Next equipment to purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WDiver78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone,

I am looking for recommendations on what equipment I should buy next, I have been getting mixed recommendations from friends, so I would like to ask this forum and see what you guys think.

So far I already have my:
1. Mask
2. Boots
3. Fins
4. Dive Comp

Would help if you guys can suggest my next purchase.

Thank you!

That would really depend on how and where you dive and your preferences. The usual progression would be to get your own regulator set and BCD. Personally, I would say start with the BCD if you can't do both as that is a very personalized piece of equipment. You can stick any regulator in your mouth and so long as it breathes so will you.

Regulator for sure. It is the most common price of equipment that may not function properly if not taken care of well. It can be tuned to your liking and a price of equipment that actually goes into your mouth… :) It is also a piece of equipment which performance will vary the most as far as high or low quality.

Hi everyone,

I am looking for recommendations on what equipment I should buy next, I have been getting mixed recommendations from friends, so I would like to ask this forum and see what you guys think.

So far I already have my:
1. Mask
2. Boots
3. Fins
4. Dive Comp

Would help if you guys can suggest my next purchase.

Thank you!

After that list, exposure protection should be first, and for 2 reasons.

First is that getting a properly fitting wetsuit is essential for diver comfort.
Second, two types of divers, those who pee in their wetsuits, and those who lie about it. Last thing I want is to be in a rental wetsuit....

First of all, bravo for getting the basics first! You clearly did your homework.

Echoing the previous comments, I would say it's a toss up between BC/regulators and a good exposure suit. If you are diving primarily warm water and you don't get cold easily, I would personally lean towards the BC/regulator set so you can get used to setting up your own gear and the process becomes muscle memory.

I would urge you to 'test dive' as many BCs as you are able before committing. You are entering the expensive phase of equipment investment (outside the computer), and you want to make the right equipment choices for the diving you do the most.

I vote exposure suit. Rentals vary in fit and thickness (due to age). Comfort and a consistent buoyancy that figures into your weight requirements. Plus, you can de-funk it whenever you like. 😉

Reactions: Zef
This is the order for major purchases that I recommend to my customers, repectively:
Mask- Has to fit your face well
BCD- Customized to your body and familiarity with weight system, etc., is paramount
Computer- Sometimes difficult to rent. You need to know how to use it and understand what it is telling you.
Wetsuit- Everyone pees in wetsuits... get a nice one that fits well and is appropriate for the majority of conditions that you dive in.
Fins and Boots- Appropriate finning technique makes you more efficient underwater. Better SAC rate. Better for reef health.
Regulator- Easy enough to rent, but you can configure yours in a way that best suits your diving. Nice to breathe out of a quality regulator

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom