Teric OR MK3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the answers and advice. She's 16, so if you have kids, you know they have the attention span of a goldfish. LOL. I did notice that you can name the transmitters on the Garmin which I like.

What @Belzelbub said. If you don't trust her to monitor her air properly, then should you really be letting her dive? That is a fundamental skill. THE fundamental skill. And things happen. Despite best intentions, buddies get separated sometimes.

Using hand signals to ask her is an excellent way to help her build the habit of checking, and also a good start to developing communication in general.

Challenge her to respond with her tank pressure when you ask WITHOUT checking her gauge first. Then verify how close she was.

I trained my goldfish to check on me. 😛 Help her establish good habits from the outset, and consider that she may resent being "babied".
Thankfully, she is very responsible.

Shearwater is still the best dive computers out there, as far as the operation as a dive computer goes. Worth noting this doesn’t mean other dive computers, like the Garmin, are far behind. Also worth noting, the things that make a computer like a Shearwater better, may not mean anything to you, and they’ll just be unimportant features which you’d have paid a premium price for. I for example, rather use a puck computer, all I need is depth, time and NDL for recreational dives, there’s a lot of things that undoubtedly be nice, like a LED screen, say, but they won’t improve my diving, this is an argument based on how much one wants to spend on dive computer.
I said I rather use a puck because I can have it on my forearm rather than my wrist, I can read my computer much easier there than on my wrist, this means of course, I can, and use a Perdix that way on tech dives.

Although the Shearwaters are better dive computers, I think the Garmin is a much better overall product, I have the MK2s and it’s a fenomenal watch that just happens to be one of the best dive computers also. And the new MK3 you’re looking at is even better, at some point I will sell my MK2s and upgrade to the MK3i.

Your daughter is likely gonna be better suited with the smaller size Garmin than the Teric, I even prefer the 43mm version of MK3i myself, I think the 51mm and the Teric are too big, specially as an everyday watch.

And last point, the Garmin has a bungee system with their quick disconnect bands that lets you switch from rubber bands to bungee mount in seconds, super neat, which allows me to mount the computer on my preferred location, forearm, and switch right back to wrist in seconds when I’m done diving.
I saw the MK3 in person and it's very similar to my Epix Pro. One idea was selling my Teric and Epix Pro and possibly buying the MK3 and 2 transmitters for now and a lil MK3 for her later. I like having the option to follow my regular pressure gauge as well as monitoring the air on the watch.

What @Belzelbub said. If you don't trust her to monitor her air properly, then should you really be letting her dive? That is a fundamental skill. THE fundamental skill. And things happen. Despite best intentions, buddies get separated sometimes.

Using hand signals to ask her is an excellent way to help her build the habit of checking, and also a good start to developing communication in general.

Challenge her to respond with her tank pressure when you ask WITHOUT checking her gauge first. Then verify how close she was.
I have a lot of faith in her and we'll see how it all goes in April in Aruba.

I do have kids and both dive. I monitor their air during a dive by asking them to report it to me. Being in contact and supporting them in this activity is one thing. Having to look over their shoulder like this is a non-starter. If they aren't ready to monitor their gas supply during a dive, then they really aren't ready to dive.
It's actually more for my piece of mind than anything.

It's actually more for my piece of mind than anything.
Most likely. Try with just the hand signals. You will probably be pleasantly surprised with her competence. Young kids, especially girls, tend to absorb a lot during instruction.

Hi @jodeci888

Both my children were certified to dive at age 12. I've been diving with my son for 26 years now, he's just 10 years younger than you. I have been diving with my daughter for just 22 years.

Both have always been responsible for monitoring their own gas and were very good at it, from the beginning. It became apparent early in our diving together that their gas consumption was as good as mine.

I understand that it might be tempting to take advantage of technology to monitor your daughter's gas. I would suggest resisting that urge and making sure your daughter simply understands her responsibility to dive. I believe that would enhance the diving experience for both of you.

Best of luck, nothing like diving with your family :)

I even prefer the 43mm version of MK3i myself, I think the 51mm and the Teric are too big, specially as an everyday watch.
I never thought about that until now. What a good point!
I just measured my regular dive watches and they're about 40mm. I don't think I'd want much larger if I were to get the Mk3i as an everyday watch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom