Next Scuba Destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNScubaSteve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am planning my next diving trip for next month. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions of some amazing diving? I am still relatively new with about 20 dives and my advanced open water certificate. I have dove in Key Largo, Florida and Cozumel, Mexico is where I was certified.

I am willing to go almost anywhere. Maybe central america, Caribbean, south africa, New Zeland, australia, or south pacific. Any suggestions??

How long can you take off to go, how much money can you spend on this trip, how long a plane ride are you willing to endure, will others (particularly non-diving family) be traveling with you, and what do you enjoy most or wish to see in diving?

Are you determined to stick with the land-based dive boat style trip you're used to, or are you open to a live-aboard trip?

Do you plan to stick to warm water, high visibility diving for now?

Richard.

go read some of the posts on the invasion trip to the Atlantis Resorts in the Philippines.

How long can you take off to go, how much money can you spend on this trip, how long a plane ride are you willing to endure, will others (particularly non-diving family) be traveling with you, and what do you enjoy most or wish to see in diving?

Are you determined to stick with the land-based dive boat style trip you're used to, or are you open to a live-aboard trip?

Do you plan to stick to warm water, high visibility diving for now?

Richard.

I can take off a full week (7-8 days). I could spend as much as $3000. Maybe more depending on how interested I am. I can endure long plane rides. I will be traveling alone. Maybe another friend who is certified. I enjoy nice warm climates, good visibility. I would also like to maybe take some surf lessons during this trip. But I'd also consider a live-aboard. I'm keeping an open mind at this point.

Distant travel destinations often take a couple of days to get to and from. If you're out 4 days of a week's vacation, and the torment & expense of the travel, that's a bad trade off in my book. You're U.S.-based, like me. I've been no farther diving than the Caribbean (Bonaire), and I'd plan to take 2 weeks off for a trip to, oh, say, Komodo, Palau, the Philippines, etc...

If that $3,000 includes airfare, I think you're written off some of the far distant destinations. I take solo dive trips from time to time, and I tend to budget maybe $3,500 - $4,000 or so?

You're to the far northern U.S., pretty centrally located. Check your airfare for varied destinations; after Cozumel, some of the main 1st tier destinations include Key Largo/Florida Keys (you've been), Roatan (e.g.: CocoView, Anthony's Key Resort - which is where I think ScubaBoard is doing an Invasion trip next year?), Bonaire (love it; famous for independent shore diving; I recommend going with a group your 1st time to learn how it all works, including getting around on land) and Belize (which has a lot of options; to narrow it down, consider Ambergris Caye vs. a live-aboard trip).

Not sure where you'd do warm water diving & take surfing lessons; somewhere in Florida maybe? Divers bobbing at the surface & trying to get back on dive boats don't like big waves.

Here's my trip report from a live-board trip May 2015 out of Belize (the boat's been renamed the Belize Aggressor IV). We've got a thread, Picking a Caribbean Live-aboard. The Caribbean Explorer diving St. Kitts and Saba tends to be cheaper than some other options.

If you really want cheap and don't mind roughing it, check out T.C.'s 2014 trip report from a Blackbeard's cruise.

If you want some cheap dive trip options, with costs discussed, check out Total Cost Mid-range Budget Florida & Caribbean Trips.

Richard.

It takes almost 24 hours of travel to get to S. E. Asia and Pacific sites. Plus you lose a day (although you gain it back coming home). I think you would be better served with 10-12 + days of travel to those locations. For surfing, considering your budget and time constraint maybe look into Costa Rica. What about Belize, not a lot of surfing, but I think I remember reading about a good break on one the reefs. Hawaii of course has both but is a bit pricey.

For future, Indonesia has great surfing and diving!! So if you wanted to make a break for Bali you would be in heaven.

I've been to a few warm water locales but as far as amount of life goes you can't beat British Columbia. I'm going back to God's Pocket next month for my third consecutive Browning Pass trip. I have no plans to go anywhere else for now after enjoying the myriad of animals found there.

For a combination of surfing and diving I would recommend Lombokl/South Lombok. It´s the lesser known sister island of Bali. I have just been there about a month ago and it´s beautiful. Allthough, 7-8 days might be bit short for a trip there. Have you checked out Bonaire?

Pacific coast of Costa Rica might be a good trip to mix surfing and diving. The viz is ok there, but lots of sealife munching on all the good stuff in the water :wink: We dove out of Playa Ocotal several years ago, but I think for surfing I would look at Tamarindo. Earlier this year there were killer deals on flights into Liberia airport! No idea what the weather is like in August, rainy season?

Come do a liveaboard with Explorer Ventures! Turks & Caicos is a quick and easy flight with beautiful wall diving and large and macro marine life. Also it is the best place for Kitesurfing although the wind tends to die from August - November. We also have liveaboards in St.Maarten/Saba/St.Kitts, The Maldives, and The Galapagos. With a ton of summer specials if you are looking for a deal.
Summer Specials:
Explorer Ventures Last Minute Offers
Year of Savings:
Year of Savings Specials

I used to work onboard the Turks & Caicos Explorer and continue to work for the company doing shore support here in Turks and Caicos. Message me if you have any questions at all :)

Back
Top Bottom