Nikor 60mm Macro - How is it for Topside Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tx51210:
My big deal is trying to deal with less when I travel. With Airport Luggage apes and theft, I never want to check my equipment so you start thowing out all but the most basic. With the 12-24, 105vr and 10.5. in the bag with ports, I wonder if another lens should make the trip. I am now trying to pick between buying and packing a 60mm or just using the wife's point and shoot for topside.

I carry on a lot more equipment than you list, mostly for topside. I check my ports. I generally carry on the 12~24mm, 18~35mm, 60mm (UW lenses and topside), the 80~200mm, the 18~200mm, the 300mm F4, 1.4X converter, and 2 bodies, 2 flashes, batteries, charger, and accessories like diopters. I check my tripod, housing, and all UW stuff. With the lenses listed I can do 18mm~440mm (35mm EQ), and cover a good bit UW. I want to get the 105mm VR, and the 10.5mm. On my list!

I agree carrying on all this stuff is tiresome, but I just don't like to check my camera gear even if insured.

tx51210:
I agree with your dpreview observations. Most of the pros seem to have abandoned the place and there are more speculation threads than ever.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. I used to contribute daily, but grew tired of the noise. I get so little out of it that it becomes less then time justified to contribute as I generally answer more questions than I ever post.

Nikonians is much better.

I have both the 50 1.8 and 60mm 2.8. The 50 is so small why not carry it for low light. Might have some application for deeper avail light dives, who knows?

Yeah 105VR is high on my list, right after i rob a bank to pay for it. Made the mistake of seeing if fit my Fantasea FD80 housing - and it does with an extension ring. Super fast focusing.

Mulling W/A choices. I need something like a Sigma 10-20 topside, but the new Tokina 10-17FE is getting rave reviews for UW use over on WetPixel. I know buy both, but the bank didn't have that much money in the safe...

Jack

Jack

I ordered everything (or at least it seems that way) last night. I ordered the Ikelite D200 housing, a pair of DS125 strobes, ports for the 105VR, the 8" dome and ports for the 10.5 and 12-24, an Ikelite Mini-C + clamp and a Reef photo fisheye diffuser to use the flashlight as a focus lite. May not be a great focus light but at least it is cheap.

I figured out that I will make my strapping 13 year old son help me carry all this stuff. Since the wife did nor raise a stink over the purchase, I don't plan on making her a pack mule.

I decided to wait on the 60mm lens. Might have had to sell a kidney if I spent any more. Maybe later.
:D
Meanwhile, I will sit here waiting on the UPS man with a smile on my face.

Wow, congratulations! That is a heck of a commitment! I'm still on the fence about replacing my SS200 with ONE DS125 (it will happen, I just have other priorities, like $450 worth of truck maintainence today!).

I think you will enjoy your housing VERY much. Flash TTL is the BOMB! I kid you not. Sure, I get by with setting my stuff manually, but I also miss shots doing so.

Hope UPS arrives early!

RonFrank:
Wow, congratulations! That is a heck of a commitment! I'm still on the fence about replacing my SS200 with ONE DS125 (it will happen, I just have other priorities, like $450 worth of truck maintainence today!).

I think you will enjoy your housing VERY much. Flash TTL is the BOMB! I kid you not. Sure, I get by with setting my stuff manually, but I also miss shots doing so.

Hope UPS arrives early!

There was a great thread a few years back on the Rodale's forum that discussed the progression of underwater photography. I hate I lost it, but basically it priced all the stuff from the first point and shoot thru a full collection of pro equipment and then summed it all up by saying he could have just taken the money and bought a Porsche.

Back
Top Bottom