator-There are those with a great more experience re: regulators and the performance for colder water vs. warm water. My experience is Texas lake/Caribbean and therefore can use the same reg. When I started 9 years ago, I purchased a middle of the road reg. Not too pricey, but adequate. Not a bad place to start. Then, as many do, look to purchase a better reg if you wish. Your first reg can then be the back up reg if you like.

BCD-This can be, to me , the most overwhelming purchase. There are so many choices. Is it possible for you to try out some BCD's at a dive shop ? If so, perhaps you can try the Vest type BCD as well as a BP/Wing. With anything, and especially the BCD, is seems folks either really like or dislike one or the other. My DH and I are BP/W converts. At first I thought that no way would I like it, but , we took the plunge and I am so very pleased with the end result.

Computer-This may be a purchase to hold off until you are set with everything else. Of course, look into renting until you are ready to make the purchase. For a purchase, again, you really don't need anything top shelf to start off. As many have done, I started with gauges for my first year, then purchased my first computer. That computer worked well for me for 8 years. Just recently, DH and I have purchased the new Galileo Luna and hopefully that will cover us for quite some time.

In my opinion, even if a new diver has enough cash on hand to go out and purchase all of his/her dive gear from the get go, he or she will end up changing or upgrading what they have eventually . Start with a basic package/set up. Maintain and use the equipment for 5 years or so. In the meantime, listen and learn about what other options are out there and then change or upgrade to meet your experience level and/or diving interests as needed.

Best wishes for many wonderful years of diving !

Great stuff, I'll check out the swap in Ontario and probably gleen some more juicy tidbits on which direction to go. I'm going to put off the BCD/BC-W purchase until I try some out on dives (Thanks for the advise in the forum and PM's :clapping:)

Still leaning toward I high end reg, with the flexibility to grow with me as a diver. As my cert dives were in the warm carribbean, I've got to tackle the colder waters at home (at least get a good comfort level with cold water diving). Then I can explore technical diving and what interests me.

Great stuff, I'll check out the swap in Ontario and probably gleen some more juicy tidbits on which direction to go. I'm going to put off the BCD/BC-W purchase until I try some out on dives (Thanks for the advise in the forum and PM's :clapping:)

Still leaning toward I high end reg, with the flexibility to grow with me as a diver. As my cert dives were in the warm carribbean, I've got to tackle the colder waters at home (at least get a good comfort level with cold water diving). Then I can explore technical diving and what interests me.

There you go, sounds like you have your plan ! :) Overall, take your time, get some experience and the decisions will come easier....Have a wonderful time !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom