Nikon, Oly, or Canon Which P&Shoot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with Alcina on the A95. I really wonder how many people using a p/s shoot RAW anyway. AA batteries, CF cards, compact...

The Olympus C-5060 is a great camera, but it's going to cost a lot more money. The biggest limitation is that the 28mm lens is going to have vignetting problems if you try to use a 67mm wide angle adapter. You can get around that by using a dome port in front of Olympus' land wide angle lens. That's a fine solution for wide angle but you won't be able to do macro on the same dive. If you're spending that kind of money, the S70 is a highly worthy camera. Inon now has a wide angle lens to fit the S70's smaller 28mm lens.

herman:
If you intend to use it UW, I would suggest you reconsider getting a P&S. You really need to be able to go manual for UW. As a suggestion look at the Oly C-765. It has a very good macro mode (very important UW for me), a 10x optical zoom (IMO very important on land and the only thing I dislike about my C5050's 3x) and you can get the PT-022 housing for it. I just priced them at B&H - Camera $335 and housing $230 or about $600 by the time you add a couple of cards and batteries. If you get into UW photography, you will be glad you spent the extra and got a camera with macro and manual modes. As it happens a dive buddy was wanting my opinion on this camera the other day so I had the figures close at hand. You can also use an external UW strobe with this camera, something you may well want to add later.

I have the C-765 as well and just got back from Coz with it. Got tons of great pictures. The zoom is very useful and I got lots of great images even from relatively far away from the subject, including a bunch using the full 10x. Great camera if you don't want to fork over the cash for an Oly C-5060/7070/8080. The Olympus white balance feature is also fantastic, though I'm sure other makes probably have similar things.

-Eric

jp_bowers:
Thanks to everyone's responses I have narrowed my choice down to the OLY C770 (or the latest and greatest: the C-775) or the Canon A95.

What do you think about these two and which would you pick?

Thanks............. !!!!!

I have a spreadsheet that shows what is important to me (may or may not be important to you) comparing these two cameras. Send me a PM with your email address, and I'll send it to you.

FWIW, My take - Canon is cheaper, lighter, smaller, smaller housing, takes cheaper CF cards, takes AA batteries
Oly has better zoom, more powerful white balance, flash has slave mode(?)

For a beginning camera, that will also be my land camera for trips, I would still go with the canon. I bought a second digital for land, because my Oly 5050 was just too darn big for a front pocket hiking camera.

Just to throw you a curve...

Like Alcina, i see lots of people every week with different cameras, skills etc

I also get to download a lot of these photos for people and burn them onto cds so see what they shot.

What seems to be the best results that i see, and most importantly seems to have the fastest shutter lag, are Sony Cybershots.

Whatever you choose, make sure you get a red filter for the housing that will introduce colour into your photos, you will get a lot better photos that way because the internal flash is so limiting for Wide shots.

Mike

Got an Olympus Camedia C-5000, 5.0 megapixle, for $200, and the Olympus PT-019 housing for $150, adding a Sea-life slave strobe/arm/tray for $150 very soon, have been taking great pictures, love the size weight and features.

Back
Top Bottom