Nice knife for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Titanium knives will never rust because titanium can't rust.

I just ordered the new Halcyon Explorer knife. I like the streamlined look and the slant to the sheath seems like a good idea.

10-TechKnife_Sheath_c200.jpg
10-KnifeComparison_c200.jpg

I'm old school. I dive a Ginsu tucked into the front of a white leather belt with a converted 3 liter pop bottle as my tank and a sippy straw reg. But that's only because I'm a hard core DIR diver.

Your mileage may vary. :D

Attachments

• Ginsu.jpg
    Ginsu.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 194
I dive with a sawed off steak knife, and a sheath made out of sewn two inch webbing:

60012_IMAGE_MEDIUM.jpg

Great for cutting just about anything except steel leaders, totally useless for prying so if you are planning on dismantling a wreck or destroying the bottom to catch hiding lobsters or something you might additionally need a crow bar.

I have a titanium blunt tip on my HP hose, a S/S 420 alloy blunt on the left leg, and a S/S 316 alloy pointed on my right leg (both mounted on my inside calf). If I am spearfishing, I also carry a Riffe dispatch knife on my right forearm.

I have a titanium blunt tip on my HP hose, a S/S 420 alloy blunt on the left leg, and a S/S 316 alloy pointed on my right leg (both mounted on my inside calf). If I am spearfishing, I also carry a Riffe dispatch knife on my right forearm.

Armed to the teeth a bit? Where do you carry the axe?

Armed to the teeth a bit? Where do you carry the axe?

Well Parz...........knowing that you are in the water, I need all the weapons I can get! Just kidding.

It's the Jersey Wreck Diving thing. Dive like you are an underwater hardware store. I can't fit the axe, so I just have a sheath for a hatchet.

I liked your photos at Dutch. Does Bev know you have a good shot of her at the dock? I'll be at the student side under the IVS tent on Saturday. I'm trying for Sunday too, but I may have some conflicts, and Saturday may be my only day. I hope to see you around, if you ar going up to the quaribbean. Talk to you later.

I'm looking for a good knife myself, but I suspect my criteria are a little different than most.

1) It should be cheap. I don't want to pay a lot for a knife that's going to get submerged in salt water and banged around. I want a functional, yet disposable knife.

2) It should have a nylon or preferably a plastic sheath and the sheath should have slots that fit 2" webbing.

3) It should be stainless steel.

4) I'd like a blade around 4 or 5 inches long. A pointy tip is OK as it allows me to hunt flounder if the opportunity arises.

Harbor Freight has a survival knife that's almost exactly what I'm looking for. $9, plastic sheath, stainless steel. Only problem is the blade is 8" long. That's obtusely big. I'll probably get a couple anyway just because of the price, but it would be nice to find something similar but smaller.

Titanium knives will never rust because titanium can't rust.

Not to nit-pick, but titanium is a metal.....and all metals "rust". The closest that you'll come to a truly non-rusting metal is Gold.

However.....it is true that under normal circumstances, oxidization (rusting) of titanium is a very slow process. The only downside is that it is also a relatively soft metal.

Back
Top Bottom