Nightmare on Dive Shop Street

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaardappel once bubbled...
....I move around enough (1x per 1.5 yrs on average), so I intend on getting my gear serviced at whatever local dive shop I go to and not by mailing my stuff back to the seller for "local" servicing by the original dealer. In my case, that the cost outwieghs the benefit of what the LDS can provide me should I have bought it from them.

I think you may be confused about how the warranties work when items are purchased at an LDS and online.

When dive gear is purchased at an LDS (authorized dealer), then ANY authorized service facility, anywhere on the planet can perform service/warranty work.

When dive gear is purchased online, it may or may not be serviced by an authorized dealer/service facility (as you found). If you are diving in an area with only one authorized service facility in the region, and they choose not to provide service since it was purchased online, you're out of luck.

Many online purchases require the item to be shipped back to the online retailer (Leisure Pro, for example), for any warranty service. This can have a very detrimental effect on your dive vacation.

I'm not saying not to buy online. Just make sure you know what the warranty is (manufacturer or provided by seller), how service/repairs/replacements will be handled, and what charges you will be responsible for.

Also consider how long a ".com " site may be around.

I buy most of my gear through my Course Director in Texas. The prices I pay are below anything I can find online. I did however, just buy a Bare wetsuit system online as my CD does not handle Bare, and the outfit in Canada (www.diverswholesale.com) had great prices. I paid less than 1/2 of what I would have paid by going to the local Bare dealer in Denver.

DrSteve once bubbled...
I had foul service from this outfit. . . . complained to SSI and they issued me a credit with another dive store .

I second that. Overhead in this dingy closet must be minimal but I don't see how it stays open.

Staff range for disintered and unhelpful to the aggressively misanthropic owner who has no business in a job dealing with the public he so clearly loathes.

The worst operation I've ever seen. Pretty much the worst I can imagine. They literally drive customers into the arms of more competent service professionals at other dive shops.

I have a simple set of "rules" for LDS shopping (I've been using one LDS for about 4 years now and DM there part time as well)

I know that several items I got there could have been gotten cheaper online but the service I get there makes up for a lot in my book.

I always give them 1st chance at a sale. If they say they don't or won't carry the item I want, I go elsewhere.

If they don't have it in stock but say they can get it, I work out with them what my deadline for delivery is. If they don't have it in time, I go elsewhere for the item (EG: an item I'll need for a trip or something like that).

Most of my current gear came from there and all my gear service (whatever I don't maintain myself) gets done there.

Just because he is the LDS owner and has been in business for a long time does not mean the LDS owner/tech knows everything. Do your own research and figure out what you want before you go to the shop. Know WHY (what features are important) you want that particular item/model/brand of gear. If the LDS doesn't have or can't get what you want, maybe they have something equivalent. If you know enough about what you want beforehand, you can better make the decision on wether to take whatever they have in stock or shop elswhere for what you wanted in the first place.

EG: My LDS owner decided that steel LP 45 tanks would be good for sling bottles as they are easier for him to fill high O2 mixes in. I wanted AL40s because I don't like the bouyancy issues with steel sling bottles and am willing to deal with possible higher prices for fills. After talking it over with him, he ordered the AL40s for me. :wink:

I usualy buy straight from the owner other than small clips and stuff and, so far, I think we've gotten along prety good.

domino22 once bubbled...
I got kicked out of a class when the lds owner found out I had bought two computers online. Here is my suggestion if asked where you bought it lie. Tell them on vacation in some place far away from where you live an add my old one broke-lost it-or a dog on the beach stole it. But LIE! The truth doe's not help you in this scenario- most of the time. But it helps to add it was a local dive shop in the place you just lied about. So be carefull with the lies they gotta stay consistent. Do not pull a slick willy because you will get busted. Like he did!

I agree--but the shop here in Central part of Jardappel's current state- Wanted the reciepts if he would do any service (which I found out..that he sends the stuff to a shop up state) I did purchase my gear from an good LDS in Colorado--but the implication that I had committed some kind of criminal act before being able to get it serviced is nonsense!! I will not go to this store any more...period.

I will be going to the reported "good" shop jardappel reported on...and they are even an atomic dealer! *gasp*
Also found out they are very good on the prices for annual service!

While leisurepro and divers direct (i think) are not authorized to sell gear a lot of online stores are authozied dealers i.e. scuba.com, scubatoys.com, and 123scuba.com and since they are authorized dealers LDS will service them. If they do not they are just being idiots:)

Bob3 once bubbled...
Never EVER use the words "online", "internet" or even "e-mail" when in a dive shop.

That being said, my local shop out here in CA could give a hoot where the stuff comes from, they give excellent service to everyone, which is why they have my business.:wink:

Completely agree with Bob3 here. Bottom line, it's none of the LDS's business where you bought your gear. It could have been a gift from someone in another city. You could have recently moved to this new city and are looking for a new dive shop to trade with..........but never tell them you buy online. They will cold shoulder you FOREVER.

to purchasing online gear you'd think they would sabotage your gear on purpose! I know this sounds drastic, but if are already miffed at your online purchase who's to say they service your equipment with less enthusiasm maybe missing something. Even though you'll pay them more to service, and pay for parts as well they still cop an attitude!

oharag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom