night diving differences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure the whole rig is secured via a lanyard of some sort to your BCD....in the event that you are overwhelmed because of task loading (not that it will happen....it MAY)....you can let go of the camera and worry about the rest.... Using a camera on a night dive can be tricky if you are new to diving....you already have one hand on a primary torch, buoyancy issues to worry about (the constant fiddling with the inflator many new divers go through), etc....add trying to clear your mask because it is fogging and squeezing your nose to equalize and you soon wish you were and octopus instead of hoping to see one....

Take it easy, choose an easy night dive, inform your DM that you are new and pay for the guide (don't try this on your very first time with just a buddy!). To be honest, I doubt your DM will let you bring the camera on your very first night dive....especially if it is part of the AOW course (which is certainly worth doing if anything for the experience and to avoid Nazi dive centers that won't let you go deeper than 18m without an AOW certification card)

thanks! thats really helpful. i thought a light was needed mounted somewhere on the camera. where exactly do you mount the mini light? thanks

I was setting up my camera to go diving tomorrow, so I took a couple of pictures.

This first one shows my one strobe setup. I use a couple of arm segments and a ULCS component that velcros to a variety of flashlights.

IMG_0438.jpg

This second one shows my setup with two strobes. I use a three-way clamp to attach the flashlight to one of the sides, splitting it off of the strobe arm.

IMG_0436.jpg

David

That setup does not look cheap...

I think that ulcs sells a mount for two q40(?) AA flashlights. there is nothing too "official" about my light. It is just a 4 C flashlight with a diffuser. The arms and clamps cost more, I think

The camera, strobes, and housing - yep, they're a few bucks.

David

I think that ulcs sells a mount for two q40(?) AA flashlights. there is nothing too "official" about my light. It is just a 4 C flashlight with a diffuser. The arms and clamps cost more, I think

The camera, strobes, and housing - yep, they're a few bucks.

David
The UK Q40 is 4xAA

AGREED!

thanks. that looks like a pretty official focus light. would a simple backup light like this work?

Something like the SL6 may work. An LED version might be better. I would be concerned about the evenness of the lighting. The diffuser on my Ike flashlight spreads the light evenly without hotspots, as would a true focus light. The SL6 would probably fit in the same ULCS holder that I use.

Here is an article by Reef Photo comparing some focus lights.

Reef Photo Comparison

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom