Newly Certified - Want to start the ball rolling on equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CDN_Bubbler,

If you haven't been trained to dive locally, you might want to take a refresher/local diving course. I'd been diving for 5 years in the Caribbean before I started diving here. I was pretty good in the Caribbean but my first dive here was a total disaster. Buoyancy control with 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, etc. is very different.

If you don't want to pay for the training, you should at least try out the new gear in a pool here before you hit the open water and/or go diving with people who are local divers.

:cold::cold:
CDN_Bubbler,

If you haven't been trained to dive locally, you might want to take a refresher/local diving course. I'd been diving for 5 years in the Caribbean before I started diving here. I was pretty good in the Caribbean but my first dive here was a total disaster. Buoyancy control with 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, etc. is very different.

If you don't want to pay for the training, you should at least try out the new gear in a pool here before you hit the open water and/or go diving with people who are local divers.

Definitely in local pools, buoyancy in freshwater should be interesting, and there a wreck off Oakville harbour in around 60ft of water ... my goal is to dive it this summer ... in warm :wink: 10c water. :cold:

I know about the wreck off Oakville harbour. Oakville Divers had a trip out to it on Wednesdays. I live downtown Toronto. So getting out to Oakville for a Wednesday dive just never worked for me. If you find someone going out to the wreck on a weekend, let me know and I'll join you.

I know about the wreck off Oakville harbour. Oakville Divers had a trip out to it on Wednesdays. I live downtown Toronto. So getting out to Oakville for a Wednesday dive just never worked for me. If you find someone going out to the wreck on a weekend, let me know and I'll join you.

I'll ask @ the Academy for a schedule of their trips (local).

I'm kind of in the same boat. Getting certified with a trip to the Grenadines in the near future. I read everything I could find, visited several lds, & consulted with a good friend who is ex navy EOD. I was divided between a zeagle ranger or similar or BP&W. Two days ago I tried a BP&W, Wow loved it. I'm a big guy who's been shrinking & loved the versatility. Jacket BC's make me feel like the Sta-Puff marshmallo man. Couldn't believe the difference. I felt free. It's light for travel, versatile, & upgradeable. Now How much????? Apex SS BP, harness, 35 psi wing w/ weight pockets, Aqualung legend reg, BC integrated Octo, & free advanced class. $1255.00 with package discount. I already bought a air integrated computer so didn't need one. Based upon the cost difference between online & lds I chose the lds. The best part, other than the comfort, was the expression on the Divemaster/salesman was the grin when I asked about a BP/W. I knew had made the right call. He said he loved to work with a educated customer. For that I'll thank this forum. Going Saturday to order(It's their Sale day)going to have the wife try one on. Good luck.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Getting certified with a trip to the Grenadines in the near future. I read everything I could find, visited several lds, & consulted with a good friend who is ex navy EOD. I was divided between a zeagle ranger or similar or BP&W. Two days ago I tried a BP&W, Wow loved it. I'm a big guy who's been shrinking & loved the versatility. Jacket BC's make me feel like the Sta-Puff marshmallo man. Couldn't believe the difference. I felt free. It's light for travel, versatile, & upgradeable. Now How much????? Apex SS BP, harness, 35 psi wing w/ weight pockets, Aqualung legend reg, BC integrated Octo, & free advanced class. $1255.00 with package discount. I already bought a air integrated computer so didn't need one. Based upon the cost difference between online & lds I chose the lds. The best part, other than the comfort, was the expression on the Divemaster/salesman was the grin when I asked about a BP/W. I knew had made the right call. He said he loved to work with a educated customer. For that I'll thank this forum. Going Saturday to order(It's their Sale day)going to have the wife try one on. Good luck.

Great stuff!

The other divers on this board are really helpful! With so much choice available it's great to get different opinions. I was set on a jacket BCD and a high end reg, I'm now holding off on the BCD and considering a BP/W as well as looking at different Mid-Range regs (Auqalung, APEKs ... ). Keep an open mind and don't be too hasty with any puchases especially as a "first" timer.

Cheers

I've been diving for 7 years. My first year of diving, I bought a used wetsuit for $10. It fits well and keeps me as warm as a wetsuit can keep you in the Great Lakes. It's not 7 mils anymore, but it's my friend and I'll be wearing it until they cut it off my frozen bod. I spent another $10 (LDS annual tent sale) for gloves and a hood. I got my fins at the same time on clearance. I did buy a new, full-price mask. The tent sale was my first introduction to our LDS. They were very nice to me, if a bit amused by my bargain-hunting mandate.

My second year, I bought a used BC (from our LDS). It fits like a glove and I have it serviced annually. I'll probably use it for many more years. They threw in a rental weight belt and I paid a buck a pound for some old rental weights.

My third year, I focused on getting out to dive more, plus took a few classes.

My fourth year, I bought used tanks that the LDS got as trade-ins. At this point, they'd learned to call me first when something used came up as a trade-in or rental retire. :)

My fifth year, I bought a flashlight (new, even). It works great both for diving and for looking for the dog when he disappears out back.

I used rental regs for 6 years (Our LDS rents good regs that are very well-maintained.) and just last year bought myself a new reg - Scubapro A700 - worth waiting for.

And this year - after only ever using tables and diving gauges, I bought (gasp) a computer!

Did I mention that with all the money I've saved over the years, I just went to Truk? (booked through my LDS - who still seem to love me, because while I am a bargain hunter, I never buy dive gear online, or from anyplace other than my LDS)

Great stuff!

The other divers on this board are really helpful! With so much choice available it's great to get different opinions. I was set on a jacket BCD and a high end reg, I'm now holding off on the BCD and considering a BP/W as well as looking at different Mid-Range regs (Auqalung, APEKs ... ). Keep an open mind and don't be too hasty with any puchases especially as a "first" timer.

Cheers

May seriously want to check out the HOG cold water regs, just got mine this week and super happy with them for the price I paid, very high quality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom