Next equipment to purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the order for major purchases that I recommend to my customers, repectively:
Mask- Has to fit your face well
BCD- Customized to your body and familiarity with weight system, etc., is paramount
Computer- Sometimes difficult to rent. You need to know how to use it and understand what it is telling you.
Wetsuit- Everyone pees in wetsuits... get a nice one that fits well and is appropriate for the majority of conditions that you dive in.
Fins and Boots- Appropriate finning technique makes you more efficient underwater. Better SAC rate. Better for reef health.
Regulator- Easy enough to rent, but you can configure yours in a way that best suits your diving. Nice to breathe out of a quality regulator
I agree with your descriptions and reasoning, but disagree with the order somewhat. But really no wrong answers.

If I were to buy everything today, my order would be as follows:
Mask, Fins/boots: Usually required personal gear for a class.
Computer: While you can rent one, getting familiar with a different computer each time is not the best route.
Wetsuit: Same reasons.
Regulator: Same reasons.
BC: I put this last as these are easy enough to rent, and apart from a few examples function pretty much the same. Inflator is usually in the same position, weight systems are also generally similar, or at least close enough that renting for a while would be fine.

I would skip buying a BCD and go straight to a backplate and wing. Much more versatile and being modular, you can dive single or double tanks(depending on the wing lift).

BPW.
Regulators.
Wetsuit.

Our picks at this household:

Dive Gear Express, Halcyon, Helium Ti (Paragon), or Pirana Dive Shop for the back plate, cam bands, and harness.

Dive Gear Express for the wing.

Dive Rite Xt1, Xt4, for regs. Rubber hoses, except flex for inflator. Yoke, with simple SPG. Hog D1 with Halcyon Halos. Hog D3 Zenith.

Any wetsuit that fits. Visit your LDS

How comfortable are you with figuring out the weight you need and how to place it with rentals? If you are consistently able to float effortlessly horizontal, I'd say reg next, wetsuit, and then a backplate & wing which have a better value /price ratio than any BCD.

Original post is from 5 weeks ago and the poster hasn't been back since.

Yeah manners is equipment, a beautiful woman made quite a complimentary fuss
when I almost ran completely inside out, to hold the door open for her yesterday

Second, two types of divers, those who pee in their wetsuits, and those who lie about it. Last thing I want is to be in a rental wetsuit....
Hey, speak for yourself, pal.

I have never compromised the integrity of my suits . . .

Everyone seems to agree on Regulator, BC, or wetsuit. The priority depends on what kind of diving you are doing. If you're diving in cold water a good fitting wetsuit is a priority. You might not like how rental BC's fit or use. My personal preference would be to purchase a quality regulator. It makes a big difference with respect to breathing effort.

Reactions: OTF
Regulator for sure. It is the most common price of equipment that may not function properly if not taken care of well. It can be tuned to your liking and a price of equipment that actually goes into your mouth… :) It is also a piece of equipment which performance will vary the most as far as high or low quality.
And it travels very well in a reasonably small package/bag. It's also something that you can rent but not all rental regs are created equal. Safe and functioning, I'd expect that. The way they breathe though may or may not be "comfortable" to you.

Having your own BCD is nice, I bought mine right after my reg (like a week later) but the style and type varies greatly due personal preference, travel demands etc. My Zeagle Covert XT has been a great purchase for me, but again, its quite personal on the BCD side of things.

JW

Back
Top Bottom