Night Diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Muchas gracias everyone for the info. I will have my husband read your replies and hopefully we will be able to do a night dive!

muy bueno!

I was reading your post about night dives and had a couple of questions, if you don't mind?

I'm headed down to G Cayman at the end of the month and scheduled a night dive. From everything I've heard they are terrific. I'll be going through Ocean Frontiers and they certified me. Basically they have a shallow reef 25-30 feet max and that's where I did my first two open water check out dives. Then we did some wall diving and the bottom was about 1000 feet or more. On typical night dives do you go out to walls, or do you stay in shallow areas? The shallows had lots of stuff to look at and were fairly safe, but I'm sure the walls had just as much but aren't as safe at night.
What depths do you usually go to on night dives?
Just curious.

Night diving in Cozumel is mindblowing and TOTALLY not to be missed. I did my first night dive there, and was nervous when I jumped off the boat, but instantly lost that as soon as I looked around. It was, well, moving. I was in tears when I came up from the dive. It. Was. Amazing. I was apparently a curiosity to several octopi, who approached me and touched me with their little sucker arms to see what I felt like. One even grapped my octopus (you know what I mean, the one on my reg!) and was playing with it. I will never, EVER forget that dive.

Buckeye, DMs usually pick shallow sites for night dives, 40' or less. Depends on the DM though. And from what I have found at resort operations, they usually take you out to the reef during the second tank of the day, then the same reef at night, so you are familiar with it. Not to worry. You will be safe from the boogey monsters of the deep!

Yes there are differnt kinds of critters out at night and lots of glowy things. But even if there wasn't any sea life out at night I would night dive. To me the best part of night diving is the surrealness of it. When the moon is out it creates awesome effects on the surface above you. And when the moon ISN'T out I like to cover my flash light for a moment and just float in the black void. There really is no way to describe it.

Back
Top Bottom