Niterider lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have owned and extensively used both a Blackwater 3000 (dual-beam halogen) and the NiteRider 10W HID.

I have a very high opinion of both the product and the company that builds them. The battery pack is exceptionally durable and compact. It's lightweight, and you can attach it just about anywhere without it getting in the way.

The HID gets about 3.5 to 4 hours of burn time on a properly charged battery. The burn time on the BW3000 depends on which setting you use. On the 12W setting, you'll get about 3.5 hours. On the 20W setting, about 2.5 hours. On the 32W (both beams) setting, about 1.5 hours. I also really like having the switch on the light head.

About the company ... 5-star customer service! I had to send my HID light back once (after about 300 dives) with a ballast issue, and they fixed it and returned it promptly ... and told me "no charge, it's covered under warranty". Henry Hester and Tom Carroll are top-notch when it comes to dealing with their customers ... you won't find more responsive, professional people to deal with, IMO.

If there's any "knock" on the HID light ... and it's not really a knock so much as an evolved personal preference ... it's that the light beam could be more focused. For the kind of diving I do, a tighter beam has become an increasingly important function. However, if you're planning to use this light for photography or video, the HID light is a perfect choice, as the beam is more of a "flood" with no discernible spot. The other side of that issue though is that the light head is very compact and easy to wear using their velcro strap handle.

Given the above caveat (for those to whom it matters), I would give this light a double thumbs-up ... you can't beat the reliability, performance, and customer service.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i have an older niterider light and have enjoyed since the day i bought it as for blinding people that i look at i bought a second head mount and removed the plastic mounting hardware and glued on to the back of my glove it works better than any goodman handle that i have ever used i highly recommend the niterider lights to anyone interested

I have 2 Blackwater 3000's.

The day before our last trip to Florida I was packing and realized that one of the lights had leaked and had freshwater in it from a previous lake dive. I called Henry at www.niteriderdive.com the next morning and told him of the situation.

Get this!! Henry OVERNIGHTED a loaner Blackwater 3000 to the diveshop in Florida that I was going to be diving from. Talk about customer service!

I have the simple, one lens Nightrider headlight with the neoprene head harness. I love it. I purposely got the non-rechargeable pack model. I can use it with either alkaline batteries (in case I'm where I cannot recharge) or rechargeable batteries of which I have 2.5 sets. One in the charger, one in the light. Most liveaboards in the Pacific (my usual travel) have 110 for chargers. It is more flexible than the lights that have a internal recharge system. It holds 5 d-cells. I also use a handlight because you don't always want to light up an area just because you turn your head to it. You lose too many animals by overlighting them. I use my two lights about 50/50.

Back
Top Bottom