Next Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater Petrel 2. No doubt. Best computer, best service and support.

BTW, I'm starting AN/DP Jan 31, and also doing Fundies February 12-15. Using my Petrel1, and DG03 as backup.

The only posts I've seen touting the H3 are from people who sell them.

Regarding the H3 that's why I mentioned the specs. However, if the H3 does what it proposes to, it might set the new standard. My undergrad was in Telecom Engineering (though I have never really practice) thus in this kind of situation I have a mix of enthusiasm for the specs and skepticism for the lack of track record.

You have the Hollis DG3 (same as Aeris Elite T3 or Oceanic VT3) as Backup and I want to know your opinion on this particular DC as a recreational and back up on Tech. If I decide to go on the Fundies then ADN/DP I might not have budget for the Petrel 2 this year, would you still recommend it?

I've decided to do Fundies, doing a primer this week in Florida. GUE is officially anti-computer, not sure how true that is in reality. A Petrel is a really expensive bottom timer, so don't be in a hurry to buy one if you are thinking of going that way.

I've decided to do Fundies, doing a primer this week in Florida. GUE is officially anti-computer, not sure how true that is in reality. A Petrel is a really expensive bottom timer, so don't be in a hurry to buy one if you are thinking of going that way.

Given that GUE has adopted a rebreather, I'm interested in hearing if Jabolnski tries to walk back the anti-computer rant :)

Regarding the H3 that's why I mentioned the specs. However, if the H3 does what it proposes to, it might set the new standard. My undergrad was in Telecom Engineering (though I have never really practice) thus in this kind of situation I have a mix of enthusiasm for the specs and skepticism for the lack of track record.

You have the Hollis DG3 (same as Aeris Elite T3 or Oceanic VT3) as Backup and I want to know your opinion on this particular DC as a recreational and back up on Tech. If I decide to go on the Fundies then ADN/DP I might not have budget for the Petrel 2 this year, would you still recommend it?

The DG03 is a really good value. And it works in gauge mode, making it great for when you go to Tech. For both Rec and Tec it is a solid choice. However, it is *much* harder to learn how to use, way less intuitive, etc. It took me 3 separate sessions of 20-30 minutes to *sort of* learn it. The Petrel I was cranking advanced functions in 5 minutes. If money is an issue now, the DG03 is good because you will use it well into Tec when you have a Petrel, and you won't have wasted the money. I think it is worth stepping up to the Petrel now, and saving $$ elsewhere. Especially since many venders have the Petrel 2 for ~$765.

---------- Post added January 26th, 2015 at 10:20 AM ----------

I've seen this anti-computer thing about GUE on the internet. But every GUE guy I've seen diving in person has a Liquidvision or Petrel on his arm. And the Liquidvision guys were lamenting how it was the bomb when they bought it, but now they want to upgrade to Petrels. At least 2 of those GUE divers were well known instructors. I'll post what they are using in my fundies class in a couple of weeks.

Any bottom timer will do for Fundies. If you have an expensive computer, you can just leave it in gauge mode for Fundies.

As it was explained to me in Fundies, GUE is not "anti-computer." What they are mainly against is people relying on their computers to the exclusion of properly planning and executing their dives.

My Fundies instructor deflected my question when I brought up that JJ's book "Doing It Right--The Fundamentals of Better Diving"--recommended/required reading for the course--seems to take a hard line against computers. There seem to be some things in that book that they no longer really adhere to, starting with the term "DIR."

The problem is it will be untested technology - no track record to ensure reliability. The petrel has that track record. Not saying h3 may not be there one day- but in a deco dive tried and true is usually better than the latest technology / within reason.

Lorenzoid, keep in mind when the DIR book was written, at that time the computers were a far cry from where they are today, so while it did take a hard stance against them, it will be interesting to see how they start changing since Shearwaters introduction of the Predator really screwed a lot anti-computer divers arguments....

Any bottom timer will do for Fundies. If you have an expensive computer, you can just leave it in gauge mode for Fundies.

As it was explained to me in Fundies, GUE is not "anti-computer." What they are mainly against is people relying on their computers to the exclusion of properly planning and executing their dives.

My Fundies instructor deflected my question when I brought up that JJ's book "Doing It Right--The Fundamentals of Better Diving"--recommended/required reading for the course--seems to take a hard line against computers. There seem to be some things in that book that they no longer really adhere to, starting with the term "DIR."

Lorenzoid, keep in mind when the DIR book was written, at that time the computers were a far cry from where they are today, so while it did take a hard stance against them, it will be interesting to see how they start changing since Shearwaters introduction of the Predator really screwed a lot anti-computer divers arguments....

It seems Lorenzoid is aware by reading his post (See bold print).

Last edited:

Indeed. If I recall, the book lists a "Baker's Dozen Reasons" why computers are bad. It's hard to not laugh when reading that list. I'm sure many of the reasons made sense at one time, but several seem outdated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom