Night Snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I was told by one of the opperators in cozumel who offers night time snorkeling tours that he is not currently offering it because of the shallow reef damage. He said that their just is not a lot to see now in the shallows. This makes me sad as I would be happy seeing very little.... having never been to Coz I wouldn't know what I was missing out on because I never saw it in its full glory. I would be happy with a few rock piles with critters scurrying around them.

Ron, not ready for the night dive yet. I am one of those girls that cries before I dive if I get scared about something. I am not ready to set up a night dive... pay for it and not be able to do it because I am a wuss. Diving has been a very hard sport for me to adjust to. I am working on it, but in baby steps. That is why I want to try a night snorkel first. To acclimate myself to the feel of being in the water at night. The only water I have been in, in the dark is a hot tub. Big difference compared to the ocean. lol

We are there Jan 29th to Feb 6th

I wish I could figure out how to make that count down timer work. I set it but it never shows up in my posts. sigh...

scubasherry:
Well, I was told by one of the opperators in cozumel who offers night time snorkeling tours
Ron, not ready for the night dive yet. I am one of those girls that cries before I dive if I get scared about something...

If you decide to night snorkel you don't need to do a 'tour' if you do one of the spots like La Ceiba. The only thing is whether they are allowing it at all right now.

Just a word of encouragement, if you do get the moxy up to try a night dive. You will love it! Do a single tank night dive, it will be pretty shallow, you'll start the dive at twilight so it will still be quite light out, you will hardly need a light at first. then as the dive progresses it will get darker and seem really natural.
Take your time, when your ready give it a go, it's really cool!

Just wanted to quickly agree with everyone suggesting the night snorkel. I've done it a bunch of times (including in Coz) and other than thinking about possible boat traffic, you've got nothing to worry about.

I also agree with sharky about not needing to go on a guided tour. Last time I was in Coz, we night snorkeled every night behind the house we rented. It was about a 1 on a scale from 1 to 10 as far as interesting snorkel sites go - pretty much just sand with some rubble piles, but we saw some cool stuff anyway (a couple of big octos and some free-swimming eels). Cool stuff tends to come out at night, even if the site isn't the most exciting.

Where is La Cieba? we are staying at a B&B in the Corpus Christi neighborhood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom