Newly certified, where should I go for a solo trip??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

14 Hours LAX to Fiji???????

Try 10 1/2 hours, not 14.
11 hrs. 20 mins. actual flight time on AA or Fiji Air. Plus you have to be there an hour + before the flight to check in. And wait for your luggage. LAX isn't exactly known for on-time departures either...The OP has to add the flight time from KY also - not all of us live in SoCal. So either way it burns a whole day.

Last edited:
How much time do you have for your trip? If you can get to Asia, forget about anywhere in the Caribbean...no comparison. Philippines/Indonesia can rack up to 5 dives per day cheaply with the world's best diving

ocdiver1 makes a god point. If you have time, consider Bali or nearby islands. Inexpensive, easy to travel solo, and very nice diving. Many board members will surely have suggestions.

Sounds like this guy is newly certified.

I wasn't under the impression that Saba or Fiji were well suited for newbie divers.

Also although everyone knows that SE Asia is superior to Caribbean diving, maybe he should save that for the next trip so he can enjoy the more diverse range of sites once his skills are up. Also can't Sept/Oct be a dicey time for weather there?

Let him have some time before his backyard diving is ruined by Pacific diving :wink:

Lots to see in Bonaire or Roatan and very suitable and affordable for a first dive trip especially coming from the states. Also less travel and adjustment stress, since first time ocean diving is already a lot to work on. IMHO.

Last edited:
Excellent responses! You all are making my wanderlust come roaring back. I've spent time in SE Asia before and had the absolute time of my life there. I am definitely going to make my way back there to experience the diving but probably not at this time. I'd like to plan it more and have at least a month to stay considering the logistics of the trip and flight cost.

First dive trip - first salt water diving.
My choices in order would be

Coco View is space was available
Bonaire if Coco View didn't work out
Liveaboard as third choice - the Dancer boat in Belize does a lot of acceptable beginner dives.

If budget is a real concern you might look at scuba club cozumel.
The diving will be a little more advanced at SCC than at the other locales - but anywhere you travel to - LET THE PEOPLE YOU ARE DIVING WITH (the DM"S) KNOW YOUR EXPERIENCE LEVEL. They will help you - and they will enjoy helping you and it's their job.

I have not stayed at the reef resort on Roatan so I can't comment as to how good of a choice it would be.
Grand cayman is pricey! I would not recommend a beginner go to Saba.

Last edited:
I know only where I've dived, and in 15 years I've not dived outside the US (boo hoo, I know, but I've had fun). And maybe you have an air travel-passport trip in your heart, so I wouldn't try to dissuade you.

Where I have been is offshore Texas and Florida, both Panhandle and East coast around West Palm and Jupiter (and New England, but I will guess you want something warmer).

the Texas Flower Gardens are a fun, inexpensive, no-frills liveaboard experience, out of Freeport. Not much to do ashore, but Houston and Galveston are close. Not exactly a newbie dive venue, far offshore, but in September with fair weather it's warm, and if the current's light and they match you up with a good buddy, the water's real clear and it's pretty coral diving. I did it as my first post-cert dive trip, and it was great.

Florida panhandle is more a regional than a national or international dive mecca, but it's good--wrecks and a little coral, and a fun scene on shore with Pensacola, Destin, Panama City Beach. The "inshore" wrecks are good diving, little to no current, doable for a new diver.

Florida east coast where I've been, West Palm is good, variety of boats and levels of challenge, and a nice introduction to drift diving. The Jupiter scene a bit more advanced and spearfishy, so you could try West Palm, several good ops and lots to do ashore. And I haven't done it but the Florida Keys have shallower coral and I understand much of it is good for new divers, and beautiful. And you have Miami and the Keys.

So anyway, best of luck where ever you go.

" do as much diving as possible".........Get on a live-aboard somewhere...Due to your location, maybe somewhere in the Caribbean???---maybe an Aggressor somewhere close by???.....get up to 5 dives a day & a buddy will probably be no problem....

---------- Post added August 19th, 2014 at 06:53 AM --------

---------- Post added August 19th, 2014 at 06:54 AM ----------

11 hrs. 20 mins. actual flight time on AA or Fiji Air. Plus you have to be there an hour + before the flight to check in. And wait for your luggage. LAX isn't exactly known for on-time departures either...The OP has to add the flight time from KY also - not all of us live in SoCal. So either way it burns a whole day.

PLUS---figure in Fiji land/water travel time......When we landed in Nadi(@ ~ 5 AM local time), it took us another 7+ hours to get to the resort-ie Beqa Lagoon..

Last edited:
I like Grand Cayman for new divers. The conditions are good and depths not great. Also, though jot real exotic, the upper Keys in Florida present lots of dive sites for new divers. Coco View in Roatan is another place to consider. Bonaire is known for its great shore diving, so if you go there and want to take advantage of that aspect, you will need to find a buddy and be confident of your dive planning and navigation skills. Keep that in mind.
Have a good time wherever you choose.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom