Night Diving Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rondo:
I also find that backscatter from lights hitting partcles in the water can ruin night vision, many times lower light is better,it's like being blinded when you turn on your car high beams in a snow storm.

None of this is crystal clear diving here in Maine, even under the best of conditions so back scatter is always present. Trying low power or even diving the back-ups may be worth a try.

Thanks,
Pete

Hoping this isn’t a hijack and more of a side note….some things for the night dive in Kona which I’m assuming is the Manta Ray dive. I’ll stay here in the forum vs PM so if someone else reads for the same reason as
LindaBluedolphin:
plan do the Kona night dive when I am there next week, but that is pretty simple from what I understand, go to a spot plop yourself down, shine your light and if you are lucky watch the show.
-The boat moors very near a crate of dive lights set down at dusk to attract the Manta’s and is visible in the distance to aim for. With addition of divers it is quite bright at the ‘circle of light’.

-Consider renting a bigger light, shine it down for a visual reference as just out straight ahead mainly shows the particulate, can be like in a blinding swirling snowstorm.

-Consider extra weight to stay stuck on the bottom or ask the DM to 'just in case'. I was not really solid bottomed out with additional neoprene (cold at dive 4) and positive fins and there was surge – didn’t add enough weight, just enough for a good weight check on the surface – and I bounced on the bottom, all potential stressors.

-Let the OP know concerns as they may have suggestions – they are going to want to do everything they can to make your experience a good one. Listen carefully to the briefing, it should include how to not blind other people and keep from getting hit by the Manta and harming them.

-Ask for a comfortable with night diving buddy that will hold hands with you. If can, do the gentler and less disorienting sitting turn entry from the boat vs Giant Stride. Descend down the mooring line to simplify adjustment and reduce task load, depth is approx 30’ with a slight decline to the viewing site. Set neutral bouyancy there then swim/follow the rest of the group so there are lights ahead and plop on the rubble/sand bottom.

-No worries re: air consumption if the Manta's arrive. Plenty of air without swimming.

-The boat will have a light at the ladder.

I don't know what there is to see at the sites that you're doing the night dives but if you have somewhere within driving distance where there is a lot to see (salt water dive with lots of fish, etc) this may make her forget her discomfort and focus on all the fish/invertebrates.

We've had a decent variety of life everywhere except down in the quarry. I'm thinking a calm confined ocean spot may work best when she's again ready...... Thanks

Pete

gcbryan:
I don't know what there is to see at the sites that you're doing the night dives but if you have somewhere within driving distance where there is a lot to see (salt water dive with lots of fish, etc) this may make her forget her discomfort and focus on all the fish/invertebrates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom