Nitrogen Narcosis Tolerance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Evans once bubbled...
I agree Mech.

If there's a dive I want to go do, but I don't have the equipment to do it, I don't do the dive. I call it. As simple as that.

As an instructor in Seattle, I wouldn't allow my students to dive in a 5 mil wetsuit in the Puget Sound. Sure, they could do it, but it doesn't mean it would be safe. That's not the right equipment.

When I dive in a wreck, I view my reel as a mandatory piece of equipment. If I don't have my reel, I don't go in the wreck. The dive would be unsafe otherwise.

Well - I view the gas I dive as the MOST important piece of "equipment" I carry.

And if the "equipment" isn't right, then I don't do the dive - or I modify the dive plan to suit the equipment on hand.

I guess youll never be able to do some of the best dives in the world since you wount be able to get He...

for truk, if you manage to get everything lined up to get he shipped to truk, a single "K" cylinder ends up costing you $250 for the gas, $100+ for shipping, $350 for deposit/rental, which will be partially returned when it gets back to guam (anothr $100+ for shipping), and last time I was there noone had a booster so your going to waste He to boot.

In that case you then either dive a very light He mix or use a rebreather...

David Evans once bubbled...
PadiScubaPro:

Wanted to clarify that I'm not trying to be argumentative with you. Just stating my opinion.

Regarding Truk and Bikini:

I *sincerely* thank you for letting me know that He is impossible to get there. Both are dream destinations for me. If the conditions there require He to get to do the cool dives, and it's not available, I guess I won't get to go.

:(

-d

I'm not trying to be argumentative either.. I was just stating some facts from personal experience.. Bikini would be a useless trip since everything is deep, truk is still a great destination you'll just have to saty away from the deepest wrecks..

I don't know what your personal limit is but from memory the deck of the san fransico maru can be reached at around 160, the aikou maru around 140, the shinkou about 130 or 140.. there are polenty of wrecks that can be reached and enjoyed without breaking recreational limits..

MechDiver once bubbled...

Famous last words of the Rouses. The decision to call a dive is always a choice. Making a dive that is stupid because you don't have the correct equipment...is just that.

I don't disagre with you, penetrating a U-boat at 240 ft is a really good place to use trimix.

But trimix would not have solved all thier problems. It would have been unlikely to have prevented one from getting stuck under fallen debri and or the otther from going in after him. And if the Rouses had used Trimix, they would have most likely not gotten out of the wreck at all given the higher consumption associated with trimix. Not being able to locate their deco bottles would have been a moot issue.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...

<snip>
There is some degree of validity to the "use the right tool for the job argument" but if trimix is not available for that 130 ft dive, the job won't get done as you will be sitting on the boat.
<snip>

Actually, I'd say "the right tool for the right job". It depends, in my mind, what you're doing down there. I've been to 140 many times on air but I haven't been task-loaded or working hard either. These were float-around-and-look-at-stuff dives. If you dive like MHK does (ie. you take a transport truck full of gear with you and you need to be alert enough to be able to manipulate it while making on-the-fly deco calculations) then any kind of narcosis is too much. If you're bouncing to 130 for a few minutes with minimal (albeit redundant) gear and looking at the fishes swim past before ascending to a shallower depth for the remainder of the dive within your NDL then you're talking about something entirely different. The argument that it's all the same doesn't wash with me.

R..

Harvo once bubbled...
what is it like
Does it make you feel high?:confused:

Hi!

I believe the effects differ from person to person...for me it's an unpleasant sensation. Also I get colours dancing in the distance that can be rather disorientating. And all this from a very short time at depth never exceeding the "non-deco" limits of a comp.

Please don't attempt to "get" it just to feel HIGH, it may NOT be the perceived nice kind of experience as documented in theory books.

Cheerio :D

Mossie once bubbled...

Hi!

I believe the effects differ from person to person...for me it's an unpleasant sensation. Also I get colours dancing in the distance that can be rather disorientating. And all this from a very short time at depth never exceeding the "non-deco" limits of a comp.

Please don't attempt to "get" it just to feel HIGH, it may NOT be the perceived nice kind of experience as documented in theory books.

Cheerio :D

Being narced makes me the most relaxed and happy I ever get diving.... it probably makes me sluggish and inattent too but I don't feel sluggish and inattent when it's happening.

I've been *really* narced on one occasion. I went deeper than I had planned on to assist someone who started free-falling along a wall. When I caught him I looked at my instruments and immediately forgot what they said. It took all my concentration to figure out how to get the the ascent started. That was at a little less than 200ft/60m. Not fun.

R..

Back
Top Bottom